Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-14, 06:19

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default Why do I have to be in ketosis to lose weight?

I have been on Induction/Owl since the end of June. With the exception of the fluid loss the first week of Induction (8 pounds), nothing much is happening. I am trying to get to a ten pound loss and stay there (hopefully go lower) but I go up and down on the scale and the tape is not going down. (I weigh and measure everything I eat and I have a computer program that tracks nutritional intake/weight/tape measurements.)

Tested blood sugars are all within normal range. I have not yet tested for ketosis. Carbs average 20-25 grams/day. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. Trying to keep proteins down. I average about 85 grams/day.

If I get a ketosis testing machine and get myself into ketosis, will I have to remain in ketosis the rest of my life?

Will I regain if I go out of ketosis after I achieve my goal weight?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-14, 06:39

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Why do I have to be in ketosis to lose weight?

Most likely, you don't. Do what you feel is best for you. This is why OWL in Atkins exists. Ketosis helps with initial hunger/satiety issues and helps get you on track, but not everyone needs or must be in ketosis to lose weight. Some studies even show that lower ketosis is better for losses.
If you like being in ketosis and/or want some of the stated benefits (this depends on you and what philosophy/theory you believe), you could get a meter and eat to it until you figure out where your sweet spot is for macros. Have you read books by Phinney and Volek? I found their book Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living to be helpful when getting started.

IMO, you could regain, but then again you might not regain if you're careful to add good carbs slowly back into your diet.

Sorry for such a vague answer, but at the end of the day, I think it's all very individual.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-14, 08:00

BF:
Default Why do I have to be in Ketosis to Lose?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I have read Volek & Phinney--both books--along with the new Westman--The New Atkins for a New You--as well as Keto Clarity.

Unable to lose any weight since the initial whoosh the first week of Induction, and having to keep carbs down to 20-25 grams in the last two months without any lasting result made me wonder about testing for Ketosis. I am obviously sensitive to carbs. I guess I am just doomed for the rest of my life if I go above 25 grams/day.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-14, 08:04

Have you been measuring your body?
Remember that it isn't a stall until it is no weight lost AND no measurement decreases for like 6 weeks.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-14, 09:26

BF:

No change in measurement either.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-14, 09:43

Perhaps you might want to post one of your menus and situation in the more general support forum for evaluation. Sometimes, we overlook things we're eating that may be stalling us. It might even be subtle, like an artificial sweetener or something we took for granted as being carbohydrate-innocuous.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-14, 10:05

BF:

I use a computer program to analyze my intake that I weigh and measure. It's a drag, but I am trying to find out what is going on. I have been entering everything I have put in my mouth since June 28. As I say, my total carb count averages between 20 and 25 per week/month/quarter. "Hidden" carbs are picked up by the computer. (It has an extensive data base of foods and their nutritional values. And I add my own from nutritional labels if a particular brand is not in the data base.) I have had 2 days in these past 2 months when I overate nuts to the tune of carb grams of 30 one day and 40 carb grams the other. Needless to say, I no longer trust myself with nuts. So far these are my only carb slips.

Thanks for the suggestion of posting menus.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-14, 10:14

Unfortunately, a program isn't perfect either. I use MFP, but I independently log and keep my own personal database of foods that I have pulled the information from, etc.
I had an instance - all of the sudden - where I wasn't sleeping well. Someone mentioned that they stopped taking their coconut oil because it was making them sleepless. I quit the coconut oil after a certain hour - and that fixed it.
Sometimes other people looking at what you're doing might have experience and lend you a hand with what might be holding you back.
It's not all about calories in/calories out.
It's not all about carbs or not.
It is a subtle blend for each of us.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-14, 10:16

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Hi Benay,

Welcome, and yay to you for changing your life!

I have read that for SOME people, 10 g of carbs is the MOST they can eat and lose weight. Maybe, even though you are at only 20-25, you have a lower limit to start burning fat?

Like Sereen said, it's very individual.

I might try to get my carbs WAY reduced, if I were you , and see what happens.

Just an idea.

Good luck!!!

Jammie
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-14, 10:33

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I find that for myself I have to watch carbs and calories in order to lose. Also, I had to lose about 30 pounds before I saw any measurement changes. I calculated my macros using this program.

Hope this helps.

Don't give up--that never helps.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-14, 10:36

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

How many grams of fat do you have? What's your age, exercise, any meds or thyroid history?
What's your bodyfat percent?

Is it possible your body is steady state because your energy is steady and equal to your needs?

If you're within 5% of your goal, might have to look at really small deltas with your food portions to get down there.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-14, 10:47
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
I use a computer program to analyze my intake that I weigh and measure. It's a drag, but I am trying to find out what is going on. I have been entering everything I have put in my mouth since June 28. As I say, my total carb count averages between 20 and 25 per week/month/quarter. "Hidden" carbs are picked up by the computer. (It has an extensive data base of foods and their nutritional values. And I add my own from nutritional labels if a particular brand is not in the data base.) I have had 2 days in these past 2 months when I overate nuts to the tune of carb grams of 30 one day and 40 carb grams the other. Needless to say, I no longer trust myself with nuts. So far these are my only carb slips.

Thanks for the suggestion of posting menus.

Sereen is absolutely right on all her points.
I'd like to point out that unless you know for sure what your particular health issues are, I'd also look at where your total calories are coming in each day. You may be eating too high calories to see loss.

We each need to find our individual sweet spots for loss. Keep tweaking and you'll find yours.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-14, 10:53
The Patient Loser

Plan: LCHF/keto
Stats: 165/159/135 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

The suggestions by everyone are good ones. I also noticed that you mentioned that you keep your proteins low--how low? Are you shooting for a certain percentage of fat/carbs/protein?
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-14, 03:41

BF:

Thanks everyone. I appreciate your feedback. I will try cutting carbs back to 10 grams this week and see what happens. To answer your questions:

As for health issues--I have high BP and am on medication for that. No other health issues that I know of and I am an octogenarian. Not bad for an old girl. Energy expenditure is low--walking is an issue--I fall. I do other kinds of exercises.

Westman et al in the New Atkins for a New You recommends around 84 grams of protein/day (Protein Power recommended calculation based on lean body weight is the same)and I try to get down to that. Last week's stats: Carbs 6%, Protein 24%, fat 71%. Past month stats same. Past week's average calories 1560.

I can't find my body fat % but my calculated BMI is 31.79. My goal was to lose 30 pounds. I am having trouble getting to and maintaining a 10 pound weight loss since June 28.

Oh, I use Diet Power and Body Tracker. They do a better job of the math than I can when converting grams to ounces.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I do appreciate it.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-14, 03:57
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Benay! Welcome to the best LC WOE site on the planet!

I'm one of those that has to keep her carbs ultra low (less than 10 a day) not only to lose weight but to keep the weight off. I also do low kcals (calories) no more than 1000 a day. It's the price I have to pay since I am a recovering morbidly obese carb addict with portion control issues.

I had to give up nuts and cheese because I couldn't control my portions. But I eat a huge amount of protein and fat, not so much.

I have a couple of questions:

Do you eat LC pre-packaged foods like the bars, dinners or shakes?

Do you count actual carbs or NET carbs?

Wishing you heartfelt success on your personal journey!