Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-10, 09:59

Plan: low carb
Stats: 140/140/125 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress:
Question Anyone with any good low carb food stores in Ottawa? am new!

Hi all - am 1 week into going low carb and am having a hard time finding some good low carb food in Ottawa - anyone know of any stores?

I'm finding lots of things online but its all dated back to 2004 (when the atkins craze was going on) so Im wondering if any of this info is still relevant?

Any tips you can provide is greatly appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-10, 10:15

Plan: Zero Carbs since 01/09
Stats: 220/134.8/135 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

The only place I ever shopped online from Canada is from here. It is by far the best selection and I got the stuff shipped to Alberta (spend $100 and shipping was only $7!)

Or you could drive the 5 hours to their retail store in Toronto.

http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/storelocator.php
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-10, 11:18

BF:
Progress:

thanks!! I just made an order wonder how long it will take to get here, am excited to get it!

mmm tortillas....
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-07-10, 11:23

Plan: Zero Carbs since 01/09
Stats: 220/134.8/135 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

If I placed an order today I would have it by next Monday... you are much closer so I suspect by Friday maybe?

The thing I love about that site is they have real ratings from the buyers.. that helps a LOT.

enjoy!!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-08-10, 10:15

BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

would you believe I just got it??

it came overnight!!!! this is great - can't wait to try the tortillas later!

thanks for the great recommendation
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-19-10, 11:59

Plan: none
Stats: 177/162/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

nice to find this site. My partner and I, both Canadian, live in London and have been doing the low-carb thing since the end of March. I've lost 15 pounds and am feeling pretty great. I still have approx 30 to go but I like the "slow and steady" approach of this diet. Yes we both lost a lot in the first two or three weeks but have settled down to approx 1 pound per week. If we exercised more I'm sure we'd lose more faster, but this way it feels like a longterm lifestyle and not some fad diet.

I found this site because we'll be visiting friends in Kanata, Ontario later in the summer and we wanted to know if we could pick up some Atkins bars in case we want something sweet. I was amazed to read all the suggestions, where to buy LC bread, ice cream, treats, etc. My partner and I don't eat anything like that anymore, LC or not. We're finding ourselves reaching more for "nature's candy" i.e., fruit instead.

Do other people find that the LC lifestyle prods you in the direction of healthy eating? Do you feel, like I have come to, that LC makes you examine WHY you want to eat? The most striking thing for me during the last three months is allowing myself to feel hungry in order to eat. I no longer reach for the licorice all sorts or chocolate bars now when I'm feeling stressed...if there's nothing healthy at hand I just tell myself "it's ok, I'll have some fruit or veg when I get home" and I get over it.

In terms of cook books, we've been using this one (more in the induction phase but we still consult it regularly for recipes): "The Low Carb Long Term Lifestyle" by Carolyn Humphries. It's been really good for breakfast recipes, our favourite being an egg cooked in a beefsteak tomato, with shredded cheese on top. While it was difficult to get used to during the first two weeks, I can no longer imagine eating a bowl full of Shreddies covered in brown sugar for breakfast!

Anyway, can someone tell me the best grocery stores to visit while we're in Kanata?

Thanks!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-10, 09:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/175/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 83%

Hey CoffeHead!

I just joined here today. I've been on and off low carb for a few years now. I live in Ottawa. I figure you've probably been to Kanata already and hope you found some stuff. I find the "superstore" and walmart are really the only place I've found "Atkins" per say. There are some lowcarb bars at the Natural Food pantry as well as some other health food stores around.

Honestly, I don't look for the stuff much anymore because I find, just like you, that I just don't eat it anymore. It was great to have the options as I made the transition but now, it's almost as if it's Not real food. I eat very little process/pre-made/packaged food and yes, reach for the "au naturelle" stuff most of the time. I think pound for pound/carb per carb it's way more efficient and you get way more nutrition. I know it can be difficult to believe when you're starting but I would like to think in my optimistic way, that you do naturally move towards this state as you heal and really give your body what it needs.

I could go on and on about this forever... but yeah, I agree! )