Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 01:13

Plan: schwarzbein/ hellers low carb
Stats: 150/142/119
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Hi I'm new here I'm on The Schwarzbein Principle woe

[COLOR=darkblue]Hi,
I'm really glad to see there is a low carb forum for Fibro/cfs/me here.

I have had ME for the last 9 years. I was in remission for the last 3 years yet have recently had a serious relapse....so i'm back to the starting block on all my symptoms. My doctor recommended going on a high protein high fat diet. So i researched low carb diets ......The Schwarzbein principle seemed to be for me the most suitable. Her book is brilliant . I would recommend it to all sufferers ( as an essential read even if u don't follow her woe) as it has some very valuble info on physiology, carb addiction, how and why we become addicted, hyperinsulinism, low serotonin levels, vits/minerals etc.

Since I started TSP I have lost 7lbs in 5 weeks ...this woe isn't about quick weight loss it is about losing weight steadily and most importantly restoring the body's metabolism/health.

When i lowered my carb intake i noticed i went through withdrawal, a dark depression, fatigue, feeling totally out of sorts along with my symptoms of ME. I got through it and it was worth it. I also started taking St Johns wort, loads of vitamins/minerals/digestive enzymes which have also helped.

I am at a disadvantage tho because i can't exercise, hence will find it a little harder to lose weight and gain muscle mass .......................any tips out there anyone???

Liberty x
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 22:55
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 176/170/130
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi Liberty, are you able to get out and walk for 20 minutes? Or even 10? I have a bike and somedays I can't go out at all, but I live close by a park and I just ride around there for a while. I actually find biking (on even ground) easier than walking. If I feel weak, it seems easier to sit on a bike then carry my weight around. Not in heavy traffic though. With brain fog, I wouldn't advise biking in a city on streets with busy traffic. Never mind a car hitting me, I feel that one day I'll ride into a parked car, some days I'm so out of it! I know that's probably not much help, but if you can get to a park or something. Even walk around the block a couple of times. I borrowed that book you recommended in my thread. Thanks. Take care.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-21-02, 23:03
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 176/170/130
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi Liberty, are you able to get out and walk for 20 minutes? Or even 10? I have a bike and somedays I can't go out at all, but I live close by a park and I just ride around there for a while. I actually find biking (on even ground) easier than walking. If I feel weak, it seems easier to sit on a bike then carry my weight around. Not in heavy traffic though. With brain fog, I wouldn't advise biking in a city on streets with busy traffic. Never mind a car hitting me, I feel that one day I'll ride into a parked car, some days I'm so out of it! I know that's probably not much help, but if you can get to a park or something. Even walk around the block a couple of times. I borrowed that book you recommended in my thread. Thanks. Take care.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-05, 07:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 201/201/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Liberty, go to womentowomen.com. I am doing this doctor recommend plan along with TSP--and it has made a huge difference for me.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-28-06, 03:22
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein!!
Stats: -/-/- Female 162 cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 1600%

Hi liberty! I'm doing Schwarzbein too, I have CFS. I don't exercise much, but I do putter around the garden on better days. I figure I'm healing nbow, and once I've made some progress I'll start some weights/resistance exercise like yoga. If I do too much now, I crash.

Anyway, good luck!! And you can post on the Schwarzbein Principle forum too.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-06-06, 11:18

Plan: paleo
Stats: 166/166/148 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

erg, yes, i too have had relapse with my CFIDS/ME. i also have embarked on high protein-good fats, low carb program. but i'm still wading through the misery at the moment.

exercise makes for a very difficult and perplexing situation. aerobic exercise is bad for CFIDS/ME people. i have too much pain to walk. i can bike a bit, but not very often. too much (and it doesn't take much) of anything makes me crash. i try to do some floor exercises- stretches, some push-ups from the knees for strenthening sometimes i can; sometimes i just can't. it gets quite discouraging. when my health picks up once more i'll feel brighter about it all.

sascha- if anyone finds good exercise inf. i hope that person posts here.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-08-06, 10:29

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 200/199/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF: A lot!
Progress: 1%
Default welcome sacha

Welcome to the board sacha. I have FMS and some other issues... I basically lost 56 lbs w/o a lot of working out. If you stick to your p[lan and let it take its course you can loose weight. I will say that when you do work out you will probably loose faster. I loose VERY slowly so don't give up! it will come off. I also don't set myself up for failure by cheating or getting on scale daily or weekly. It is enough for me too know that I am feeling better and making a healthy choice by taking control of my eating.

Take care and I hope I helped you some,
Cocoa
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-07, 13:52

Plan: SP
Stats: 175/175/145 Female 64"
BF:
Progress:

I'm new to this whole thing and it seems overwhelming. How did you give up sugar and how do you sweeten things like oatmeal?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-20-07, 13:56

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

This is a very old thread and the people might have left a while ago. Try to read people's experience in here.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103