Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 11:45

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default I can't lose weight because of a medical problem.

Oh, man, I can only imagine how many eyes rolled at that title. I know what I have thought when hearing that before when I didn't have a weight problem or could lose weight when I had a weight problem.

Currently I suffer from an illness that one of the primary symptoms is that it makes you obese and you can't lose weight even with stomache stapling. Oh, great! I have managed to lose like about 40 before after being disagnosed and then become stuck. Absolutely couldn't lose more no matter what I did and if I even veer a little from my plan, the weight comes back at warp speed and leaves even slower than the first time. So right now, I lc mostly to keep from gaining more weight, but also hoping I might just lose something.

Is there anybody else dealing with anything like this? Just looking for someone to chat with and find support in doing the right thing even if I am not getting the results I want.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 13:31

Plan: LC since 1/15/09
Stats: 317/278/217 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Sounds like it could be a thyroid problem. I think you will be able to lose, but it will take longer. But, you absolutely have to eat healtier. If it's your thyroid you will probably benefit from suppliments, but do your homework and research them because some can leave you worse off than before taking them. I am convinced, I have a slight thyroid problem myself, but I am going to try out the least invasive treatments first, ie herbal therapies.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 23:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/148/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I am not sure what your desease is, but I lose wieght very slowly now. I am in a wheelchair but b4 lc'ing I couldn't lose weight for nothing. What meds do u take?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 01:13

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Hi,

Thanks for the posts. I guess I was feeling down when I wrote this. I had been back on the wagon and being really good for three weeks and no loss. I was feeling sorry for myself. I remembered hearing people say they couldn't lose weight because of their health and sometimes it was just laziness. Of course, other times they really had problems that worked against them. I thought how ironic that I really have a problem that doesn't just slow weightloss down, but actually prevent it. Then to top that off I knew people wouldn't actually believe it and think I just needed to put the fork down and get moving. Yeah, like that is going to work ... exercise makes me sicker.

I suffer from Dercum's Diesease (see the link in my siggy line for further info, if you want) and getting fat and staying fat is one of the symptoms. Research shows people it's just about impossible for DD sufferers to lose weight even if they were to have stomache stapling surgery. There is something wrong with the fat, besides it becoming tumors.

I have tweaked lc every which way, avoiding dairy, salt, processed foods, no frakenfoods here, more carbs, less carbs. It makes no difference.

I take tons of supplements supporting the thyroid, protecting the heart, and fighting chronic inflammation.

I will be posting regularly in my journal again soon. If nothing else, I have interesting recipes at times and write about the antics of my children.

I love any visitors.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-10-09, 21:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/148/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I love visiting people's journals. So I will be stopping by. I think I can kinda understand your dilemma. B4 I started the lc WOL I Was getting to the desperate point because I couldn't lose weight for nothing. Between taking steroids for my lungs and trying many different brands of antidepressants.

I just felt hopeless. I think God sent me this diet. I just happened 2 stumble on it,

I seem to lose very slow like a pound every 2 or 3 weeks. which I am very happy about, but most of all I feel better emotionally.

U r entitled to have pity party days-just dont let them sabotage u. One never knows when a cure will appear.