Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 12:25
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%
Cool Reassurance for those scale obsessed

Did I even spell obsessed right? Damn, who knows.

Anyway, just wanted to give all those like me who are a bit, um, scale crazy some reassurance that the scale just ain't all that.

Sometime during the weekend is my official weigh and record time. I weigh, take my waist measurement, and a picture if I feel in the mood and record it all. I actually weigh and measure every stinkin day, but only record once a week.

So, I get on the scale and see the stupid weight gain I noticed earlier in the week has not gone away! ACK!!! It isn't much-a pound or pound and a half, but still-no one wants to see the scale move to the left. So, I have to record a weight gain in my spread sheet and on fitday(I refuse to change my stats here-HA). Bugger. Then I decide to measure myself and realize my waist has gone down a bit, which is good-about two tenths of an inch. Then I decide to measure my thigh. I had done this about two weeks ago just to give myself another area to look at. My thigh measurement went down a half an inch since the last time I looked. SO-weight gained, but inches lost. Ha HA!! I am going to assume that the inches lost and weight gain is due to the exercise I do. I lift weights, and recently upped my weight load. Hopefully I am seeing muscle weight gained and will see weight on my body lost in the next week or two. Don't give up even if the scale tells you something you do not like.

The moral of the story is-screw the scale and measure. You never know what you might find (or actually lose).

Paleoanth
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 12:42
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Thanks Paleoanth

I am fighting my scale obsession, but I actually dreamt(nightmared) of getting measured last night. Might be because my measuring day at Curves is on the 06 March!!!

#3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 17:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 354/233/200 Male 5 ft 11 in
BF:YES
Progress: 79%
Default insert subject here...

I guess i need to break down and buy a measuring tape.

Jon
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 02:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/197/168 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Thanks for posting this. I too had my first gain 5lbs! uck!!!!! I am not happy about this - I have not cheated once since starting and am anxiously awaiting my weigh and measure at curves on Wednesday, we will see what that tape measure says.

Truly I am trying not to obsess about the nembers because I know what I have put in my mouth.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 03:10

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I recorded my measurements and weight right before I started LCing and have been keeping track. Many a time, I've been convinced it's not working, then measure and find that the numbers have gone down. Great way to motivate when the scale is not cooperating! Down 16 lbs and 15.5 inches since Jan. 14/03.

Whatever makes you feel GOOD
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 04:45
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%
Default Those old blue jeans...

....of mine, bougt them 1995, started gaining weight 1996 and couldn't even pull them up my thighs until last week! What a feeling!
I still can't wear them, but I can PUT THEM ON!

Surely, all of you have one pair of those?

Better than scale!

Take care!

Alina
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 06:10
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%
Default Re: Those old blue jeans...

Quote:
Originally posted by Alina
....of mine, bougt them 1995, started gaining weight 1996 and couldn't even pull them up my thighs until last week! What a feeling!
I still can't wear them, but I can PUT THEM ON!

Surely, all of you have one pair of those?

Better than scale!

Take care!

Alina

That is the best measure! I actually WORE a pair of jeans I couldn't get into when I started this. I just kept trying them on every couple of weeks or so until one day I could walk around in them.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 09:22
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Paleo,

yes, wonderful!
And I visit some poshy stores and try may "before" and "now" sizes. This is convincing me I'm on the right way, the scale did not move that much since I stopped introduction.

All the best to you!

Alina
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 18:07
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

My scale seems to take sadistic pleasure in telling me that I'm not losing weight...but the tape measure says otherwise!

Stats in journal if anyone cares to see.

Beth
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-03-03, 18:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Amen. I got in really good shape over the summer, lost quite a few inches, but didn't lose one pound. Later that autumn/this winter, I slacked off, lost a fair bit of muscle tone and gained a noticible amount of fat. Still, the scale hardly budged. Now I'm back on track, toned, and see parts that were previously hidden by fat. Guess what? I'm still at that original weight. And no, my scale isn't broken.

<b>The scale does not determine your success!!!</b>

Here's an odd but true story: I read once of a lady who, after low-fat dieting forever, finally lost some weight rather quickly. She was thrilled - she swore that her clothes felt better, that she looked better, and she felt more confident - but then she realized that the numbers were only going down because her son had been playing with the zero mechanism on the scale. She was still her original weight.

What if you found out that your scale isn't working properly, and you actually weigh ten pounds more than you thought you did? Would you be crushed? What if it was ten pounds less? Would you jump for joy? <b>What difference does it really make?</b> It doesn't change how you look, how your clothes fit, or how you feel. At least, it shouldn't: it only does <b>if you let it.</b>