Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-08, 11:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 362/333/180 Male 6.0
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Weight Training

Question, I am looking to begin some weight training along with some cardio, i am nowhere near my goal, but I have a tremendous amount of energy that I want to begin. My question is, is it too soon to begin weight training??
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-08, 11:30

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

The best advice I have is to ask your doctor before you begin lifting weights or any exercise routine. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-08, 12:50
Rock'in Arizona!!!

Stats: 470/400/300 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Andy as soon as the Doc gives you the OK go for it. Lots of good info on Mark McManus's site he is a LC body builder. Best of luck, just started a new 5 day a week workout program myself. Moved over from Slow Burn, to Marks plan.

http://www.musclehack.com/

He has a free e book that you can down load. Hope you enjoy, best of luck drop by my journal, let me know how its going...Bru
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-08, 11:02

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod101
My question is, is it too soon to begin weight training??

NO! Go for it!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 09:52
Registered Member

Stats: 169/158/120 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 22%

Start out slow and easy the first couple times then enjoy! Muscle helps burn more fat so that is reason enough.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 11:53

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by arod101
Question, I am looking to begin some weight training along with some cardio, i am nowhere near my goal, but I have a tremendous amount of energy that I want to begin. My question is, is it too soon to begin weight training??

If you do start, you'll find out soon enough if it is too soon.

In other words, only you can tell if it's too soon or not. Observe how you react to the exercise once you begin. You may feel like you have more energy than you really have. Or, you may feel like you have more energy than you have the capability to use. You are carrying a whole lot of extra weight after all. When you've lost weight, you'll be stronger comparatively. So take it easy and start slow. Read about it and learn what you can in between bouts.

And if you feel like it's too soon, don't fret. Exercise doesn't do much good for fat loss anyway.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-08, 13:21

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Start out slow... do what you can... increase it as you feel you can handle it.

Weight training and exercise are a great way to help create a calorie balance that favors fat loss. The other part of this equation of course is diet control.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 17:53
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/235/225 Male 6ft 4 inch
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Exercise doesn't do much good for fat loss anyway.

Um..yes it does!

Ever heard of lactic acid training/hiit/tabata/fartlek???

Obviously not.

Weight training burns more calories than cardio so its more beneficial to hit the weights first and do cardio afterwards.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 18:16

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

Yayyy Luffers!!!!!

I keep preaching that people embrace the theory of EPOC..it would save people alot of frustration and they would get quicker results.

Programs like Afterburn, Turbulence and Meltdown training all embrace the Lactic Acid\gh promoting weight loss.

Though they do use interval training as well..HIIT, Tabatas, bodyweight only circuits etc,
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 18:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/235/225 Male 6ft 4 inch
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
Yayyy Luffers!!!!!

I keep preaching that people embrace the theory of EPOC..it would save people alot of frustration and they would get quicker results.

Programs like Afterburn, Turbulence and Meltdown training all embrace the Lactic Acid\gh promoting weight loss.

Though they do use interval training as well..HIIT, Tabatas, bodyweight only circuits etc,

Yep EPOC is where its at!!

A six minute tabata routine with a kettlebell will give better results than 45 mins on the treadmill for sure.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 23:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffers
Um..yes it does!

Ever heard of lactic acid training/hiit/tabata/fartlek???

Obviously not.

Weight training burns more calories than cardio so its more beneficial to hit the weights first and do cardio afterwards.

No, it doesn't. Exercise is useless for fat loss. I've been through this many times before against much better opponents than you appear to be who also had much more elaborate arguments than you just posted and I always came out on top. There is nothing you can teach me about exercise and fat loss that I haven't yet read.

However, I'm willing to go one more time down this road just for kicks. I'll start with this:

http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/

Once you're done reading it, we'll have a word match. I promise to do my very best. Oh, and if nobody did it yet, welcome to the forum. Stick around.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 23:48

BF:
Progress:

Mlevac

You know I consider you my brother..but we have to accept that excercise does help with weight loss..and it helps with body recomposition. One geared toward more muscle and less bodyfat.

Look I champion a VLC|ZC diet..I'm there. But I have seen way to many people lose weight just being active..and I have seen world class athletes lose weight being active on high carb diets.

I kid you not..I witnessed a NFL receiver eat a 16 oz jar of jam for his post workout carb replacement and he followed a high carb diet and he is one of the most shredded human beings on the planet.

Can drugs help this?? Of course they can. But his activity levels were insane..he burnt a ton of calories and he took in a ton of calories.

Stacks of pancakes, bagels, rice cakes, potatoes , rice, pasta, oatmeal,..all energy dense foods taken in huge amounts.

So if excercise didn't keep these guys lean..shouldn't they have all been porkers?? High carb equals fat right? And excercise doesn't help you lose weight,so how did they do it?

These guys were just amazing physical "specimens"..pure thoroughbreds with ultra supreme insulin sensitivity who followed an advanced training protocol that built muscle, endurance, agility and kept them LEAN.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-09, 23:57

BF:

Well maybe you're right. Maybe 8 hours a day every day of intense exercise helps fat loss. But then if that's what it takes we'll all doomed unless we're all athletes.

-edit- We assume that they are lean because they are so active. We don't know that. For all we know, they could be active because they are lean.

Last edited by M Levac : Sun, Jan-04-09 at 00:14.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-09, 00:36

BF:
Progress:

Mlevac..

No not 8 hours a day..just brief, butal and intense..I've never seen so much work done in as little amount of time.

Hardly any rest between sets, no mirrors to check out there form and admire themselves..just business. And all this done within an hours time. It was really inspiring to say the least
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-09, 10:05
Rock'in Arizona!!!

Stats: 470/400/300 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Quote:
I kid you not..I witnessed a NFL receiver eat a 16 oz jar of jam for his post workout carb replacement and he followed a high carb diet and he is one of the most shredded human beings on the planet.

Very rare, not even 1% of the population could attain it! Sometimes drug enhanced, plus the best genetics in the world! There will always be exceptions to any rule! When I was in college wrestling, power lifting, swimming, racquetball, chasing girls all day and night, I could eat or drink anything, carried 10% body fat at 310 pounds. When I stopped working out and kept eating I packed on lots of pounds (of fat and lost muscle). So I do feel exercise is good for you. But I think you are both talking extremes. A fat person that does anything ie; weight lifting, walking, running, ect... is going to see a benefit! Going from nothing to something always seems to work. Their bodies will adapt at some point. That is where the argument seems end up anyway! Even with progressive overload, you will reach a point of adaptation. You can only lift so much weight is a certain amount of time. So do whats right for yourself, if weight loss for you doesn't involve exercise great, it does for me, thats great too. We are all different and this has been talked to death. Everyone needs to find out what and how much works for them.