Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-16, 08:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Toddler in the house, TTC, and restarting ketosis

Hi everyone:

It's been quite a few years since I've done Atkins (amusingly now known as "The Ketosis Diet" - er... Atkins a dirty word now?) and despite trying loads of stuff under the sun, I keep gaining back to around 300 lbs.

Right now, I'm working on trying to get back some willpower to get back to Atkins, but I have a few things I'm fighting against and I'm not sure how to manage them:

1) husband and housemates who love bread and treats. The housemate is really nervous about dieting in general (bad childhood) and so I can't really discuss things with her without causing some latent PTSD to erupt.

2) I have a toddler whose favorite food is generally of the carbohydrate variety. I do want to steer her toward more balance, but as she's only 2, I still want to make her toast and pancakes and give her yogurt. I also greatly enjoy baking for her. I know some of that needs to change, but I'm not sure how to wrap my head around it yet.

3) We're TTC and while I understand that ketosis and pregnancy aren't mutually exclusive, I'm worried about not having the willpower necessary to maintain it once I'm pregnant.

I'm just looking for some advice and support about how to juggle all these roadblocks in my head, and figure out how to restart this in a life that doesn't allow me to create a clean environment and avoid temptation.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-16, 09:47

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Some thoughts:

It's not just good for you. It's good for everyone. Maybe you cannot convince the other adults, but you can guide your child/ren towards healthier eating, which will save them from health problems down the road.

It's not easy, but it is possible to ignore junk. I do, and I used to have an eating disorder. Not giving up, sticking with what is best for you, and keeping New Treats around, like fresh berries, fine cheese, or other good foods, is how I can ignore break rooms, coffee places, and so forth.

The urge for carbohydrate is a real thing, but if you are using it as a stress response, you need better ones.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-16, 10:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back again,

Would it help your willpower to restart by learning more about the diet and its health benefits? Here is a great website new since the last time you tried Atkins, that does a good job explaining a Keto diet. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

Also Search for pregnancy and fertility on that site and you will find great interviews and answers from Dr Michael Fox to help you. The Two Week Challenge there is an induction style diet that is strict but very simple to follow. A LC diet for weight loss has been around since the 1860s, Dr Atkins never claimed to invent it and he has been dead for 13 years. High time to use a generic name for this healthy LC WOE, not tied to any one guru or processed food company.

This website has great information for Kids, http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/kids/. As does DietDoctor already linked above.

You might read some of the milestones and success stories for how others found "willpower"... with the majority of members here doing that without family support. Most of us live in environments that are not Low Carb. Just two examples:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=473612
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=472345
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-16, 10:10

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 179/141/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

It is hard to restrict carbs with a toddler. My grandkids just don't care for much meat or fish. The kids' parents are, however, very strict about sugar. They get milk or water. No fruit juice. Plain unsweetened yogurt flavored with berries. Baked goods are small portions. They eat beans and lentils and love veggies. She makes zucchini cakes that they love. While noodles and rice are in their diets, sugar is not. Visit this site often and check out the recipes. You can do it!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-16, 10:12

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Hi there and welcome!

1. don't worry about DH and housemate right now. Changing your own diet is hard enough- if you stay the course and they see your results, maybe they will become curious/interested/motivated by you. But DON'T try to force it on them. Adults have to come to their decisions.

2. for your little one, why not strat replacing some of the unhealthy stuff with healthy stuff you go out of the way to make "fun" or appealing to a toddler? My mom did this when i got diabetes at age 8, and it ended up in me choosing a career in health and wellness.
I would google paleo kids or something to that effect.
A few ideas:
instead of baking cakespies- you could do baked apples, cored and stuffed with cinnamon, nuts/raisins. you could do a peach cobbler with a shredded coconut or almond flour topping.
instead of icecream what about a smoothie made with a frozen banana, nut butter and milk/milk alternative.
skewers of fruit and cheese makes it "fun"
apple slices and babycarrots dipped in nutbutter
i loved ants on a log, even as a very young kid- celery stuffe with pb and raisins
google south beach peanut butter cookies- they are cookies made just from pb, an egg, vanilla and sweetener
try making carrot "fries" or mashed cauli "fauxtatoes." zuchiini breaded in parmesan would be appealing, i think?
left over meatballs could be easy snack.
dehydrated fruit instead of cereal.....

for yougurt, i would just get the unsweetened kind and sweeten it yourself and add fresh fruit. you can even make easy syrup by heating berries of choice and a little sweetener until it is syrupy- strawberry and blueberries are my two favorites for this.

3. good luck TTC! don't worry about whether you can stay on plan during pregnancy, before you are pregnant. know that by losing weight and getting healthier now, it is more likely you will conceive. once ou become pregnant you will know a lot more the diet, and can decide how to adapt to fit the needs you will have during pregnancy.
There is also a subforum here for pregnant women/new moms if you scroll down a bit.

Last edited by Robin120 : Thu, Oct-06-16 at 10:30.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-16, 10:16
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by delilah
... and figure out how to restart this in a life that doesn't allow me to create a clean environment and avoid temptation.

First of all, welcome back. I wish you the best as you get started.

I married a woman who thinks that if they sell it at a convenience store, then it belongs in our pantry. She loved sweets, chocolate, pastries, bread, and heat-n-eat processed food. She didn't get fat from it and she was the one doing the grocery shopping. Our fridge, pantry, and cupboards were always filled with junk that I shouldn't have been eating. I couldn't stay out of it and I sure got fat from it. When I was attempting to "diet" some weight off, I could resist the junk for a while - but I'd eventually run out of will power, snap, then dive back into eating junk. This eventually lead to a tendency to binge on the junk. I pretty much blamed my wife for having all this tempting food in the house.

When I started this round of dieting in 2014 I vowed never to cheat. If a food was not on my allowable on-plan food list, I was not going to eat it no matter what. I also accepted the fact that things were never going to change in my house as far as having tempting off-plan foods at every turn. I realized that this was, after all, just another excuse. It is harder to resist something that is within reach each and every day - but it is doable. I'd done it before. I just needed to buck-up and keep doing it. I managed to do it. Having a zero tolerance policy for eating high carb food actually worked. I don't count the carbs of a cookie and try to figure out how I can work one in on a given day. I don't eat cookies. I don't eat bread, French fries, cake, candy, etc. either. I eat low carb food, period. Some times I eat too much of it. Sometimes I go over my carb limit. But I never caved to temptation and dabbled in off plan food.

It was hard... sometimes very hard. But that did not last. In time (2 or 3 months in) it started to get easier. At 6 months I really started to feel that I was breaking free from the pull of those old favorites. They were not calling my name anymore. It was then that I realized that this really was an addiction. And even though my wife did not get fat from it, she was addicted to the sweet, carby junk, too. I stopped blaming her for my problems and just learned to deal with having it around and not eating it.

I had tried low carb many, many times over the past 25 years. Never had I gone so long without cheating. Had no idea that the feelings of deprivation and temptation would subside if I just stuck to the program. Had I known that, I think I may have resolved my weight and eating issues a long time ago. I can't change that now. I can only look forward. The future looks good.

Funny thing about my pantry... when I started to get healthy, the rest of the family took notice. They started wanting to eat how I eat. They still have some foods that I don't eat, but they all eat a much less sugar and more fat. They eat a healthier diet.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-16, 21:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thank you all so, so much for helping me get some perspective again. The links and the cooking ideas are especially helpful. I just got back from Iceland and am looking forward to making my own skyr with her (a low-carb, very high protein type of cheese that is often mistaken for yogurt - and yes, I know *I* need to wait until I get to the dairy tier!).

More real cooking and more preparation and more involvement and more willpower. Fortunately, I still remember how freeing it was to break free of all those lovely bread products. Hard, but I did feel great. It's just hard to get past the inertia right now.