Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 09:48

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 156/150/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress:
Angry All I do is plateau!

I'm sure I'm the first person to ever complain about this (*sarcasm*). I started low-carbing probably four weeks ago. I lost six or seven pounds in about the first two weeks but now I've been about the same. I fluctuate four pounds a week. I go up one or two, then down one or two. It never changes. Is it possible to plateau this soon? Is this all the weight I'm going to lose? I pay strict attention to what I eat, I only eat less than 20 carbs a day, I drink so much water I have to go to the bathroom about every 30 minutes and I power-walk 3 or four times a week for about 30 minutes at a time. What the crap is wrong with me that I can't lose this??? It's so frustrating, especially when all my friends (and both my sisters with the exact same genetics as me) eat nothing but junk all day and are still tiny skinny. And today since people keep dropping off bags of Valentine's Day candy at my desk at work.

Sorry, I just really needed to vent. It's frustrating and very discouraging to be killing myself by working at it so hard and stressing out over every little thing I eat and still not seeing any results. Thanks for listening.

(p.s. I'm new here so go easy on me, ok?)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 10:04
Got MEAT!?!?!?!

Plan: whatever works =)
Stats: 316.8/191.1/180 Female 5.7
BF:too much
Progress: 92%

*hugs*
Now to the tough part...the truth..hehe
You are doing good. It is very very common to stall around week 4. Your body is adjusting to what you just lost. You should measure yourself. Its rough I know..I am going through a major stall myself right now, but I am just keeping on. Stay on plan and dont cheat yourself out of some good weight loss to come. Just hang it there, it will happen.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 10:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 248/248/160 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I found that I would get stuck for a couple of weeks in the beginning too. Usually around the time of my period. You may also have lost but have extra water weight. Maybe try measuring instead of weighing. A few of my friends try essential oil suppliments (Or coconut oil in tea) to help when they get stuck. But trust me if your following 20 carbs per day then you'll see results. They have a carb counter on your profile that helps you double check your count. When I started to do the carb counter I factored in carbs I hadn't before.

If you're out of induction then maybe keep strawberries on your desk at work or a sugar-free chocolate to avoid Valentines day tempation. Don't worry you're doing great. This is a lifestyle change and it takes time to adjust. Maybe avoid your scale and focus on how you're feeling. Picture yourself looking and feeling better this summer. Hang in there!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 11:37

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Depending which program your following, I would recommend eating at least 20 grams of net carbs per day from veggies. Don't load them up with lots of dairy and such. (Note if going for the non-carb lc version, you need even less carbs).

It's very common not lto ose weight in weeks 3 and 4. They say a person loses 10% of the their weight during the first two weeks (in your case 3 to 4 lbs and you did that) and 3% per week after that which would be around 1 lb. per week after the first two weeks. Your body may be adjusting or ...

Maybe it's time to increase your carbs with more veggies or a few nuts or something nice like that and see. Some people see losses after upping their carbs (and sometimes their calories too).

Take heart and keep working your program.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 15:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260.5/255/199 Female 5'8"
BF:38%
Progress: 6%
Default You And I Are In The Same Boat

I paddling right next to you girlfriend. I'm at the end of my second week and am doing the exact same thing. Everyone says just stay with it and it will eventually start to come off, and I really do believe that since it seems to work for so many other people but it just frustrates me to no end. I am really trying to stay positive but right now I feel like crying. Just want you to know I know how you feel.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 15:53

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 156/150/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress:
Angry

I know just what you mean. I lost the six or seven pounds in my first two weeks. My boyfriend lost 15. Of course, he's trying to lose twice the weight I am, but come on! Fifteen pounds??? And he doesn't even exercise. I exercise almost every day. And yes, I count running around after my 15-month-old as exercise! But I really exercise several days a week. Here's where my jealousy kicks in!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 17:47

Plan: '72 Atkins
Stats: 260/198/145 Female 65
BF:I do
Progress: 54%

Hey, I'm a plateau loser... at least that's my name for myself. I've been doing this since the beginning of July... I started out losing 8 or so pounds the first two weeks... then nothing. And then I'd have a nice 'woosh'... then nothing. Until I finally realized that I only lose weight ONCE a month... the week of my TOM... how crazy is that?! So hang in there... where you are at is quite normal, and you don't have as much to lose as others have... so that also might be why it's taking you long... when I get to your weight I imagine I'll be as frustrated as you! Oh heck... sometimes I already am!

Stay with the course... it WILL work! I promise... and the working out sometimes brings on water weight as your muscles get used to it... at least that's what they tell me

Good luck! Hang in there! This WOL is wonderful, and it WILL pay off eventually
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-09, 11:15

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 288/224.8/180 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 59%

I seem to plateau a week for every five pounds of loss. It might take me two weeks to lose five pounds, and then for a week - nothing. Then I slowly start to lose again.

There is a thread somewhere on this forum about 'set points'. Spots where you were at a certain weight for an extended period, perhaps on your way up the scale. These weights can be sticky to get past on the way back down as your body fights to keep you at that weight. Perserverance pays off, and the scale will eventually move again.

I'm at one of these 'set points' myself right now. Hopefully in a less than a week I'll start moving again, but as I was this weight for several years, it might take longer. I am excited though, as the next 'set point' is fifteen pounds less!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-15, 22:48
Registered Member

Plan: Nutritional Ketosis
Stats: 255/239.5/160 Female 61
BF:
Progress:

no one is mentioning how many calories they eat..too low and the female body is genetically set to "stay the loss" to keep the species going. Several people I know over in a low carb /keto group were starving at 1200, the upped it to 1500 calories and dropped more easily. I can attest to the issue of sleep apnea not allowing me to lose over 16 MONTHS. at 1400 calories..( a 1100 calorie DEFICIT a DAY….then when it was treated I still did not lose…because it was the wrong foods.. I ate the USDA high carb party line….made my dietitian happy, but no success for me. until I went Low Carb..then my body started dropping.

also the women who jerk their body around with egg fasts, water fasts, 3 hours of elliptical workouts may lose, but confuse the body further as it really can't figure out what is SAFE…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRQrvxTLOIE
8 Low Carb Hacks for Women

this woman has a fun site, and covers all the low carb bases..she IS younger, and healthier..so that is a plus..all you can do it be persistent…there are no easy outs when your body has metabolic issues, meds/injury, age, etc to deal with.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-15, 09:10

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa-red
Sorry, I just really needed to vent. It's frustrating and very discouraging to be killing myself by working at it so hard and stressing out over every little thing I eat and still not seeing any results. Thanks for listening.

Stress itself puts on pounds, you know!

So I'd cut myself a break. You might have health issues that need to be addressed. How's your sleep? I lost like 60-70 pounds (I don't have a scale) without exercising and then got a health issue, put on 30, and I'm still figuring out how to work out all my issues.

But they do get worked out. This is a great way to eat. So don't stress it, stop getting on the scale, and decide you are going to eat right and not worry about it for like, three months.

You will then be surprised at how your clothes fit, how you feel, and how much better your moods are. Because those are also victories.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-16-15, 13:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/166/147 Female 5ft 5ins
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

You will then be surprised at how your clothes fit, how you feel, and how much better your moods are. Because those are also victories.

I know this an old thread but there's such a lot of truth in your comment WereBear. Not to be struggling with carb addiction is such a bonus. I feel totally out of control on those high carb foods. It's like my personality changes and the main priority in any decision is WHERE/WHEN can I get access to food!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-15, 15:45

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 215/158.6/145 Female 5'6"
BF:Follows Behind Me!
Progress: 81%

Since you reopened this thread.....I use the analogy of ME ON CARBS IS LIKE AN ALCOHOLIC IN A LIQUOR STORE. I have no control, no thought of consequences. The little voice inside my head tells me that I can eat anything I want and will not gain weight. All the lies!!