Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories > Milestones
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-13, 19:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/171/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default Three Years and Counting

So, three years ago this week, I discovered that Atkins was not nearly the crazed heart-destroying fad that I thought it was. And it has been an exciting three years!

Currently, I’m up about 12 lbs from my lowest weight on this low carb journey. And I didn’t really feel like I deserved to be here, putting something in the Milestone thread. I am not the poster girl for low carb. I gained weight over the winter and still haven’t been able to focus enough to shake it off. I make A LOT of mistakes and unhealthy choices. But here’s the thing. Where would I be if it were not for Atkins? I’m still down 23 lbs from when I started this journey. I exercise for pleasure regularly. I ran a half marathon last year. I’m down from a 14/16 in pants to a loose 10. Most importantly, the stomach aches that plagued me before Atkins are gone. The low back pain that used to be a nearly constant friend is mostly gone. I have very low triglycerides.

As a member of this forum, I have learned so much! I have met very few low carbers in physical life, but here I’ve made new friends and benefitted from the wisdom of my senpai (those ahead).

After three years, I remain convinced that low carb is the healthiest way of eating for me. This journey will continue to have its ups and downs, but I am so grateful that I have the knowledge of low carb to help me on my way.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-13, 05:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi Liz,
Congratulations on the all the successes you have had, and there are many! I started Atkins August 6th three years ago and forgot to write an update, so hope you do not mind adding to yours. Like you I am about 12 pounds over my lowest weight, but only a few over a "healthy BMI" which is my line in the sand. I can completely abandon carb counting for weeks, adding that paleo wine and dark chocolate way too much, and only gain a few easily lost again pounds.

Do you think your pain relief is from giving up wheat ?(Dr. Davis mentions that on his one hour lecture I posted in research thread). That's the one thing I never touch. Do you eat soy products, natural fermented or processed? Another thing I never eat for other health reasons.

Fantastic that you ran a half-marathon! Won't see me running, but I wake up with great energy that lasts all day, and the combo of lack of hunger and constantly moving seems to keep the weight off naturally. And like you, just tested last week, super low Trigs and super high HDL...and luckily have a doctor who "just wrote the book" that LDL and TC are not the markers to watch.

All good news Liz. Thanks for adding your wonderful milestone thread!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-13, 08:40

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Congratulations! What a wonderful positive thread.

I've been low carb since December 2003 (starting with South Beach), but in Sept 2010, I "renewed my vows" so to speak with Atkins. I've lost as much as 26.5 since then, but then put on about 14 last year. This year I've been much more rigorous again and have lost 11 of them.

But the bigger picture, as you say, is the health. Even though I gained some weight back, my health remained excellent. I'm convinced those ups and downs in weight are part of life, but as long as we maintain our health, we're ahead of the game.

May you have many more successful low carb years.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-13, 10:54

Plan: HF/LC Primal
Stats: 235/134/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Congratulations
I love your story! Nobody's perfect
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-13, 11:35
Operation Ann 2013

Stats: 310/297.0/150 Female 5ft 1 in
BF:Of course!! :)
Progress: 8%

That's wonderful, I love your approach and realization not everything goes the way intended. I wish you continued good luck and dang isn't the food great on Atkins, what other "diet" or plan would allow you to eat fat rich meat's without cheating!!!!

Enjoy!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-13, 12:59

Stats: 204/150/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Congratulations Liz! You have so much to celebrate and to be proud!

This way of life has so many benefits; weight loss being only one.

My favorite saying is, "I'm happy & proud to be an "After Story"!

Cheers!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-13, 15:03

Stats: 245.8/000.0/160 Female 5' 7.5"
BF:Too much!
Progress: 286%

Congratulations on three years Liz. That is itself is a huge accomplishment. Wishing you many more low carb years!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-13, 17:25

Stats: 174/164/125 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 20%

Congratulations!
And it is nice to hear that we don't have to be perfect to experience the benefits.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-13, 01:18

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

That's really inspiring. Thank you for posting!

I have stats almost like you and I've been low carb for one year. I haven't lost anything for two or three months but I really love this way of eating. I do occasionally have a desert in a restaurant if its based on cream or mascarpone and/or fruit and I drink wine and eat 90% chocolate, a couple of squares most evenings. I feel fit and well and have a whole new wardrobe. Maybe I'll try to shift a few more pounds one of these days but above all I'm determined not to put any back on!