Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-20-04, 14:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/165/130 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 46%
Wink the green monster

Hi turtles

I've been stalled for over a year now. Nothing seems to help.
Lots of times I am thinking of going back to low cal. But I know I
will be hungry all the time, so I don't

But I just wanted to know, do you get jealous sometimes when you
see all those before and after pictures of people who lost a ton
of weight in a short time ? I often look at those pictures, and I am really happy for those people, but I also think WHY, WHY am I not a loser ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-04, 13:09
Registered Member

Stats: 203/182/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

It's funny, I was just thinking yesterday that I should cut back on my use of this site for that very reason. I appreciate all the support and everything, but reading every day about people who are dropping tons of weight with minimal effort (or even WITH effort) is driving me a little crazy lately.

The one thing that seems to be working for me (finally!!) is changing my calories (up, not down) and making sure I work out at least five days a week. I finally have seen the scale and the tape measure move, but it's still painfully slow.

So yes, I'm a bit green a lot of the time, too. (Plus for a while, I DID go back to low-fat, low-cal with Weight Watchers. But it was the same story there. Everyone else was dropping pounds every week, and I lost 3 pounds the first week and gained it back the next, and after 5 weeks of following the plan to the letter, I ended up a pound or two higher than when I'd started. And was starving the whole time.)
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 12:21

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

I feel green sometimes too, but on the whole MORE people are losing slow/stalling than losing fast, I think. There is a very small group of those who got to goal without a stall.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-26-04, 19:30

Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I guess we all get jealous. I want to get down to 200 lbs soooo bad and there is no way I make it. I got down to 230 then lost it for a weekend and gained 15 lbs. I have lost 5 lbs, so I am back to 240 lbs. and no matter what I do nothing seems to work. But I will be patient. I did not get this fat in 1 year anyway, right?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-04-04, 01:31
Registered Member

BF:

True. But it was still a whole lot easier to GAIN the weight than it is to LOSE it. LOL

At least I'm finally losing, slowly but surely. And I don't begrudge the others their success, I'd just like to join them. Or at least have one whoosh. I've never, EVER had one.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-04, 10:08
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I think the fast losers are a LOT more vocal about it, due to the excitement.(I sure would be!) I check back with them a few months later, and they're often posting about stalling and/or regaining. It's just hard to SEE that sometimes when I'm feeling down. I'll admit, I sometimes feel a small, mean pleasure.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-09-04, 05:24

Stats: 195/165/130 Female 159 cm
BF:
Progress: 46%

Help the green monster is back
My clothes of last year aren't fitting better.
Last year I bought some clothes on sale that were a little to small, hoping they would fit very soon. But one year later they don't fit yet. It's so frustrating. I want to shrink !
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 21:44
Registered Member

BF:

At least you haven't gotten any bigger, right? It could be worse!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 22:19
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

To all you stallers without gym logs or journals - START ONE! Maybe there are folks who will be able to offer suggestions if we can see what you're doing that ISN'T working.

Okay? And it's not hopeless.

#10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 03:04
Princess Perseverant

Plan: general LC - pregnant
Stats: 250/157/157 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

For sure I get a little jealous when I see people whooshing their way to success in very little time. In two months I'll have been low carbing for three years, and I'm still not at goal. I have had whooshes in the past, but I've also had very long stalls when nothing budges for months. I also tend to get jealous when people who are around the same weight at me are having more success than me, and dropping, while I stay the same - but then sometimes I look at their stats a few months later and I've lost more than they have. I'd say I'm definitely a turtle - if you equal out my weight loss over the entire three years it's been about half a pound a week, and for someone with over 100 pounds to lose that's not very much. But I'll take it! I will never quit this WOE, I've still lost double the amount of weight I ever lost eating the low fat way, and without the hunger/cravings/feelings of deprivation, too. I find I get most frustrated when I am doing everything to the letter; cutting out *all* the foods that may stall, and still nothing changes. But I really am beginning to think that it's just that fat/water thing going on - I am probably losing weight constantly, albeit very slowly, but the cells are filled with water once the fat is used up, and then at some point my body decides to let it go and I lose a few pounds.

Sure, I wish I was one of those people for whom this is a quick miracle cure, but I'm just not. My body is stubborn and defective - but I knew that already! It may not be a quick miracle cure, but it *is* a miracle cure, all the same...

Deborah
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-20-04, 03:52
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Yes, i get sooooooooo green about other people who are losing faster than me, but then I believe that most of the people on here are not losing so fast, and from what I can see in peoples journals and posts almost every hour, people don't lose weight all in one go - there is a pattern to it - and unless you're a excersize-a-holic who works out three hours every day i think you're going to lose it just like everyone else seems to.....slowly!
Such is life! and we are all very impatient!
xxxxx
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 17:32

Stats: 232/216/142 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

yes the green monster sneaks up on me too. My sister-in-law lost a ton of weight and she is very vocal about it and I try and compliment her, but she is just so up in everybodys face and trying to tell everyone else how to do it. Even though she used drugs to lose weight, I will never do that!!!!
I just want to lose weight so bad! I want to be happy for eveyone and I am but it hurts to see a lot of people passing me by.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 18:57

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

I'm a turtle too. But I have very little loose skin, and I tell myself "maybe that's why...". Oh, and not gaining for months and months is something I can be very grateful for now, even if I'm not losing!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-04, 06:55

Plan: M&E no cheese no cream
Stats: 286/277.8/175 Female 170 cms
BF:130/126.1/80 KILO
Progress: 7%

Sooike, I treid sending you a private message, but your mailbox is full, so here goes:
goedendag Sooike!
It's a pity you don't have a journal, I wanted to let you know that I've finally sytarted losing weight again after a two years' stall, so that might give you hope!
I have now lowered my protein intake to minimal requirements and feel terrific and have started losing. slowly, of course, but that doesn't matter. Easy does it!
Hope yoiu find this and let me know when you've got a journal (see Bootcamp in this forum), then we can talk more!
groetjes
Willeke
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-04, 17:32

Stats: 199/177/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hi Ladies,
Everyone stalls. Some of us more often and longer than others but it happens to everyone. Do you feel better ? Where in the world can you go and get the kind of support that you find here ? I have actually made some fantastic friends on this site. How much we weigh is only a small piece of who we are. I still have 50 pounds to lose. I've lost 30 so far and I have been at this for almost 2 years. There are times that I cheat and have to start all over and then there are times that I know the reason I'm having a hard time losing is because of my age . People who don't have a great deal to lose may lose slower than others. Some people lose a lot really fast. Some of the weight is water loss. Are you drinking water everyday ? Sometimes a person is eating too much artificial sweetner, too much cheese, or maybe you need to change your exercise program. Whatever the reason just don't give up!! I'm going to stick with low carb even if I don't lose one more pouind. I have more energy, I sleep better and I'm not destroying my health with the junk food I use to eat. Hang in there things will happen sooner or later.