Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 10:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/168/130 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question worried about fatigue!!

This is not my first trip down low carb lane however it seems to be different now. I first tried Low-carb dieting a little over 10 years ago after my first child and had great success and no problems. I was only 21 then, now at 32 I need to lose weight yet again after the recent birth of 2 more babies. Jan 2009 I had the first, and started low-carbing shortly thereafter, before discovering I was pregnant yet again and had to give it up. I only started for a week or 2 but was extremely fatigued and just did not feel well. (Even before I was actually pregnant) I did not have this problem 10 years ago. Why? Is it my age? My fiance had the same problem and he's 35. Just an overwhelming feeling of weakness and not feeling well. What can I do to fix it? I know from my past experience that low carb works and I really want to follow it, just really scared of not having the energy to take care of my 1 year old and 2 year old, which needless to say, takes quite a bit of energy. Any suggestions would be great! Well thanks for hearing me out and I cant wait to gety back in my "skinny jeans."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 10:31

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Hi Welcome to the board!

Many people have feelings of being tired and generally not 100% when starting to eat Atkins induction levels of carbs. The body needs a few days or even couple of weeks to convert to efficiently getting its energy from fat instead of carbs.

Are you getting 'most' of your up to 20 net carbs from your veggies? Dr Atkins suggested adding an extra serving of induction vegetables or an ounce of nuts to counteract this tiredness, which he described as 'ascent weakness'.

Are you taking vitamins as suggested by Atkins?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-06-11, 10:56

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 282/266.2/174 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Fatigue...salt connection

I am re-reading the original Dr Atkins Diet Revolution ('72 edition). He states that when you start low carbing at induction levels your get dehydrated very quickly because of the diuretic effect. You actually need to add more salt to your food. Salt will prevent the initial fatigue that is common with this diet. As you continue on your journey you might need to cut back on the salt, but never at the beginning. You will make yourself sick!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-11, 20:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 183/183/155 Female 5ft6in
BF:
Progress:

Dumb question from newbie: Is this "induction phase" really necessary? If so, why? Can't I just cut back on the carbs gradually? Wean myself off them?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-07-11, 21:18

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doeraymee
Dumb question from newbie: Is this "induction phase" really necessary? If so, why? Can't I just cut back on the carbs gradually? Wean myself off them?

Sure! Give it a whirl!

This is not the path most people take, because of the Superhuman Strength of a Thousand People it seems to require.

Go ahead. Eat half a cake: then, next week, eat only part of a cake; then, only a slice of cake... then, 3 bites of cake!

Let us know how that goes.