Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-14, 07:07
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 151/150/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default Do I have to cut out whipped cream too????

Okay, only 1 lb lost in 6, yes 6 weeks!! I cut out all Atkins bars except for the once every two week need! I don't eat more than 3 ounces of cheese and the only treat i look forward to is whipped heavy cream with some stevia. Is this the reason why im not losing? Could it be too much fat? Help!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-14, 07:46
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrein
Okay, only 1 lb lost in 6, yes 6 weeks!! I cut out all Atkins bars except for the once every two week need! I don't eat more than 3 ounces of cheese and the only treat i look forward to is whipped heavy cream with some stevia. Is this the reason why im not losing? Could it be too much fat? Help!!!!!

At your current weight, in my experience, your total calories will play a big part in your body's ability to lose.
3 ozs of cheese is quite a lot of calories( approx. 300k) and you don't say how much whipped cream you're eating. That adds up real fast too. I recall reading that Atkins allows for 2-3 tbsp. of HWC per day.

For you to see losses, I'd guesstimate that your total calories be around 1100-1300 per day. In other words, a shade under 10 times your goal weight. (140x10=1400)
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-14, 03:55

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I agree if it's been 6 weeks it's time to count calories as well.

I was struck by this comment by Jenny Ruhl in her book Diet 101 that really struck home - "I've even seen people suggesting that it was the 7 grams of "hidden carbs" in a cup of cream that stalled their diet, rather than the 820 calories that cream contributed. Overly carb-centric thinking leads low carb dieters to come up with some very questionable explanations as to why high calorie foods stall them."

I too am someone who needs to cap both carbs AND calories to lose - and I've seen that with many (maybe most) women over 40...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-14, 07:13

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Portion control is a significant part of any healthy diet. You don't have to 'cut out' cream, but you do have to limit the amount of cream in a day.

As a person who has struggled with overweight ever since high school--and being a slow learner to boot--I have found that I had no idea what a 'serving size' looked like. As a low carber for the past 10 years, I am now having to re-examine how much protein I eat in a meal. A steak that fills my plate is too much steak. A salad that requires a serving dish to hold it all, is too much salad. One tablespoon of anything is not heaped up and overflowing.

For me, in order to control my portion sizes (since I cannot rely on the 'eyeball' method), is to weight everything I eat and enter it in a computer program. As a result, I have been able to reduce my daily caloric intake from 2,250 calories a day to between 1,000 and 1,500/day. As you can see from my stats (I started back on Atkins at the end of June), I have not lost a lot but I have given myself one year to lose 30 pounds. I lose extremely slowly.

The Atkins program for weight loss is a program of self discovery of what works or does not work for each individual. No one can tell you what will work/not work for you. It may differ from mainstream. If you have a question about a favorite food, cut it out for a month and see if it makes any difference. If you can't live without it, cut your portion in half and see what happens. Experiment. Take your time. Enjoy the self discovery. Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-14, 08:45

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Jrein - as I recall you have only read the latest Atkins book (Atkins Made Easy). It sounds as if it is NOT easy for you and not so effective. I would suggest you read and follow one of the others (Dr Atkins Revolution, Dr Atkins New Revolution or New Atkins for a New You) for a minimum of 2 weeks of strict induction.

No one needs Atkins bars, they are a mere convenience. If they work for you, then they are no problem, but for the vast majority on these boards at least, they ARE a problem. And yes, while Atkins says that calories are not everything, they do enter the picture along with carbs.

Go back to a clean simple basic plan and see where you are in 2 weeks.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-14, 10:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

You may be consuming too many calories for your needs. The only way to find out is to track your intake in the nutrition app of your choice and see where you're at.
But you could also be one of the unlucky ones who can't lose weight while consuming dairy or some other food due to an intolerance.
Could be a medication you're on?

I'd suggest getting the 2002 version of Dr. A's book and reading chapters 15, 20, 25 and 26. See if any of that info rings true for you and then start experimenting to find your answers.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-14, 14:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/205/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 60%

Hi Jrein -

Welcome!

I will just add that while I thought I could have an intolerance for my HWC and iced coffee. I have since realized, I really don't. I think I was overdoing it calorie wise which is easy to do since I love my iced coffees.

My work around has been to just limit my eating and that's been easy. After a few months, I eat essentially once a day and fill in the blanks with fat and coffee.

I have spent 6 months at the same number and just in the last few days, we're headed down again. Nothing changed, no eating off plan, I just had to be patient.

Best wishes to you!
Deanna

Last edited by DeannaK : Wed, Oct-08-14 at 14:20.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-14, 05:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 151/150/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

I guess I ignored the fact that I was eating WAY more than a serving or two..... I kinda felt that it was a free food so to speak... Time to reevaluate how much I am having and read some more! Thanks so much~
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-14, 06:35

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
I guess I ignored the fact that I was eating WAY more than a serving or two..... I kinda felt that it was a free food so to speak... Time to reevaluate how much I am having and read some more! Thanks so much~

I think a lot of us go through this when we come to low carb. And for many people at first they lose weight anyway so they don't even realize it.

You are already a lot smaller than many of us, with less to lose, so these kinds of things will be easier for you to spot (since weight loss will be harder-won!).
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-14, 08:00
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:

Excellent realization! Thanks for being honest.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-14, 00:07

Plan: Atkins 92
Stats: 227/190/127 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Great self reflection!! You taught me something too!!!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-14, 04:30

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:

Wonderful self insight. I commend you. Keep it up. The program is all about self discovery if we are willing and able to look at what we have been and are doing to ourselves. I am so pleased for you.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-14, 13:25

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:

This is something I should print out and frame. It's a problem for me, too.