Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-16, 06:54

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 197/180/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Question about Net Carbs

If one food item has 0 carbs and 2 fibers and another food item has 2 carbs and 0 fiber and you eat them both at the same time.... Does one cancel out the other in net carbs?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-16, 07:24

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Fun to consider!

Both of the ficticious food items you mention above don't sound like actual food though, or very strange food to say the least.

My Zero Net Carb Solution plan (ZNCS) would be a diet that consistent of 2 Kg of House Brand Shirataki Noodles and 1/2 can of Coke per meal... Only 80 calories and Zero Net Carbs.

I'll start on artwork for the book now.

Good discussion topic Sunny!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-16, 08:54

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
If one food item has 0 carbs and 2 fibers
Unless you can give me an example from some label you're looking at, I'd say this food doesn't exist.

Fiber IS carbohydrate. The only difference is that it's considered indigestible, whether it's soluble or insoluble fiber. In other words, your body passes it right out. YMMV.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-16, 09:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Either that first food is fictitious, or the label is wrong. Perhaps the labeling laws are different in the US than Mexico, but in the US you have total carbs which consist of sugars, fiber and the rest. So let's say an avocado has 7 carbs, but 3 of those carbs are fiber. That means an avocado has 4 net carbs.

Now in the UK they subtract out the fiber from the total carbs. So the UK label would label an avocado as 4 carbs, and then list 3 carbs as fiber. If you subtracted the fiber carbs, you'd end up with the wrong carb count.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-16, 09:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvmx
If one food item has 0 carbs and 2 fibers and another food item has 2 carbs and 0 fiber and you eat them both at the same time.... Does one cancel out the other in net carbs?

I agree with others that 0 carb and 2 fibre food likely doesn't exist.

That being said, your original question was something like does the fibre in one food cancel the carbs in another - and that answer is no. (Sorry....)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-16, 09:59
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

There isn't a food with negative carbs in it. Except maybe cucumbers. Probably takes more energy to digest them than they contain. Just kidding.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-16, 02:46

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 197/180/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

My question came from the labeling on pickles and olives. On the pickles the fiber was omitted. That left me wondering. And yes, everything is different in Mexico. It takes some getting used to and you must be patient, adaptable and flexible.
We are fond of saying, "Mexico isn't for everyone."
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-16, 04:50

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I don't know about living in Mexico. However, I do know about pickles. And nutrition labels.

I bought a humongous jar of whole dill pickles at Costco the other day. These are big dudes. But the label says 0 calories, 0 carbs, 0 fat, 0 protein. In fact, 0 everything except sodium. But wait! That's PER SERVING. A "serving" is one quarter of a pickle. Now I don't know about other people, but I didn't plan to cut these big pickles into quarters. It's a cucumber. No big deal carb-wise. But still, that label is entirely misleading if you're really picky (and we should be) about carbs.

So, whatever labels you've got, be sure and note the serving size. A Tablespoon, for instance, is a lot less than you think when it comes to, say, salad dressing.

That said, pickles and olives are both good choices. Eat up.

Best wishes.