Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-11, 00:43

Plan: my own
Stats: 267/213/170 Male 70"
BF:
Progress:
Default Long time turtle, but new to LC

I'm a long time turtle, but new to LC'ing. I've only been doing this for a few weeks now. I've been eating a diet of around 70 to 80% whole foods for around 3 years now & have had brief bouts of fast weight loss followed by long periods of slow to non-existent weight loss. I'm down about 50 pounds overall & have 40 to 50 to go. I've been eating lots of eggs, beef, chicken, turkey, fatty fish, veggies, & some cheese.
My overall way of eating hasn't changed too much, other than I've replaced carbs with fat. My protein intake hasn't changed at all. My overall calorie intake hasn't changed either.
I log my food mainly to monitor my macro's, though I've noticed I'm naturally eating around 1700 to 1900 calories per day without making any conscious decision to do so. I target less than 100 carbs per day, though most days I end up below 50. I pretty consistently consume 150ish grams of protein per day which corresponds to a maintenance level for my lean mass. The rest is fat. I drink 1 to 2 gallons of water per day & I have a good exercise routine. I also get 8 hours of sleep daily.
I'm on a diuretic for blood pressure & I know that can be problematic for weight loss, but hopefully I'll be able to stop taking it in the near future as my health continues to improve. I also take fiber supplements & a multi-vitamin.
I've noticed some positives & some negatives so far. I haven't lost any weight yet, but I don't really pay much attention to the scale since strength training really screws with overall weight. I do feel leaner though, so I figure the weight loss will come. I also have much more sustained energy throughout the day & I don't feel hungry very often.
On the down side, I've noticed I've been stopped up, whereas my digestive system is normally quite regular, so any advice on that would be helpful. The only other side effects I've had are muscle cramps & headaches. I upped my salt intake, & those symptoms have gone away, so I guess that's that.
I just thought I'd post here, since 50 pounds in 3 years should definitely qualify me for turtle status. I'm definitely open to suggestions that could help speed the process. I've been doing a lot of reading on LC'ing lately, but compared to traditional nutrition, this is all pretty new to me. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-11, 08:10

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Exercise is very important to weight loss. If I don't work out at least 3-5 times a week walking 30 mins and free weights. I won't lose that week. My metabolism is slow. I'm trying to increase it. I mean, I've lost 5 lbs in 9 months. (well some of that was cheating, but still..9 months?)
1. More water
2. More exercise