Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 22:53

Plan: PP
Stats: 140/136/125
BF:
Progress: 27%
Question when should I start losing?

I have been eating ~ 20 carbos a day for 10 days, drinking copius amounts of water, taking Xenadrine 2 times a day, eating plenty of protein, and have been in Ketosis for ~ 8 days but my scale refuses to budge. I don't really exercise but lead a very active life. What could I possibly be doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 23:06

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

It is hard to tell without seeing what you are eating. I would suggest you start a journal in the journals section and post a couple of days worth of your menus. Looking forward to seeing it.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 23:09
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Generally people who don't have a lot of weight to lose lose more slowly that those with a lot. If you look at it in terms of %, it works out to be the same.

Since you are new, one of the great features of the forum is the search function. If you click on the little globe with magnifying glass at the top right of the page, you can type in a search question and come up with great threads and converstations.

I typed in 'slow weight loss' and came up with these two discussions.

Slow weight loss 1

Slow weight loss 2.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 23:10

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

With little weight to lose the road will be longer for you, Anne. 15 lbs represents 100% of your goal, for someone with over 100 lbs to lose, 15 pounds is a drop in the bucket; think percentages instead of pounds and you'll feel better. 7 lbs lost for you will be 50% of the journey

I see you've read and are doing PP; have you used the formula at the front of the book to figure out your % of body fat? 125 lbs on a 5'6" frame may not be a reasonable goal. Muscle mass, frame size and age will all effect your ideal weight. You may be a lot closer to your ideal weight than you realize. Using % of body fat will help you figure that out.

I would give it more time and I suggest starting up a Journal in the bootcamp section of the Forum where you can keep track of what you're eating and drinking and we can help spot some possible troubles.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 23:29

BF:

I know I don't have much to lose but if you saw all of the dimples on my b***, you'd think I need to lose a few as well :-). I've computed my body fat and figured out how much protein I need to eat. My body fat worked out to ~ 25% and my protein intake should be ~ 85g/day. I think the only think I may be doing wrong is not eating enough calories. I don't really keep track (I'm going to try to start a journal tomorrow--can't recall all that I ate today) of how many calories and grams of fat I eat per day but I eat plenty of cheese, eggs, butter, meat, etc. I do not, however, eat fatty cuts of meat. I just can't bring myself to do that!

Again, I know I don't have much to lose, and honestly feel guilty about posting here. I'm trying to nip my weight gain in the bud, before it becomes a problem, as obesity runs in my family. I appreciate any input.

Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 23:58

BF:

Also, can I be in Ketosis and not lose weight due to deficient caloric intake? I'm not restricting my calories whatsoever but after reading many journal entries, I fear that may be my problem. I do drink a protein shake (1 carb) per day to ensure I'm getting enough protein so I don't think that is the problem (that is, if not eating enough protein can be).

Thanks,
Anne