Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-16, 19:37

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 269/269/200 Female 5'6""
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question Is ankle swelling common when starting low carb?

This is my first full day starting low carb eating. I haven't had any salty foods, or add any salt to my meals. Eggs,butter, mayo and water to drink. I already take a BP med. which has a duretic in it, and has me running to the bathroom often throughout the day.I have never had this happen before. My job requires me to stand most of the time, but I never have swelling. This afternoon at work I noticed the swelling. Anyone have this happen to them?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-16, 06:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/215/160 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 21%

Hi there

I suffered with leg swelling due to an anti seizure medication that I take which made me retain fluid. As a result I was prescribed diuretic meds as well.
As the low carb way of life is a natural diuretic I have successfully weaned myself off the diuretic meds and now suffer very little.
Obviously, I don't know what is going on inside your body but I would urge you to stick with it and see if things settle down once your body adjusts - and stick to drinking lots of water.
Compression socks may offer you some relief while at work and I wish you every success.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-16, 08:37

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

The first day is too early to see dramatic changes. But you NEED salt when you are low carbing. As your insulin levels drop, you stop carrying salt into the fat cells, because you're not carrying sugar there. And that's how we retain salt.

Add salt to your food, drink salty broth, even add salt to a glass of water, if you need to. It will help to minimize or even prevent carb flu, the rotten feeling as your body switches over to ketosis.

Hope today works well for you!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-16, 09:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Swollen ankles seems weird. One thing about LC to know is that it is sodium depleting. Once you lose a lot of sodium, your kidneys can't hang onto other minerals and recycle them. You may be one of the few people that needs to be careful with sodium, or not. Most people have high blood pressure that sodium doesn't play a role in (despite what doctors tell you).

Also, don't force a lot of water either. I think that can cause more issues than it helps.

Read the salt thread and see if there's anything there that helps. You might also try a using some nu-salt which contains a lot of potassium.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-16, 15:29

BF:

Thank you very much for all the advice and support. Interesting about needing salt. I will remember that, and start having more of it. Compression socks would probably work very well. Im a hairstylist and stand pretty much in one spot all day. My ankles aren't as swollen today. I just thought it was odd, since it happened over night. Thanks again everyone ☺
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-16, 18:23
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Athletic compression knee stockings, the "R" ones from Walmart helped me recover with my injured foot and ankle. Even when walking, biking or standing. They are $6
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-16, 22:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hmmm .. I've never had ankle swelling from low carb but I like Mike's suggestion, especially if you stand all day for work. Put those feet up when you get home!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-16, 06:03

BF:

Thanks! I really need to try the compression socks. They would probably be very helpful. Yes, the swelling was so strange. Literally over night. I only have a little swelling today. It's just not normal for me. I was just at my pcp last month. Bloodwork, blood pressure etc. Normal. Maybe I'm just getting old 😂
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-16, 08:21

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Aren't we all!