Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-14, 10:48

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 257/238/199 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Reality Check In

I had been waiting until yesterday , when I took my lab results to a Low Carb Doctor and work on a fuller understanding of what is going on with my progress.
First, I have been LCHF for 19 weeks ( more than 4 months) and haven't really cheated at all. My a1c is 5.6 which is better than average. My fasting glucose was 140, which is should be under like 120 at the highest. So that was one issue. Than my weight is stable ( no loss) at 239 for again like 3 weeks. Another issue. In addition, I need to get some professional medical help in what best lifestyle adjustments I need to choose for my metabolic needs.
I have found an English speaking MD here in San Jose, Costa Rica, who does specialize in LCHF protocol and actually healed his diabetic condition and uses this way of eating for over 10 years. I was like Halleluiah ! So, we met yesterday and given the interpretation of my results and history diagnosed me with a metabolic syndrome. He told me due to years of stress and having controlled ,still not eating LC until recently,my diabetic condition has kept my cortisol and insulin levels dysfunctional. So, he orders so specialize test ApocA and B to find out exactly have my pancreas is doing. The cortisol levels may be not allowing the glucose levels to go down and the interaction also affects weight loss. So there is more at play than just what LCHF eating I am doing that is preventing weight loss !
What this means to me is I can heal , I can reverse the damage done and when these issues correct themselves than my body will ( with it's inner wisdom) allow the weight to come off more like a regular results found in people in ketosis and LC lifestyle.
The reason I share all this is two fold. First , I wanted my friends to know where I am along this journey. Secondly ,and more importantly is not to allow what we "read and hear" to become the idenitity we try to create for ourselves and our lives. We are each different , in every way and almost every biochemical factor/variable. The "why not's" need to be sometimes evaluated and corrected with proper medical advise, never self medicating. There may be greater ,more integrated issues at hand that we cannot on the surface know about .
I am truly learning so much about myself and the journey progress. The doctor also advised me , at this time, not to make almond flour goodies ( breads and muffins) e but stick with flaxmeal. He than gave me a recipe for an awesome MIM ( muffin in a minute) which I made today. Rock and Roll !
I hope this will help others and PLEASE feel free to keep in touch with me..... Together we CAN do what we cannot do alone.....
Stay Warm ~ Spring is coming
Sponsored Links