Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-14, 06:33

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelanau
"10 pounds takes a whole lot longer to lose than 100."

Um... no, it doesn't. There are hundreds of individuals who have worked years to take off 100 pounds, with complete dedication to the task, that would take offense at that statement - myself included.

Sorry I offended you with my comment. No offense intended.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Mon, Jan-19-15, 10:57
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Hi, my name is Glenda and I'm a bonafide turtle. This July I'll be 70. I've been off and on Atkins since 1972 and I believe that kept me from getting diabetes.
I've been ON for the past 5 years and holding at the same weight as when I started.

Last January I started researching all the things I could give up in order to lose weight on HFLC/Atkins.

I gave up caffeine - no improvement
I gave up diet sodas - no
I gave up aspartame - no
I gave up my one prescription drug (HRT) - no
In desperation, I started to exercise. Since May, I've walked between 2.5 and 5 miles every day. - NOTHING HAPPENED.

So I put back my caffeine and the other things and this is where I stand now.

I'm still walking.
My HRT is down to .5mg per day. No other prescription meds.
I cut my dairy to the cream in my one mug of coffee per day, but sometimes I eat hard cheese.
No more peanut butter, but I do still eat nuts.
I eat dill pickles, onion, carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, 3 different AS, 1 diet soda per day. Tuna, tilapia, chicken, steak, eggs. Butter, mayo, herbs and spices. One raw apple per day (I discovered this protected me from GERD).
I take 2 tbls. of psyllium husks every day for added fiber.
I drink a LOT of water.

I welcome comments, especially if you spot something you think I can omit from my diet which might help me lose. I've cut so many things that I don't know if I can give up any more, but my mind is open.
  #153   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 05:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Hi, my name is Glenda and I'm a bonafide turtle. This July I'll be 70. I've been off and on Atkins since 1972 and I believe that kept me from getting diabetes.
I've been ON for the past 5 years and holding at the same weight as when I started.

Last January I started researching all the things I could give up in order to lose weight on HFLC/Atkins.

I gave up caffeine - no improvement
I gave up diet sodas - no
I gave up aspartame - no
I gave up my one prescription drug (HRT) - no
In desperation, I started to exercise. Since May, I've walked between 2.5 and 5 miles every day. - NOTHING HAPPENED.

So I put back my caffeine and the other things and this is where I stand now.

I'm still walking.
My HRT is down to .5mg per day. No other prescription meds.
I cut my dairy to the cream in my one mug of coffee per day, but sometimes I eat hard cheese.
No more peanut butter, but I do still eat nuts.
I eat dill pickles, onion, carrots, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, 3 different AS, 1 diet soda per day. Tuna, tilapia, chicken, steak, eggs. Butter, mayo, herbs and spices. One raw apple per day (I discovered this protected me from GERD).
I take 2 tbls. of psyllium husks every day for added fiber.
I drink a LOT of water.

I welcome comments, especially if you spot something you think I can omit from my diet which might help me lose. I've cut so many things that I don't know if I can give up any more, but my mind is open.

Welcome aboard. I found that in my 70's, I could not rely on just cutting down on carbs to lose, I had to cut way back on amounts as well. I was still eating too much even if it was primarily protein and fat. I now have to be very careful of calories as well. When I faithfully document everything I have had to eat and drink a day in my DietPower computer program, I can track where my issues are.

For example, nuts are a very high calorie food and can only be eaten in limited amounts and not every day. You might do well to eliminate them for a while. . Although they are primarily protein and fat, they do contain carbs. Some people see their blood sugar rise from drinking diet drinks so try to eliminate them completely. If you are on a prescription drug, you probably should stay on it and work around its side effects rather than just stop taking it. Will anything besides the apple stop the gerd? Can you live without cream in your coffee--some people find dairy stalls them.

These are just a few top of my head thoughts. I am now in my 80's and find my life as a turtle no longer as frustrating. I do wonder if I have reached my set-point (an old theory). I did lose 80 pounds in my 70's but that was on a very strict <20 grams carb and <1500 calories a day.

Since your body will react differently to LCHF than mine, I suggest you start some very careful tracking of everything you eat and drink after weighing and measuring and enter it into a computer program that will calculate exactly what you ate and how your body responded. Since you are a long term low carber, your body is well adjusted to a low carb life--now is the time to tweak. And tweaking takes a lot of time to show results.

From one elderly turtle to another--good luck.
  #154   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 08:13
Doing My Best

Thanks for your observations. I appreciate the advice.
  #155   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 11:08
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 215/210/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 10%

The Onions, Carrots and Apple kind of stand out as possible contributors, depending on quantities I guess.

Have you tried the idea that some other people have suggested - upping your fats and reducing protein ? Or the reverse. It seems the idea is to change whatever it is you are doing now and see if it gets results.

Also, if you are not currently tracking those food items in some kind of program (My Fitness Pal online is excellent and free), then you really don't know where you are in terms of total macros (fat, protein, carbs) and your total calorie intake.
You need that information first and then you can tweak the quantities - wait a couple of weeks, see what happens and maybe try a different strategy.

That said - I am also in the turtle club (turned 60 this fall) - and after 4 months of LCHF I have literally had only a few pounds weight difference via the scale but the measuring tape is proving I am having slow but steady progress. I am going to assume it is lean tissue building and stay positive.

I can actually feel the difference too, the fat seems different and I feel leaner even if my outward appearance hasn't drastically changed yet.

4 months isn't long enough to decide if this method is truly working, and it really doesn't matter as I am not going back to carb eating no matter what happens. It cured my IBS in one week, I have lots of energy, and I rarely get hungry between meals. I can also frequently go for 12-16 hours between meals with no suffering so that is kind of a bonus effect too.

FYI - This is another stall breaker method used by some - IF - or intermittent fasting. This is where every other day or two you go for an extended time without eating (coffee, liquids only) and then only eat meals during a shortened span of hours like 6-8 and then fast again. Some people do this quite often, some do it once a week but apparently it is enough to trigger weight loss when they are stalled.
  #156   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 11:24
Doing My Best

Thank you for these ideas.
I've tried practically everything to nudge my body weight downward, but I haven't tracked my food. It's a psychological thing with me. I hate to be told what to do and when to do it, so I don't eat on a schedule. I eat when I get hungry. Being on this WOE that means that I don't eat very much or very often. Maybe eating on a schedule would help.

When I'm feeling deprived, that's when I eat salted nuts and raw veggies (including the carrots) with my homemade high fat ranch dressing. This is usually to keep me from eating something off plan.
  #157   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-15, 14:06

BF:

You don't have to eat on a schedule when you are tracking your intake. You need to find out just how much you are eating--even if it doesn't feel like much. Nuts and carrots are not good choices if you are having trouble losing. It is an eye opener.