Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 15:58
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default What size dumbbells??

I'm going to go out tonight and get a set of dumbbells so I can start BFL on Monday... what weights do I need (to start with)?

I'm thinking 1,3,5,10, 15 ? Do I need to go any higher than that now? I have virtually zero strength as I've been a couch potato since.....well, forever, and I'm 43 y.o.

Any other equip I should get? Do I need gloves?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 16:45

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

I say no to gloves---my weightlifting callouses are my pride and joy. Seriously, I lift pretty heavy and don't feel the need for them.

Don't bother with anything under 3 pounds, I'd say. (Water bottles weigh about a pound, if you need that light of a weight for something like lateral arm raises.) Also, for the least expense, buy adjustable weights. You get the bars, and some plates, and you can always go out and buy more plates as you need them. CAVEAT: Buy ones with quick-release collars. Otherwise you spend too much time changing weights. A set like this will see you through forever...even those days in the future when you're benching your body weight. I've had mine for...wow, 15 years. Every once in awhile I spray paint them for the heck of it--just so they look different.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 20:43

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Welcome to the club, Terri

I agree with Raz - get the quick release weights and don't bother with anything lower than 3 -4 lbs. You may want a few of the precast weights - I tend to use my 10s, 15s and 20s a lot so it's handy to have them there always set up.

At first gloves won't be an issue - however once you start lifting heavier and especially if you're using dumb bells you'll appreciate them. It's frustrating when your grip gives out well before your legs do. I started using mine around week 5 and it made a big difference.

Happy shopping !
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 21:46
Starting Over!

Thanks Raz and Nat!! I appreciate your input very much.

Thanks, too, for the inspiration and support you girls constantly provide. It's amazing to me what this board has meant to me in my quest for a better bod and healthier me!

I can't wait to start pumping!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 08:41
Starting Over!

Just FYI, perhaps for other out-of-shape BFL newbies like myself, this is what I started with and is working out fine:

A pair quick release dumbbells w/ 2.5, 5, and 10 lb. weights (4 of each). (The dumbbell itself weighs 3 lbs. so the weights are actually 8, 13, 18 and 23) I also got a pair of 5 lb. cast weights, which are good for the level 5 warmups and weaker muscle workouts (like my triceps!...those 5 lbs. feel like 20 sometimes!)

I actually got a whole set of weights (110 lbs. total), a barbell, 2 dumbbells and 6 quick release clips....all for $30 at a local discount sporting goods store.

You'll also need some type of bench..... a sturdy coffee table will do! I bought one, very simple but padded for $40.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 10:23

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care

fantastic, Teri! $70 is about what some gyms charge as their initiation fee...and as I said before, that equipment will last long enough for you to will it to your grandkids!

The barbell is great, too--I find bench presses, french presses (headbangers) and upright rows work better for me with a single bar.

Now I'm looking forward to hearing your tales of soreness, of muscle gain, and of pride in your achievements!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 14:21
Starting Over!

Smile Thanks, Raz

Yeah, I like the barbell, too....and I already did "bang my head" with a dumbbell when I was trying to go for a 10 and my tricep failed on a lying extension....LOL. OUCH! Ok, lesson #1....don't go for your 10 on a lying ANYTHING unless it's attached to a cable!

Well, after my 1st UBWO my triceps are still a little sore after 2 days and I did my LBWO+abs this morning and my abs are already sore!! Yikes! But in general, I tried to take it a little easy just to see how far I can push w/o overtraining. So all is well. I'm really, really enjoying the cardio workouts. There's a guy in the clubhouse who's usually weight training and doing the elliptical while I'm on the stationary bike....and yesterday after I had finished he said, "You're already done?" I just beamed at him (with sweat running into my eyes) and said, "YEP! Have a great day!"
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 18:22

BF:
Default Re: Thanks, Raz

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriDoodle
There's a guy in the clubhouse who's usually weight training and doing the elliptical while I'm on the stationary bike....and yesterday after I had finished he said, "You're already done?" I just beamed at him (with sweat running into my eyes) and said, "YEP! Have a great day!"

Yep, I've heard that one a lot !!! Those funny looks when you finish up after 20 minutes - it's worth every glance when they see the results though

Pushing yourself to failure won't result in overtraining - it will result in sore muscles the first few times out. Remember when you do fail (when you can't do another rep w/o breaking form) to stop - pushing yourself further at this point can result in injury. Overtraining refers to training that is done too often and w/o enough rest and can present as exhaustion, a constant cold, weakness and that general 'blah' feeling - it usually happens after months of hard, intense exercise w/o break.

Sounds like you're having a blast - doesn't it feel great to actually know where your triceps are?

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 19:57
Starting Over!

Thumbs up Good info, Nat

Thanks for correcting me about the "overtraining".... I thought that if I exercised to failure right out of the shoot that I might cause injury and not be able to exercise on schedule. Great! You've just given me the green light to push a little harder. Trainerdan said to take it easy the first couple of weeks (which probably isn't reallly BAD advice) but I want to GO GO GO!

.....And yes, I like being sore So does that make me part of some kind of sicko club?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 20:03

BF:
Default Re: Good info, Nat

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriDoodle
And yes, I like being sore So does that make me part of some kind of sicko club?

You betcha, the Bodacious Masochistic BFL Babes

Taking it easy is good advice - there's a fine line. Work to failure but don't push yourself. Usually the first few weeks are spent learning what 'failure' is if you've never lifted before. Trying to bench press with two 25 lb dumb bells would have been pushing it for me when I started - it took a while to figure out what was failure. Also, if you're due for an UBWO and specific body parts are sore - REALLY sore, then skip them. Take it easy Never work a sore muscle.

HTH
Nat