Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-16, 05:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/dietdoctor
Stats: 182/175/159 Female 67
BF:no idea!
Progress: 30%
Unhappy Please Help Me

i am in such a state
i am a sugar addict and chocoholic. badly.
i make home made chocolates and sell them for a living. i have a shop.

i have 2 atkins bars every day. i cant get lower. it's serious. before atkins i used to eat 3 or 4 boxes of chocolates sometimes a night. and if i had ice cream i would have 2 450ml pots of haagen dazs. amazing i only gained 20 pounds.

i lost 9 pounds in 3 weeks since i started atkins. the diet is fine. then yesterday... a propos of NOTHING... i gained back 4 pounds overnight? water i suppose. i am distraught cos i have been sticking to it 100%- i feel i don't understand this diet any more. i have been doing exactly what the NAME book says and then... BAM! i do not know WHY and this is what has really got to me.

if i lose 3 pounds a week, by the end of the first month, i will be fine. but as it stands on nearly four weeks i have lost 5 pounds (the original 9- the 4 i gained overnight) . and that is not enough when i have not cheated ONCE.

please don't be harsh or angry with me as i am in a really bad 'place' cos i feel i have lost control of the diet. i dont understand it any more. you cant fluctuate 4 pounds water over night for no reason. i thought i was getting on fine with it.

it is true that i need 10 hours sleep and last night had only 5 cos its so hot her. that an do it. but 4 pounds... i just cried.

i am determined to understand this diet. i was sure i was onto the winner. now i am not sure i am able to do it. i was so empowered. i really need to get my personal power back.

please help xx i am lost

Last edited by carol2016 : Sat, Jun-25-16 at 08:02.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-16, 07:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well water weight gains over night should be nothing new, you're a woman, it is what we do.

Don't worry about it and know that it will be gone soon. Just stick to the plan.

Now, if you've gone off plan and you gained the weigh real rapidly, that's explained by the physiology of eating carbs. Your muscles and liver store something called glycogen which is essentially excess carbs. It stores a bunch of water with it.

So anyway, stop eating the carbs, it'll come off as you use up the glycogen.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-16, 07:50
Registered Member

hi
i thought i had said, i haven't gone off the plan at all. not once. not one bit.
i knew about water weight but not 4 pounds over night...
thanks for replying anyhow xx carol
again... FOUR POUNDS over night, after a great atkins day.
what a kick in the teeth
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-16, 07:51

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Freaking out about things can by itself cause weight gain by raising the amount of cortisol in your body so the first things you need to try to do is find a way to calm down. A one day fluctuation in weight is nothing to get worried about. Stick with the plan, give yourself some time and see what happens. Our bodies are not machines and linear weight loss is not what most of us experience. If you tell us exactly what you are eating we may be able to make some suggestions about your diet. How many carbs in the chocolate bars you are eating? That could be a problem, but first you have to take a deep breath and try to calm down. This really isn't the end of the world.

Jean
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-16, 07:58
Registered Member

hi
it wasn't chocolate bars it was atkins bars. 3 carbs. i did mention it.
as i said in my post and above, i didn't go over my 18-22 carbs, i didn't cheat, i didnt go off plan. i have been totally successful so far it just happened. but i just got told to put on 4 pounds water weight overnight is totally normal.
and you are telling me about cortisol so i think i will just go.
i did want help, but i think i just needed a hug.
thank you for your input
love carol
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-16, 08:13
Registered Member

ok. i got it sorted on another thread.
thanks all.xx
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-16, 09:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Gaining weight isn't a punishment for a wrong. It just happens sometimes. Maybe the +4 pounds wasn't the issue but the -9 pounds. Maybe you only lost 5-7 pounds of fat and one day you weighed in a little low and the next it read a little high.

Keep calm and keto on.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-16, 09:09

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

My daily fluctuations can be more than 3 pounds. It's
frustrating, but it's part of the process, I guess. I think it happens to everyone. As long as the long term week to week average is headed even a little bit downhill, you will get there. Good luck to you.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-16, 09:10
Registered Member

well, it said i had lost 9 pounds for 5 days...
anyhow, thank you for that idea, i'm sorted now, as i said.
i just needed a friend to hug me!

but i hugged myself. so that's ok xx
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-16, 09:12
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by andante
My daily fluctuations can be more than 3 pounds. It's
frustrating, but it's part of the process, I guess. I think it happens to everyone. As long as the long term week to week average is headed even a little bit downhill, you will get there. Good luck to you.

now THAT is really comforting. i have never heard of that. 3 or 4 pounds whilst sticking 100% to it... bloody hell.

that was ''the hug'' i so needed xx
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-16, 09:16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inflammabl
Gaining weight isn't a punishment for a wrong. It just happens sometimes. Maybe the +4 pounds wasn't the issue but the -9 pounds. Maybe you only lost 5-7 pounds of fat and one day you weighed in a little low and the next it read a little high.

Keep calm and keto on.

i love your avatar. how do you do one, please?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-16, 09:22

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Hi Carol.
STOP, take a few deep breaths. Seriously, take them.
I have read your last few threads, and you are all over the place. It seems like detoxing from all that sugar has left you with a lot of uncomfortable feelings.....pretty much every post you write ends with "please don't be angry at me. i need a hug."
If you give up sugar addiction, you are going to need to find a new coping mechanism for stress.
Here are a few ideas:
go for a walk with a friend/husband/or listen to music while you walk
i enjoy yoga classes
what about lying out in the sunshine
calling a friend to catch up
taking a bubble bath or doing something nice for yourself like painting your toenalis?

you get the idea.
now, try as best you can to relax- this forum is full of supportive and knowledgable people who will offer help, but try not to dismiss troubleshooting as "that isn't problem. i just need a hug."
hang in!
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-16, 09:53
Registered Member

no. i detoxed 3 weeks ago. when i started induction. over night.

i am fine! is all over the place a compliment in america? i don't understand.
i am busy. and really interested in things i am reading on here whilst doing other things.

''now, try as best you can to relax- this forum is full of supportive and knowledgable people who will offer help, but try not to dismiss troubleshooting as "that isn't problem. i just need a hug'' i don't understand this bit at all. and isnt it ok one day to need a hug? i am human. i found what happened this morning very upsetting. a new experience.

i don't really know what to say to that then. hey ho.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-16, 10:16

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

"all over the place" was not intended as a compliment. it means you seem stressed from the tone of your posts, hence needing a hug. Needing a hug is absolutely fine- i was not saying otherwise.
My message to you is simple- sugar for an addict is a crutch to avoid unpleasant feelings. this true of any addiction. when you give that up, you need to find a healthy way to cope with stress.
feel free to take this advice or not, it is the internet. people who respond to you threads are trying to help, so not sure why you are upset.
hmmm.....wonder if it stress?
and it is pyhsiologically impossible to detox from sugar in one night. the switch from glucose as preferred energy source into fat takes 2-3 days minimum. But even so, the mental addiction will take much longer....
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-16, 10:20

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol2016
hi
it wasn't chocolate bars it was atkins bars. 3 carbs. i did mention it.
as i said in my post and above, i didn't go over my 18-22 carbs, i didn't cheat,

Maybe this is what you got sorted out on another thread....I didn't see it, so will respond here.

Atkins bars claim they have 2 or 3 NET carbs, but they contain 20 or so grams of carbs in the form of sugar alcohols and fiber. They also claim that sugar alcohols and fiber are not processed like carbs, but that is not true for everyone. If they give you loose stools or diarrhea (which 2 bars per day would definitely do for me) it is likely you are not fully processing those carbs. But if they digest without intestinal distress then it is likely you are at least partially metabolizing the sugar alcohols and fiber as carbs. How much? Impossible to know. And those carbs will also be added to your glycogen stores, bringing lots of water (and water weight) with them.

My advice - get rid of the bars. Eat vegetables to get your small dose of carbs. The bars are designed to help Atkins Nutritionals bottom line more than they are designed to help you reach your goals.