Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-08, 13:59

Plan: Recently
Stats: 145/120/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 167%
Default Do you get bored with the same exercise routine?

Maybe I am hard to please, but same old cardio and weight routines bore me.
That's why I think having a variety in your workout makes it more fun to do and less likely you'll skip it.
Don't you think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 07:41

Plan: who knows???
Stats: 208/173/175 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Not only more boring, but less likely to produce results. Every 4-6 weeks I catch myself falling into that trap, and then I change up.

I never really consider working out "Fun", but I guess thats in the eye of the beholder. Which makes me wonder, why have I been doing this so long?????
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-08, 10:22

Plan: Atkins/Southbeach
Stats: 315/225/200 Male 73
BF:17.6%
Progress: 78%

I totally agree. I got very lucky when we picked the gym that we joined. It offers a lot of activities: free weights, cardio, nautilus machines, a circuit room (like curves,) racket ball, and of course aerobics classes.

When I started working out I was mainly doing the nautilus room with a warm-up on the treadmills, but I've moved to the "Curve" room and even done a Pilates class. I like to mix it up and do different things. Unfortunately the Pilates class is at a time hard to get to on a regular basis but I'm planning to mix it in as often as I can.

We play racket ball about once a week and do free weights about once a week but my staple has been the circuit room.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 01:42

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 168/128/115 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Exercise bores me, period.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-08, 15:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleave
I totally agree. I got very lucky when we picked the gym that we joined. It offers a lot of activities: free weights, cardio, nautilus machines, a circuit room (like curves,) racket ball, and of course aerobics classes.

When I started working out I was mainly doing the nautilus room with a warm-up on the treadmills, but I've moved to the "Curve" room and even done a Pilates class. I like to mix it up and do different things. Unfortunately the Pilates class is at a time hard to get to on a regular basis but I'm planning to mix it in as often as I can.

We play racket ball about once a week and do free weights about once a week but my staple has been the circuit room.

Are you going to 24 Hour Fitness? 24 Hour Fitness offers free classes like Dance, Yoga, or Pilates to their members. There pools and saunas are a nice luxury too. It's great when you can get more options from a gym than just treadmills and weights. Don't you think?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-08, 09:50

Plan: Atkins/Southbeach
Stats: 315/225/200 Male 73
BF:17.6%
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeNFit
Are you going to 24 Hour Fitness? 24 Hour Fitness offers free classes like Dance, Yoga, or Pilates to their members. There pools and saunas are a nice luxury too. It's great when you can get more options from a gym than just treadmills and weights. Don't you think?

It's a locally owned gym. We don't have 24hr fitness in my area yet. We are however beginning to get those little "boutique" gyms that aren't much larger than a Curves and offer 24hr access.

Quote:
It's great when you can get more options from a gym than just treadmills and weights. Don't you think?

Yes........it's great having options. It's easy with exercise to get bored and joining a gym with a lot going on helps to keep me motivated. Plus it's great to break up those routines and work different muscles.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-08, 17:52

BF:

I like how you say "yet". Pretty soon, the national chains will have their gyms at ever corner! It would be better than the fast food places at every corner tho!

Yes convenient hours are a must! I love that if I wanted to (not saying I am) workout at 5 am, I totally could and the gym would be open for me.

Do you prefer smaller gyms or bigger gyms? 24 Hour has smaller gyms called "Active" gyms. I prefer their bigger "Sport" gyms that have all the features like pools and saunas.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-08, 21:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/210/120 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 7%

I can't say I love exercise but I love the results=)
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 09:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/285/175 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 33%

I have enough different things at home to keep my workouts varied but I rarely get bored. I just like to change now and then to shake things up a bit...guess I am kind of a freak because I really enjoy my workouts...
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 10:40

Plan: Moderate Low-Carb <100g
Stats: 130/110.2/115 Female 5'3.5
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 132%

I've been doing the same weight training routine since August.... if it ever bored me, it would mean it was time to go heavier!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-08, 19:01

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

You should change up your routine after 4 workouts..
If you are doing inclines and flyes for pecs, you could switch over to dips and close grip benches for the next 4 workouts..same with each bodypart.

Trainers(good ones) feel that the body does quickly adapt to a certain routine and mixing it up is good for the mind and for gains.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-08, 16:47
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Yes, I get very bored. But then I have ADD, so "bored" is my middle name!

Yet, at the same time, I crave the consistency, the familiarity of my workout routine! Weird, I know. Whenever I try to do something "different," I don't like it and always go back to my routine.

The only way I can change it up and still stick with it is to switch indoor walking (DVD) with outdoor walking as the weather allows--which will have me switching that up at least twice a week. And then try to change up the exercises within my strength routine, like Gostrydyr says.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-08, 17:44

Plan: Moderate Low-Carb <100g
Stats: 130/110.2/115 Female 5'3.5
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 132%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
Trainers(good ones) feel that the body does quickly adapt to a certain routine and mixing it up is good for the mind and for gains.

My deadlift went from the 20lb barbell in August to 140lbs this month.... me thinks that's a good gain, and I ain't tarred of 'em yet. I don't care if my mind is either, I like 'em!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-08, 06:32
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%

I think increasing weight *is* changing it up.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-08, 07:29
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Quote:
Do you get bored with the same exercise routine?

Do I ever! I like to keep a varied repertoire and do whatever I'm in the mood for: dumbbells, yoga, walking with weights, cycling when the weather is good, shoveling snow when it ain't. I do the sidewalk on my whole street for a good workout.