Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 21:49
Registered Member

Plan: Carnivore (M&E)
Stats: 170/119/120 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default www.paleofood.com

I found a lot of helpful recipes here:

www.paleofood.com

I also try one new food a week... like a new fish, vegetable, or fruit. This week I tried blood oranges... wow are they good!

Cheers,

--Elizabeth
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 22:45

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%

I thiught I'd post my locally infamous stone stew

Ingredients
Onions
Garlic (to taste)
Meat (Ground beef seems to work best, otherwise whatever you have that's going to go off soon, chop small for preference)
Any veg to hand, no matter how old (as long as they're not rotten), I've even added old salad (eg lettuce and tomatos) and it's worked fine
Tinned tomatos
Salt and pepper
Paprika or chilli (or both) or other condiments (eg worcestershire sauce or mushroom gravy)
Meat stock
Any other spices (to taste)

Fry the meat in cocnut oil or butter until brown, add onions and garlic, salt and pepper.
Add vegetables (except green leaf veg such as spinach and cabbage) and tinned tomatos (if using plum tomatos, bash with a wooden spoon first). Add spices and condiments, and meat stock if required.
Cover and boil hard for 10 minutes or so.
Add leafy veg, add boiling water if necessary (so that contents of pot covered at least half way). Cover again and boil for another 5 mins.
Turn heat right down and leave to stew till everything tender, stir now and then. I usually leave on the hob for at least an hour.
Taste and add extra spices etc if necessary.

Serve.

I'm still experimenting with this, so bear with me. I've been making it for about 20 years and had it down pat, but I've had to exclude my secret ingredient (Gia vegetable puree) cause it contained sugar and I would have originally added a handful of rice and served with bread and butter. It's great for using up old veg, and no dish is the same.

Oh, and the version of the stone soup story I was told as a child involved a man caught by a hungry giant ....

Last edited by alisbabe : Fri, Feb-10-06 at 22:59.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 19:35

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 150/134/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 64%

CURRIED CAULIFLOWER APPLE SOUP

1 small onion, chopped fine
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 large Granny Smith apple
4 cups cauliflower flowerets (about 1 small head)
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup coconut milk

In a 3 1/2- to 4-quart saucepan cook onion, garlic, and curry powder
in butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until onion is softened.

Peel and core apple. Chop apple coarsely and add to curry mixture. Add
cauliflower and broth, and simmer, covered, until cauliflower
is very tender, 20-30 minutes.

In a blender or food processor purée soup in batches until very
smooth, transferring as puréed to another saucepan. Stir in coconut milk and
salt and pepper to taste and heat over moderate heat until hot.
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 05:06

Plan: Home tailored
Stats: 153/149/137 Female 5ft6in
BF:
Progress: 25%

This is something I am devouring at least 4 times a week right now- it's delicious.

Chicken breasts cut into strips (long and skinny like really long fingers) rolled around in paprika, crushed garlic and a meat seasoning which has stuff like cardamon, herbs and sea salt in it. Then just pop some coconut oil in the pan, put on low heat and let chicken pieces cook till done, if u like them crispy turn the heat up, but I am ejoying the tenderness of slow cooked chicken. This goes great with homemade guacamole and pepper, cuc sticks to dip into gucamole.

Really loving my spices, my pot of paprika has been finished within 3 weeks!!!! Any spices you all buy by the bucket load? and chuck on many things??
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 09:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm a rosemary fanatic. Fortunately my neighborhood is landscaped in rosemary so I never run out.
  #66   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 14:15
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Here's a couple of variations on beef tartar that I've tried lately, both using raw fatty chuck roast julienned (sliced accross the grain in two directions for the most tender result). These are just delicious!

a) Minced green onions, coursely chopped cilantro, minced ginger, soy sauce, sesame oil, lemon juice

b) Minced green onions, coursely chopped cilantro, minced garlic (lots!), sea salt, olive oil, vinegar

In both the amount of vinegar or lemon juice is just to give it a small amount of "zing", not to chemically cook the protein as in a ceviche.

Another variation I'd like to try would be similar to one of my favorite sushi pieces, the "spicy tuna hand roll". I would use beef or pork instead of tuna and leave the rice out. It would have a mixture of finely chopped beef, sesame oil, chile sauce (Asian not Mexican), soy sauce, ginger with sesame seeds sprinkled on top, wrapped in a nori cone with some julienned cucumber and/or radish sprout and/or avocado and/or shredded daikon.

Sorry about no measures on the ingredients - I rarely measure when I'm cooking.

Wyv
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Mar-03-06, 16:03
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmafafen
Really loving my spices, my pot of paprika has been finished within 3 weeks!!!! Any spices you all buy by the bucket load? and chuck on many things??
Fresh garlic! Curry spices, cayenne red pepper spices, chili peppers. Use these types of seasonings a lot.

Last edited by PaleoDeano : Fri, Mar-03-06 at 17:27.
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-06, 17:41

Plan: Home tailored
Stats: 153/149/137 Female 5ft6in
BF:
Progress: 25%

Thanks Nancy LC and Paleodeano-
I've got a rosemary bush in the garden- whoop whoop.
Cayenne, chilli, . Now to get creative.

Talking of rosemary my ma taught me to use a good deal when cooking legs of lamb.

-Poke a large knife deep into the flesh of lamb leg and stuff into the holes created- smashed garlic cloves and rosemary sprigs- as much as you can stuff into the meat the better.

Then roast like normal- (really good on barbecue) and there you have heaven on a bone- DELISH!

Also, I once made roast pork stuffed w apricots- cant remember if it included garlic or any herbs- any how, that was also a delightful jig on my tastebuds.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-06, 23:54

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

These sound interesting, will try the pancakes this weekend... Thanks!
  #70   ^
Old Sun, Mar-12-06, 17:30
Experimenter

BF:
Default Paleo Bars

I took AimeJoi's idea and did my own variation. I used raw cashews, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. Roasted them myself. Ground them in the food processor until finely chopped. Then I took an assortment of dried fruits: figs, apricots and wild dried blueberries and chopped up the big ones in the food processor, threw the dried blueberries in whole. Mix nuts with plenty of salt, mixed nuts and fruit, added honey and coconut oil until it looked like it would all hold together when forced to. Oh yes, coconut went in too.

Pressed it into a 13" pan lined with wax paper and put in freezer to harden.

From what I have tasted so far it is sweet, salty and crunchy. Really great tasting!

When it finishes hardening I will cut it into individual servings and wrap and probably freeze.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sun, Mar-12-06 at 18:20.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-06, 16:23
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo*lite
Stats: 185/135/125 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Boiled Tongue

Boiled Tongue- excellent for cold cuts

Wash tongue well. Simmer until tender in seasoned water to cover. (Bay leaf, salt, peppercorns and other seasonings to suit.) Figure it will take about one hour per pound. If the tongue is to be served hot, add quartered onions, carrots and/or cabbage wedges during the last half-hour or so of cooking. When the tongue is tender, lift it out of the broth with tongs and hold it under cold running water until you can handle it. Then peel off the tough skin. Trim off gristle and put the tongue back into the broth to reheat if you are serving it hot.

If you want it for cold cuts, allow the tongue to cool in the broth. This makes it juicier. Then drain well, wrap and chill completely. Slice then to serve.

Serve tongue--hot or cold--with a choice of condiments. A brown sauce made of the cooking broth with drippings is good. Raisin sauce is a classic for tongue. Cold tongue can be served with several kinds of mustard (or mix your own variations, using horseradish, capers, or chopped sour pickle). Horseradish, canberry relish, dill pickles -- all are good accompaniments for tongue, either hot or cold.

Variation: Tongue can be pressure cooked. Place it on a rack in the cooker. Add 2 cups water for a 3-pound tongue and seasonings. Cook 45 minutes at 15 pounds pressure.

This recipe is from one of my favorite cookbooks
COOKING ALASKAN by Alaskans

Enjoy!
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 13:52
Experimenter

BF:

I made this Avocado compound butter and it is just delicious! I might reduce the cumin by 50% next time though, it is pretty strong. Tastes great on hot veggies!
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 14:41
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I made this Avocado compound butter and it is just delicious! I might reduce the cumin by 50% next time though, it is pretty strong. Tastes great on hot veggies!
Does this link work for anyone? I can't get it to work.
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 14:46
Experimenter

BF:

Odd, it works for me. Try it naked: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/rec...6_32236,00.html
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 14:48
Registered Member

Now the first one is working. And this naked one is NOT. Perhaps if I tried it with a sharp stick!