Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 03:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175.7/173.1/154 Female 1.67 cm
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default no fast enought!!

I am feeling terrible!! When I start the diet las week I was all positive about the possible results but coming day 8 I just find out that I have lost only 2.4lb..
I do not know what I am doing wrong.. I am reading the book and I am doing everything as you suppose too… do you guys have any advice of how I can lose a bit more a bit faster??
I am been unrealistic?
I love LC eating, I love meet and veg so I do not have problems whit that I just wish I was losing a bit more…
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-11, 04:09

Stats: 175.7/173.1/154 Female 1.67 cm
BF:
Progress: 12%

maybe I am just been urealistic.. I have been reading in the forum of people that have not lose even 1lb in a month!! so positive attitude from now on!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-11, 08:08

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

One of the things that I found that stalls my weight loss is not drinking water. At least 64 oz a day. Water increases metabolism and the body burns calories just using it for regular body processes.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-11, 15:46

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

Drink 8-10 glasses of water a day and exercise such as walk walk walk and you'll get there. myrt
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-11, 16:00

Stats: 180/172/150 Female 5ft 10inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

drink loads of water, exercise loads, take the stairs instead of lifts&escalators, walk or cycle everywhere etc. and 2.4lbs in a week is still pretty good!! ^_^
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-11, 16:08

Stats: 265/231/175 Male 72 inches
BF:265/231/175
Progress: 38%

No knowing the amount of weight you want/need to lose, it is difficult to determine if you are doing OK. Post your particulars eg gender, age, height, current weight, desired weight. Also typical meals, water intake, and anything else your are consuming eg alcohol, vitamins, drugs.

A reasonable amount at the start (first 2-6 weeks) is 10% of your weight to loss. For 100 lb, 10 lbs. Generally this is considered your water loss -- actually more correctly you are burning through your glycogen reserve and its associated water. Glycogen is typically stored in your muscles. So, depending on how muscular you are, you may lose more or less.

Then you rate will slow. Healthy weight loss is 1-2% of your total body weight per week. Most people lose less than that. For me, at 225, I am losing 1 lb or so a week or 0.5%. That means 100 lbs is likely to take a little less than 2 years !! I am down 42 lb after 5.5 months.

And on top of that you will have up weeks, and even weeks and stalls (extended periods with no weight loss ). This is your body reacting to many things including your dieting.

Males tend to lose fairly evenly. Women tend to jump around.

Many people encourage taking body measurements. They are a better indicator of body changes. Your measurement may change even when the scales are not. The scale is of course simpler to do.

You are in a long journey. Think long term. Be persistent. Be patient.

Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-11, 18:27

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Low carb is infamous for plateaus. You just have to mix it up either with food or exercise or more water..to break them. It's really the body adjusting to the weight loss and present weight. If you leave it alone, most times the weight will start to drop again. I hit a plateau every 20 lbs. then my hips would hurt as they came back together.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-12, 14:50
Registered Member

Stats: 155/147/110 Female 164 centimeters
BF:
Progress:

I agree with what most people said here, you should try and drink more water and perhaps exercise more. It really depends on what your start weight is, how much you want to lose, your age, hormones etc. But don't be discouraged, with each person there's a combination of several factors that contribute to their weight loss rate, some lose faster, some slower, but if you stick to your plan I'm sure you'll see results soon.

Good luck!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Mar-09-12, 22:15

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%

This is the problem of imprecise science of Food and Nutrition, especially when you are within the range of margin of errors.

Let me make an example;
According to USDA web site, a medium size Pear is 178g.
103 kcal
0.68g protein
27.52g Total Carb
17.44g Sugar

If you eat pear before, you know;
Some are sour, some are blend and some are sweet.
The sour one might have 5g sugar
The blend one might have 17g sugar
The sweet one might have 50g sugar

Since your personal margin of errors are tiny, you might want to count calories and increase your gap.

Let's say your desire calories is 2000kcal, you can try 1800kcal which would cover 200kcal errors.

I hate to see people giving up low carb because some bibles do not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vestrada
I am feeling terrible!! When I start the diet las week I was all positive about the possible results but coming day 8 I just find out that I have lost only 2.4lb..
I do not know what I am doing wrong.. I am reading the book and I am doing everything as you suppose too… do you guys have any advice of how I can lose a bit more a bit faster??
I am been unrealistic?
I love LC eating, I love meet and veg so I do not have problems whit that I just wish I was losing a bit more…