Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2476   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-17, 12:03

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Home from golf and finally getting warm. When we started this morning, you could see your breath! The 2 girls I played with had on short sleeves and shorts. Me.....I had 4 layers and was just comfortable. I didn't play well at all, but it's only a silly game.

I felt better today. I think the antibiotics finally have this UTI on the run. I also ordered some supplements that were recommended to me to help with the UTI. D-Mannose powder & Oil of Oregano capsules. They are supposed to help with keeping bacteria out of the bladder. Once I'm all better, I won't take it every day, but maybe a dose once a week or so.

I've started a new experiment with my eating. I'm using my blood glucose meter to test how foods affect me. I tested first thing this morning...78. At the club I had a bowl of chili(with beans) and a Mich Ultra low carb beer for lunch. I came home and tested my BS 1 hour after beginning my meal....82. The article I read suggested that any food that causes you to be over 100 1 hour after eating should probably be avoided. I will only do this with foods that I suspect might be a problem. So, the results of today's experiment suggest that I can get away with eating some beans on occasion. The nurse who wrote the article calls this "Eating to your meter". I find it interesting and eye opening.

It must be "rib day"! Both Trig & Jaz making ribs for dinner....Yum! I'm not sure what we'll have. I could be happy with eggs. Our 13 year old grandson is here, so we may have to get pizza for him.

Jaz...you will feel so accomplished to have all your cleaning done and everything sparkling! Not to mention your closet purge. That feels wonderful. I did that in the early part of the summer. I still have 1 more closet to go.

Nic...sounds like your son is adjusting fine to college life. I hope he likes his classes & professors.

KMom.....a family cruise! What fun! Like Jaz, I would like you to adopt me for a week.

Blue...sorry about your client who is selling her business. I have no doubt that more jobs will come your way. Things always have a way of working themselves out.

College football on TV all afternoon and evening here. Good thing I enjoy watching the games or DH and I might have issues. I have my laptop computer right here and when I get sick of football, I watch something on YouTube or read something interesting.

Stay sweet everyone!

Last edited by Lori_:) : Sat, Sep-02-17 at 13:35.
Sponsored Links
  #2477   ^
Old Sat, Sep-02-17, 18:00

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Hubby and I are just back from a movie and dinner. We saw "Hero" w/Sam Elliot. Have I ever mentioned that I've always been in love w/Sam? The guy is 70 and still sexy as hell. Sweet movie. We saw it at the $2 movie theater. It's all about slicing dimes these days.

Then, this morning I was cleaning/sorting/organizing the top of my desk (It's a large desk w/too much stuff on it) and happened upon a gift certificate to a great little place in the neighborhood for dinner...my brother gave it to me over a year ago and I forgot it was in one of my stacks. So we had a free dinner.

Total cost of movie, popcorn, and dinner? About $10 thanks to cheap theater, senior discount and gift certificate!

LOL, I'm starting to count dimes more fiercely than I count carbs, even though the money is still coming in. That will slow down greatly soon for awhile at least. Hubby wants to know where Blue went and when she's coming back, as he has always been the penny pincher in our house and now I'm outdoing him. Seriously, this is going to be my new hobby---how cheap can we do it?! Hobbies are fun, gotta frame this whole thing right.

Tonight was going to be a treat night, but other than about one cup of popcorn that I mouse bit my way thru (about 7 carbs) I stayed on plan because it was easy at the restaurant we went to. Had a delicious pork chop w/a dollop of chutney and a side Caesar salad. Artichoke for lunch. So w/popcorn, dollop of chutney and artichoke, figuring about 25 to 30 net carbs for the day, which I do not consider a treat day, just on the higher end of a normal LC day for me.

Back tomorrow w/personals, feeling pooped out from our big date---even if we are home at 7pm. Hubby and I were laughing about how senior we're feeling---next thing you know we'll be looking for those old folks' Early Bird Specials. My parents used to do those. Home by 5:30 on a Saturday night and happy about it.
  #2478   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 05:06

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Well it sounds like everyone is doing ok.
I love reading this thread

fast one.....still cloudy but improving and hubby off work today, so I think we might 'do something'...not sure what. Will figure it out but 'we ain't all sitting' around this house today staring at each other LOL, we are gonna starting moving and shaking a bit today. Get the old blood pumping

everyone have a fine sunday
  #2479   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 07:25

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Warming up for a couple of days here but even that is just in the 80s, summer was quite mild here. Last night I slept so well in our chilly room- it was lovely! I slept til 8 AM! Oh happy day!

Jaz- Sounds like you got a LOT done yesterday with cleaning and laundry, closet purging and ribs and such. Good on you!
I do indeed still use my McSteamy several times a week. One of the most used items in my kitchen.

Lori- Very interested in your experimentation with your Blood Glucose meter. I know results vary from person to person but nonetheless very curious to see what you find out about different items. Please share!

Blue- Agree with you about Sam Eliot. The man exudes serious sexiness. Yum.
Girl, I am proud of you and the many ways you are not only accepting that changes are happening but finding ways to embrace that and make it even, dare I say it, fun! You are inspiring me greatly!!

Trig- Have fun out and about today with your hubby!

••••••••••

Today is cloudy and then clearing with a high of 76. I think I will take a walk around the lake with the dogs today (sticking to a paved path) since it was so rainy yesterday, and then on Labor Day I will go hiking (Sunny, high 81) for a perfect long weekend!

I should hear from DS18 via FT today. YAY!! Terps won in a big upset over the Longhorns yesterday so that was exciting. DS was at a watch party and said it was awesome.

DS15 was holed up playing video games yesterday. Letting him have free reign because once Tuesday hits, that will be mostly over for a while. Last night Dh showed him how to transpose music and said DS15's eyes lit up and his mind was blown. I suspect he was up for a couple of hours working on music after that.

Guess that is most of what is going on. I am in a good place and making good choices. Riding that train!
  #2480   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 07:34

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

BLUE- there is NOTHING wrong with the EARLY BIRD SPECIALS! I love them. As a matter of fact- I have been known to scoot into a place and ask for the "lunch"- menu at 4. Cheaper- and it's in my eating window!
Saving money is a hobby of mine too! You all walked with me through my days of unemployment. I will say to that you get a real sense of WANT vs NEED. It sorta changes ya.
I wish we had the 2$ movies here. Ohio had them and the kids and I would go all the time. We would seriously wait until the movies we wanted to see would come to that theater.
BTW- Sam Elliot is HOT- He could eat crackers in my bed! A quite cowboy!

Trig- How were your ribs? Did you do them on the grill? I agree with you, I am ready for this lousy summer to be over. Funny But I am ready to skip winter entirely and go right into spring! HAHAHAHA
I love fall- my favorite time of year. However it is somewhat of a bittersweet thing- as it leads to winter. My least favorite season.
How did I get on that rant? I guess I was thinking of you and hiking. I want to ask you a serious question.
I have noticed some snakes. Now I am sorta freaked out about hiking. Apparently in this part of the country they are multiplying like crazy due to the rain. I was wondering if you have encountered any on your hikes. The last 2 hikes I went on I saw a snake. granted one was a baby, and the other one was dead- but still. ehh ew.
My ribs turned out great- left overs too!

Leeann- I know you are having a great weekend. The last big shindig of summer! Can't wait hear all about it!

Lori- I think that is funny, you all bundled up and the other ladies in shorts and lightweight shirts. Ya know when I lost all my weight 7 years ago- I was cold all the time. Looking back on it now I wonder if my body was having issues adjusting to less fat. Believe it or not I had a body fat of only 13%. I had someone measure me. - OMG now my back has more fat than 13%

Oh... a weekend with the grandkids! Fun!

KMOM- still waiting to see if you are going to "adopt" me. HAHAHAHAH- I know you are looking forward to that cruise.
How are you feeling BTW?
I finished up water 5/5 yesterday!
------------------------------------------------
Yesterday was delightful. Had my windows open all day. Now I am wondering if that is the reason I woke up with a stuffed up head?
I got most of my cleaning done- and it feels great. Sun is out again, sunny and warm today and tomorrow. But every now and again I dig a cold rainy day. Gives me a reason to put a pot of chili on the stove and curl of in fuzzy blankets and read the day away.
Can ya tell I am over summer? HAHAHAH

My ribs were good. I made them in my IPOT- and finished them in the oven. Very good.
I have 2 ribeye steaks to cook up or need to freeze one. I like having one as left over. I make steak salad then the next day. I will use the pool grill. Only way to have a good steak.

I got brave and decided to get back into the dating websites. I go through periods. I am so independent. But hey- nothing lost, nothing gained. I still believe in fairy tale endings.

Bella is SO happy I have lavished her with attention yesterday. We even went to the park for a brisk walk. Then I took her off the leash as it had barriers so she could run. It was fun to see her run like a pup again. I so need to do more of that. Nobody was there- so it was fine. She is curled at my feet now- snoring away.

Ok all- I know today will be a good eating day. Can't go wrong with steak. So all is good!
Have a great day
  #2481   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 11:40

BF:

Good Afternoon!

I thought I played a bad round of golf yesterday? HA! Today was worse yet. It was not helped by the rain and soggy course conditions. It rained quite hard for awhile which is never fun while trying to play golf. Tomorrow is supposed to be very nice....perhaps my game will improve too?

Another BG meter test today. I ate 1/2 a tuna salad sandwich on a pretzel roll & some potato chips with my lite beer. BG was 103. I knew the bread would put it up. I'm thinking I shouldn't tell you all about these off plan things I'm eating. I don't want to trigger anyone's appetite. I will share if you want, but let me know if you'd rather I didn't.

Well, I think I could use a nap. My furry alarm clock went off at 3:30 this morning. :-( This will be my life all Fall & Winter as I don't make her stay out when it is chilly outside. She likes to be out in the summer, but lately she's wanted in before bedtime.

I hope you've all enjoyed your Sunday. Enjoy your Labor Day too!

Last edited by Lori_:) : Sun, Sep-03-17 at 15:48.
  #2482   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 15:52

BF:

OK- LORI- so when are you taking these blood sugars? After you eat? If that is the case then awesome on you! Also even if it was a fasting - it is HARDLY over the edge. I would need another reading to be sure. Also water can play a part. One reading is not an indicator unless over 200/ or 120 fasting.

Just a quickie post.
I met a guy! yes I did- sorta. We are going for coffee tomorrow.
He is funny and from MI- midwest guy. And did I say cute!

I however am fighting some kind of something that sent me home from the pool when I was hanging out with neighbors. Cold sweats, no want of food, stuffed head, sore throat........ I think I am slightly with fever- just ick.
I forced myself to eat something, ribeye.
I wanted something lighter but had not energy other than to toss a steak onto my grill pan. It was ok-
TRIG- no wonder you eat 1-2 steaks, but the time you trim off all the fat- there is nothing left but a few bites! I had to laugh.....

Ok- going to get some wine- I know right mix with meds right? No carbs or calories hardly at all today- 1 glass might do me well.

Have great night
  #2483   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 17:20

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Lori- 102 is IMO really good, especially given the roll and the chips and the Lite Beer. I am totally fine and very curious about your readings but if anyone is really bothered then they should speak up. Hope your game goes better tomorrow.

Jaz- Well hon, it sounds like you are fighting at least a cold if not something more. Take care of you, rest, and if you need to reschedule then do so. He will still be there! Crossing fingers and toes that he is a nice, normal guy!

I did well today and I'm pleased. Dh wanted to go out to the Mexican place and that is a place where I usually splurge. But today I did not. I took a few (like 8) pork crackling pieces with me and had them while he had a bunch of chips and salsa, and then I ordered this tower thing that has chicken, steak, bacon wrapped shrimp and veggies. I think it had a little teriyaki sauce drizzled over it but they light it on fire so i couldn't quite tell. I'd asked for it on the side. If there was any it wasn't much. I ate 1 shrimp, 2 pieces of the steak and one piece of the chicken and brought the rest home. I have at least one more meal off of it now. So another good day. We also took the dogs for a 2.6 mile walk around the lake as well today. Tomorrow I'm going to go hiking!
  #2484   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 17:21

BF:
Progress:

Hi all.

Lori---Interesting that you are doing the BG thing. How does that work? Do you have to prick yourself for blood? Seriously, I know nothing about how this works. But I think it's all part of the great experimentation of LC eating. Knowing exactly how foods are effecting you makes you look at them that way, KWIM?

For me, I have no problem when people mention what they had for a treat. Doesn't trigger me at all. When we go out to eat I see all kinds of carbs everywhere around me. Last night we sat next to a table of 4 gals, each had their own specialty pizza and sides of macaroni and cheese! I see commercials on TV that slather all the photographic skills in the world on carby foods all the time. It's just part of life, all around us, there will always be triggers and lots of them, and we have to learn to make our own decisions, regardless. Just my opinion.

Particularly in this case, as you are experimenting and learning, and that is SO interesting to me.

Nic---SIGH. Reading about your son's first days on campus are bringing back lovely memories. I will NEVER forget my first fall at college, it was...halcyon. Such a feeling of freedom and growing up and new things!

After everything your son went thru applying, I just have this feeling that he ended up in the very best place for him. To me, one that will allow him academic excellence, and also some freedom to have fun. And, as I have noted before, that is a gorgeous campus. Out of a movie.

Jaz---BTW, for you guys who agree w/me about Sam Elliot I can suggest the sweetest darn movie w/he and Blythe Danner. It's on Netflix. "I'll see you in my dreams." SO funny and poignant. Highly recommend. LOL, as an older dame I am cheering movies that show our batteries don't go dead after 60.

And yes, "need vs. want." It's funny how little I feel I "want" right now besides peace and freedom from financial fear. Sure does change the way you look at things and fast.

Sorry you've got some kind of crud, happy you've got a new guy prospect! LOL, penny, meet Jaz. She's just gonna keep tossin' you till you turn up heads for her. And that's called spirit to go on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did Z big nothing today. Read some, napped some, watched some TV. Seems these days I need my down time and no matter what I think I should be getting done, the brakes go on and something says to me, REST. TAKE A BREAK. It will all be there tomorrow.

Solidly on plan again today. Ticking the days off one at a time. For us, this was a very quiet Labor Day weekend...we are usually in Madison or at various get togethers. Which makes staying on plan harder.

But this year, many of our pals were out of town instead of us, and we're happy w/our decision not to take our usual trip to my hometown. Just felt like too much effort w/so much going on.

So, no temptations in my path on this holiday weekend, even skipped a planned treat night thanks to gift certificate. (Hubby was going to make his marvelous homemade margarita pizza last night. Didn't happen, and on we go.)

Last edited by Blue52 : Sun, Sep-03-17 at 17:36.
  #2485   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 17:31

BF:
Progress:

Nic---and we cross posted again! Isn't it funny how that happens? I mean what are the chances we, in all our different places and lives, just decide to sit down at the same time and post here?! LOL, maybe it's like gal pals and their synchronized periods, and we're all growing together in more ways than we think.

In any case, GOOD ON YOU for the choices you are making. You said you were making better ones and you are! Funny how once we get into the groove of making better decisions, it all comes back to us.

All of a sudden what we felt free to do just a week or two ago, isn't working for us now. We catch ourselves before the BIG fall. And that is a beautiful thing. We don't have to maintain our lowest ever loss, we just have to make sure we don't gain MOST or MORE of it back.

It's not a contest, and you don't always have to be the greatest maintainer of all times. You just have to not go back to the darker times of just TOO overweight. I think we all know where that line is, and once crossed, ever harder to get back to having to lose just 10 pounds.

XO
  #2486   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 19:52

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Jaz, cut off the fat, are ya insane...that is the best part...omg you need some zc schooling here LOL
  #2487   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 19:54

BF:

OMG I JUST LOVE THIS THREAD!!!!!! Can I just say!!!!!!

you ladies ....... Well if KMOM doesn't;t get the rights I will. FOR THE BOOK OF US Well are a bunch for sure! (remember- I want to be played by Sandra Bullock!

Just a quickie in and out as I am fighting some kind of crud- BUT have 3 dates lined up tomorrow. I kind you not. All coffee- my heart will be a ticking...... one cup each and done. It all just a meet and greet. funny how that happened. I hope I can be up to it!

I know TRIG........ Keep ya posted. HAHAHAHAH

Ya know what I love most- we all keep each other in love in check
  #2488   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 20:04

Plan: 20 net carbs
Stats: 250/210/175 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress:

Sorry guys. SD has been here since Friday afternoon. She is a whirlwind! She brings me so much joy, but yikers!

Will read past posts tomorrow night or Tuesday morning. She is here till tomorrow after supper. Then I will bring her back to her group home and we are going to work on her room a little more. She really has a cute room. Mostly stuff from Teen Pottery Barn. Just got her some really cool containers from The Container Store to get her more organized. They are a cloth kind of thing with a place to add what's inside. A little pricey, but they are just what she needs! And I think they will last a long time.

K-Mom 10x4
  #2489   ^
Old Sun, Sep-03-17, 20:30

BF:
Progress:

Trig and jaz---well, I had a sirloin steak tonight that was SO fatty I couldn't handle it, so I understand both your POVs. I had to cut so much away.

I just can't handle a lot of that kind of meat fat. Trig, I think you like your steaks really well done, which means the fat gets crispier? I like my steaks Medium to MR, and in that case, the fat is gelatinous and blubbery in my mouth and I have to chew forever to get it down. I don't like that.

Recently I tried to do my BPC again, and found that amount of fat really upset my stomach. The minute I stopped doing them, my stomach settled. I DO get my fat in, but I guess for me it's better to do it w/dairy---cream, sour cream, butter, cheese. And then there's the oils, olive oil, avocado oil etc. Know some can't do dairy, glad I can, because it works for me.

And, BACON. I like my bacon really well done, so it breaks in half. Bacon is very fatty, but I don't feel the fat in my mouth when it's done to a crisp the way I like it.

Which just shows to go you, we all have different taste buds, and different ideas of what feels good in our mouths. Yeah, the whole mouth feel thing is not something everyone talks about a lot. But it is an important factor. For instance, Okra. I don't even know what it tastes like because I can't get beyond the slimy feeling in my mouth. Same with excess fat on meats. Eh, we are all different.

Hubby is snoring on the living room floor, and I'm wide awake, so thought I'd come back for some chat. And here were some of my gals, still awake like me on a Sunday holiday eve.

Jaz---THREE meet ups on one day?!---well, I guess for me, that pretty well describes LABOR Day. Sounds like so much work to me, all in a day. I don't know how you do it, but I wish you well doing it. Fingers crossed for you, always.

K-mom---You are such a good mama! Your SD is so blessed, as I know you are with her.

Hey, I've been bad at my water again. But have a big note on my desk, "drink more water today." Honest to God, I don't know why I struggle with this so much when there are so many harder things in the world, and in my life right now.

Last edited by Blue52 : Sun, Sep-03-17 at 23:48.
  #2490   ^
Old Mon, Sep-04-17, 03:08

BF:

Good Morning!

Jaz.....3 dates in 1 day?! Woohoo! How did that come to be? Are you back on a dating site? Exciting!

When I test my BG in the morning it is fasting...usually around 80. The after meal testing is done an hour after your first bite of a meal. The chili with beans caused hardly any spike, but the 1/2 sandwich and chips caused it to go up to 103. Still not too bad. I won't be doing this every day, only when I eat something questionable. If you're interested in reading the blog post that prompted me to do this, google - Eat to your meter Low Carb RN. She is a nurse and has a LC blog. Oh Blue.....yes, it is a blood test. A little finger stick and the drop of blood is put on a strip that is in the meter....easy!

I'm a bit squeamish about fat as well. I can eat bacon fat that is pretty well cooked, but beef fat grosses me out a bit. I can eat the fat on a pork chop to a degree. Don't get me started on finding fat or gristle on a piece of chicken...once I get that in mouth, I'm done eating. Blech. I'm a chicken snob, has to be boneless skinless breast with no icky stuff. I can't even eat a thigh or leg or wings. Weird, I know.

As for my golf game.....I was totally frustrated yesterday and fear I acted like a lunatic. I got SO upset. I truly felt sick to my stomach as my score kept mounting and mounting. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Everything that could go wrong, did. In the water, off to the side, missed putts. Sigh.....Today has to be better, right? Hello? Even if it isn't, I WILL NOT act like a spoiled brat and throw a fit! I will just laugh.....or cry softly.

Well....can't wait to hear about the coffee dates today Jaz! We old married women must live vicariously thru you!

Off I go.....more coffee and then chasing that little white ball around.

Last edited by Lori_:) : Mon, Sep-04-17 at 03:19.
Closed Thread