Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 16:42
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%
Default anyone over 50 years in here?

I'm not sure where to post this; please move it, moderator, if there is a more appropriate place.

I am almost 60 years old, and it is so much slower to lose weight on this WOE than it was when I first tried it in 1973. There are probably a variety of reasons (retired now and much more sendentary, the "diet" has evolved into something which allows a good many more vegetables, etc) but some of it MUST have to do with the fact that my metabolism has changed a lot in the past 30 years.

So I would l especially like to hear from folks who are closer to my age (as well as ANYONE on these boards). I will settle for anyone who has a Country Joe and The Fish album somewhere in their closet. Heck, I will settle for anyone who even knows who
Country Joe is!

Kay
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 21:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:It Just Can't Be!
Progress: 0%
Default Hi Kay

I am 60, and have been on Atkins for 43 days. In that time I've only lost 6lbs. But I have "shrunk" a little.

I am not as active as I used to be. Trying to do better. Have been planting garden this week so maybe that will give me a boost...
I do feel better eating this way, but would be nice to see the pounds leaving a little faster.

My DH is losing much faster than I am. Men seem to have the
edge when it comes to dieting. But he also has much more to lose than I.

I will keep plodding along and see what happens.
Good luck to you.
p.s. who is Country Joe?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-03, 22:48

Plan: HCG/Atkins
Stats: 143/134.3/125 Female 5'5"
BF:30.6
Progress: 48%
Wink

Hi there! I am 50 .....does that count? When I started HRT my weight loss hit a brick wall and started creeping up. However I am persevering and do like this WOE. Hang in there, I am sure you will be pleased with the results. The metabolism does slow as we age.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 12:38
Give chance a chance

Good to hear from the two of you! It sounds as though we have similar experiences. And Watergarden, sure, 50 counts!

I have been weeding, not yet planting annuals except in planters....though it is 83 here , whoops just checked again and it is 87 degrees now, we are quite likely to have annual freeze before we can count on spring. But the fish in my watergarden are loving being fed again after hibernating (or whatever they do) all winter.

I too plan to keep plugging away at this WOE even though I am not seeing a lot of results. After reading Atkins' book, I was expecting the weight to come off much more rapidly. Had I not found these forums and read about others' experience I would probably have given up. This is a great place to keep focussed.

Kay
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-03, 12:40
Give chance a chance

oops, waterdragon, I've got watergardens on my mind. Sorry about mangling your name!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 10:09

Stats: 175/168/130
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default over 50

Hi, I'm 51 and can relate to what you're going through. Being a repeat Atkins (restarted 3 Feb) and yo-yo dieter for years, plus HRT, weight loss is definately crawling. Up and down about 3 lbs since mid Feb. One of the things that keeps me going is attending Curves 5 days a week, once a month they weigh and measure, so was down 3 inches and 6% bodyfat. Also lurking on this forum helps my motivation just knowing this is not totally abnormal and there are others experiencing some of the same stuff. This time around I feel totally comitted to this wol because all in all I do feel better physically and most of the time mentally. I'm usually just a lurker on this forum but your post made me want to say hi and do hang in there. That's my 2 cents! Have a great day

Anita
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 11:02

Stats: -/-/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:It Just Can't Be!
Progress: 0%

TarHeel, just wanted to tell you that my DH and I visited your state recently and really enjoyed the trip.

Those mountains are beautiful. Would like to come back when the trees are fully leafed out. We were in North Wilkesboro for a few days.

Good luck with you weight loss.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 11:27

Stats: 268/211/134 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 43%

hello, I am 55, my start with Atkins was rather undocumented, and it is just the past month that I have really been keeping track with FitDay,

I am losing slowly too, under a pound a week, and I have been exercising at the gym 4-5 days a week,

I wish the fat was burning quicker too,

something tells me that it is part carb creep, I am not planning my meals, just recording what I gobbled at the end of the day, and not measuring accurately perhaps,

I have also not been eating vegetables, they are the hardest for me to make, and perhaps the way I gained all this fat in the first place,

I am taking some time off the gym until Monday and then I am going to do my cardio and circuit training MWF only and use T and Th to plan meals, make some ahead,

but for now slow is fine, the most important thing has been my improved health, my joints no longer hurt, I am sleeping, except for having to get up to pee all the time with the water we are supposed to drink,

hang in there, julienne
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 11:37

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: ?/?/? Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Wink country joe

Woodstock (original) happened long ago which makes me at a mature age also .
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 20:34
Give chance a chance

Ah mickey mack. One two three four, what're we waitin' for? Seems no way to post to your jounal or whatever. Have you just been sitting aound for ten months?
Kay
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 21:08

Plan: Keto
Stats: 203/187.2/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:75%/5%/25%
Progress: 25%

Afraid I don't know who Country Joe is... sorry. I am 49, but will turn 50 in August... Thought I'd stop in and say hello... I've been doing low carb for awhile now. I always seem to slip up and eat things I shouldn't. But I am still trudging on... I do wish you success and if you stick to this, I am sure success will be yours!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 07:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/154/125 Female 5'0"
BF:never measured it
Progress: 59%
Default Hi, I'm 56 & slogging it out

Hi -- just thought I'd say hi and respond -- I am 56, started Atkins back in September at about 195 lbs (I'm only 5 feet tall so that was a lot for my teeeny frame!) but knowing how slowly I lose I vowed I would never get on the scale, just buy (or revive from my closet) pants that were too small and keep trying them on. This has worked SOOO much better for me than being a slave to the scale and letting it determine whether I have been "bad" or "good" for the day. I know my weight loss is proceeding at a snail's pace and I have no idea what I have lost in pounds but I started at size 22 and am now a 16! That is incontrovertible evidence that it works if you stick to it!

I'd say ditch the scale and buy some "reference" jeans and try them on once a month till you can fit into them; then replace those with another pair that are too tight and proceed that way.

It just comes off more slowly at our age, I am sure.

Good luck!

Jsandrock
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 08:33
Give chance a chance

Hi jsandrock: Thanks for the encouraging words and seeing your stats was the most encouragment of all! I do have a couple of pant-o-meters (actually short-o-meters) and when I first posted this thread, they weren't fitting much better either. I think things have changed a bit this week....I have some doctor's type scales (with the weights you move at the top) and have them set to my next mini-goal of 140 and am looking forward to the day when they balance! Being 5 feet tall like you are, I am well aware that every few pounds sticks out pretty noticeably.

Kay
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 12:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/209/160 Female 5' 11"
BF:Don't wanna know
Progress: 40%
Default Country Joe--yeah!

Hi TarHeel (and everyone else)! Of course I know (and love) Country Joe & the Fish...your original post made me laugh. I'm 51 and am on Atkins for the second time. Naturally it's going much, much more slowly this time. I KNOW I should stay off the scale but am just fixated on that weigh-in each morning. Maybe I should just break the darned thing!

Last time I did Atkins was five years ago...don't you just kick yourself for not staying with it then and for regaining all the weight? (At least I did.) My life has changed a lot in the last five years, and my metabolism has definitely slowed too.

Guess I'm going to have to accept that this will not be a quick fix, and I'm going to have to stay with the program the rest of my life. It's tough to think I'll never really be able to eat bread again though--that's the thing I miss the most. I like to bake it and love the artisan breads that are so popular right now.

This is almost the end of week 4 and my loss is stuck at 10 pounds since halfway through week 2. I've been keeping a log of everything I eat, which does help keep me honest, but of course what I really need to do is exercise more. Tough to find time and easy to find excuses not to do it.

Nice to find other people in my age group and experiencing the same kinds of challenges.

LuWana
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-03, 15:03

Plan: shangri-la/lowcarb
Stats: 185/173/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hello Everyone,
I am 61 and losing so slowly I just started again if I don't watch calories I gain weight darn. It is good to find a thread of we more mature folks when I was in my 20's I could lose weight without a thought not now Yikes. Good Luck to you all, Pat S.