Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 05:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/263/180 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Gaining weight?

I am sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find any information about this situation though.

I am finishing up my 4th week on Atkins, and so far have lost about 25 lbs. I exercise daily around for around an hour (mix between cardio and resistance). I count my carbs, I eat plenty of good fats, I get my veggies in, although I sometimes eat ultra-low amounts of carbs just from not having much of an appetite. My ketone test strips consistently read 8-16(dark purple). My blood glucose reads 80-90.

I know it's probably no reason to panic, but I have gained 2 lbs and stayed at that weight for almost two weeks, and nothing shed inches wise. So with all the measurables stating I am in ketosis and very energetic, I feel at least a 1 pound decrease or a fraction of an inch should have happened.

It's just a big bummer and I will keep on plan, just wondering if anyone that has experienced similar things and what pulled you out of this. Also, being in ketosis, is a blood glucose of 80-90 too high?

I have read that avacado may slow down loss, I eat 1-2 tbsp 2 times a week of haas avacado, maybe I will cut it out to see if it makes a difference.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 05:55

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Those are decent blood glucose numbers. I think unless you've changed something obvious, and it doesn't sound like you have, you should just wait a couple of weeks. It's not unusual for people to experience a slow down around week three or four. My guess for this is that maybe the body is making up for earlier water losses with a slight rebound. Anyways, in two weeks, normal water fluctuations can be greater than any likely loss of fat, a scale plateau isn't necessarily a body fat plateau.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 06:16

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

Wow, what great success so far! Congratulations!!

Teaser is right, sometimes our bodies need time to adjust to all the weight we just lost and it takes that time in the form of weeks with no progress. I'm in one of those lulls, too; so far in May I've bounced between 139 and 142. It's frustrating, but it will end. Meanwhile my measurements appear to be the same but my pants are a bit looser. Go fish, you know?

BG of 80-90 is good.

Last edited by JuliaR : Fri, May-20-16 at 06:40.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 06:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Wow, Josh all your numbers are good and 25 pounds is a LOT to lose in 4 weeks. Also think it is the typical week 3-4 rebalancing..your body is freaking out a bit about all the missing pounds here is a more scientific description of that process and Why you should ignore the scale: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=365499

Also...
Quote:
Don’t Trust the Bathroom Scale With Your Mental Health

We humans are about 2/3 water. Each of us contains about 40 liters (or quarts) of the stuff, and each liter weighs a bit over 2 pounds. Our bodies effectively regulate fluid balance by adjusting urine output and sense of thirst, but this is done within a 2-liter range. Within this range, your body doesn’t really care if it is up to a liter above or below its ideal fluid level. What this means is that we all live inside a 4-pound-wide grey zone, so that from day to day we fluctuate up or down (i.e., plus or minus) 2 pounds. This happens more or less at random, so with any one weight reading you don’t know where your body is within that fluid range. Your weight can be the same for 3 days in a row, and the next morning you wake up and the scale says you’ve ‘gained’ 3 pounds for no apparent reason.

For people who weigh themselves frequently, this can be maddening. There are two solutions to this problem. One, just don’t weigh yourself. Or two, defeat this variability by calculating average weights. You can weigh yourself every day, and then on one day per week, calculate your average for that week (i.e., the average or mean of 7 values). If you are really into math, you can weigh yourself every day and then each day calculate a new mean over the last 7 days. Each day you do this, you drop the oldest value and add the newest one to the calculation. And of course, for [free] there’s an iPhone ‘App’ that will do this for you

Phinney, Stephen; Volek, Jeff (2011-07-08). The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living: An Expert Guide to Making the Life-Saving Benefits of Carbohydrate Restriction Sustainable and Enjoyable (pp. 241-242). Beyond Obesity LLC. Kindle Edition.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 07:13

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Hey Josh, first welcome! and if it's any consolation or comfort here's my weekly Monday weigh-ins that I'm recording on this site:

TONS of water at first then a bump back up for a couple weeks. I heard someone on this site, I think it was ReneeH2O mention that "weight loss is not linear." I agree with that statement! I'm currently in an interesting zone, keeping my carbs below ~30 (net) and eating tons of calories. I'm actually surprised I'm not gaining ha!

Keep at it and be patient is the only advice I can offer from my experience.

ps, we're both about the same weight now, nice work on paying attention to the food you eat. It works!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 22:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/263/180 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Wow, Thanks everyone for the feedback! It's greatly appreciated.

I reluctantly stepped on the scale this morning, reluctantly because I try to only do it once a week so I don't go nuts with daily fluctuations, and the number was 3 lbs less than it's been, Accurate or not, I'm just gonna stay off that scale and stick to the plan while this positive feeling lingers on.

Again Thanks for the tremendous help and support.