Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 01:08
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default A paleo recipe thread (please contribute)

Just starting a thread which can contain paleo recipes.. all in one thread so we don't have to keep searching.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 06:45

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Okay, this is from the Mercola's Total Healthy cookbook:

It's for a bison chili, but you can use other grass-meats. He calls for ground bison, but I've been using beef cubes from grass fed beef. It's really nice and chunky that way:

1 TBS coconut oil (i was out of cononut oil and used olive oil)
1 3/4 lbs ground bison (but I really recommend the beef cubes
1/2 onion, chopped
2 1/2 cups chopped celery
2 cloves garlic
1 12 oz jar salsa....of course you could make that fresh if you want
1 8 oz can of tomatoes
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp thyme leaves
2 tsp sea salt

First sautee (medium heat) the onion, celery and garlic until onions are translucent about 3 or 4 minutes.Then you add the meat, cumin, thyme, and chili powder. Stir while this cooks for about 5 to 6 minutes. Then dump in the salsa, tomatoes and salt. I also added about a 1/4 cup of mild green chilis. Let this simmer for at least an hour.

I made it for the second time last night, and I let it simmer for almost 2 hours. It was soooo delicious. I added some raw sour cream and it was soooo good.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 18:56

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 322/240/140 Female 5'6''
BF:I have no idea
Progress: 45%

You mean I am supposed to cook? 8)

Marty
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 12:16

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default roasted chicken and veggies

Roasted Chicken with Vegetables:
2 split chicken breasts, bone-in, with skin
assorted veggies (vidalia onions, shallot, carrots, celery, mushrooms, potato, etc)
olive oil
salt and pepper

oil, salt, and pepper the chicken, place it on a rack in a pan, and roast it in a foil tent for an hour at 325
take the chicken out, place the veggies in the pan and hit them with oil, salt, and pepper; place the chicken rack over the pan
put your rack and pan back in the oven, remove the foil, bake for another 30 min
broil for 10 min to get a nice crispy skin

Some of the chicken fat falls down on to the veggies and makes them extra delicious. And the chicken skin is great. YUM!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 12:22

BF:
Default green bean salad of questionable paleo-ness

Green Bean Salad:
bunch of green beans (dunno if these are actually paleo or not, but I figure you can eat them raw so they're ok in my book)
shallot
cherry tomatoes cut in half
sliced almonds (I soak them and dry them using the method in Nourishing Traditions)
salt and pepper
vinaigrette made by whisking olive oil, raspberry balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, and a dab of a good-quality mustard with no nasty ingredients (for emulsification)

boil green beans til tender yet crisp, drain and let dry
add diced shallot, halved tomatoes, almonds, salt and pepper
mix up the vinaigrette and pour over the salad, then toss

This tastes the best if you let it sit overnight in the fridge and let all the flavors hang out and have a party. Also good if you add in some leftover bacon, chicken, or fish.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-05, 12:35

BF:
Default chorizo scrambled eggs

chorizo scrambled eggs:
sliced onion
chorizo with no filler ingredients
eggs
butter
hot sauce
salt and pepper

sautee the onions and chorizo in butter til the chorizo gets crispy around the edges
whisk the eggs and pour them into the pan with the chorizo and onions
scramble softly until the eggs are done how you like them
top with salt, pepper, or hotsauce
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-05, 11:29

Plan: My Own
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default What a GREAT idea!

I was just thinking about this last night: a paleo thread in the recipie section!
But who knew? Someone beat me to it...a recipie thread in the paleo section. This makes more sense than my plan, lol!

Thai Chicken
1 Tablespoon "Thai Kitchen" brand Green Curry Paste (it's paleo!)
equivalent of one can of coconut milk (14oz)
1/2 cup of the liquid left over from lacto-fermentation (I use garlic pickle juice)
1 onion, sliced
4 split chicken breasts/equivalent amount of meat in legs/thighs
coconut fat

Directions: Fry onion slices lightly in coconut oil.
Add green curry paste and coconut milk, stir to disperse green curry paste. Add pickle juice.
Add Chicken, Simmer for 20 minutes, until done.
Enjoy!

Last edited by dasanipure : Fri, Sep-23-05 at 23:52.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-05, 11:34

Plan: My Own
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress: 25%

Vanilla-Coconut Pudding

equivalent of 1/2 can of coconut milk (7oz)
1 egg yolk
honey to taste
vanilla bean
pinch of sea salt

Directions: Boil coconut milk with vanilla bean with as much or as little honey as desired, let cool slightly, add raw egg yolk and a pinch of salt, stirring frequently till slightly thickened.
Refridgerate to set.
If your coconut milk is rich enough, the fat should be enough to set it...the egg just adds the 'custard' feel of pudding, but I've done this without the egg and it's yummy too. That way, you can keep it raw: no need to boil the coconut milk, but then again, if you have no problem eating raw eggs (like most of us), the heat is just to change the texture of the eggs...it's totally optional anyway. Perfect end to Thai meal. Like Thai Chicken (above) and stirfried Thai veggies or Thai Cauliflied Rice.

Last edited by dasanipure : Fri, Sep-23-05 at 11:49.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-05, 18:14

Plan: Neanderthin/Protein Power
Stats: 160/155/138 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

Almond Pancakes

1/2 c ground almonds
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 egg, seperated
a little water, coconut milk, or cream, if needed

Mix the dry ingredients. Add the egg yolk. If it's to thick, add a little water (or whatever) to thin it out till its a thick pancake batter texture. Whip the egg white to soft peaks. Fold the egg whites into the mixture. Cook on an ungreased/lightly greased pan.

Makes enough for one by themselves, or two as a side dish. Whipping the egg white makes them a little lighter, but you can skip that step if you like.

They are extra yummy with lots of butter and a little bit of honey.

batgirl
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-05, 00:33
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default oxtail yumminess

in a roasting pan put some oxtail (they usually come in slices/pieces), some other fatty beef - I don't know what the cut would be called in north america. Here it's soup meat and looks like some short ribs with a ton of extra meet attached in a rectangle shape - chopped celery root, carrots, onions, a little salt, some leek if you like..the veggies are pretty open here.

Bake it until everything is caramelized and brownish. Stir every once in a while to coat the veggies in the fat from the oxtail so that they roast very nicely. When it's finished and the meat is nice and soft, separate it from the bones and serve in a pile.

I've made this and used the extra leftover fat to roast potatoes which were incredible but not very paleo.

Oxtail soup is the same ingredients
-Oxtails+other beef, doesn't have to be fatty
-celery root
-leek
-bay leaves, preferably fresh
-carrots
-parsley, preferably fresh
optional: extra bones/leftover carcases from dinners.. if you have a lot of bones add a tad of vinegar to the soup to help get the good stuff out. You can also add a few dried chilies for bite

I generally leave the veggies whole or in a few large pieces and fish them out later and either toss them or make them into a mash with butter.

Put the ingredients in a pot of cold water. Let it sit for a while and very gently/slowly warm it, keep it to barely a simmer and do it all day - overnight too if you can. Fish out the veggies and either chop and put back in or discard or eat as a mash, separate meat from bone and fat and stick the meat back in the soup. Put some chopped parsley in it and simmer again for a while. Add salt and pepper to taste - depending on the meat you might need a tsp. of boullion powder.. however the flavour REALLY intensifies as you leave this soup to sit in the fridge.

This freezes well and is a good standby meal.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-31-05, 15:38
Autistic Carnivore

Plan: NeanderThin
Stats: 369/244.5/219 Male 70 inches
BF:37.5
Progress: 83%
Post Autistic Chili

Many autists, especially me, have sensitivities to food texture which limit our diet. This recipe for chili preserves the flavor of chili, while leaving the texture free of things like stewed tomatoes, bits of onion or celery, or other things that a "picky eater" would want to pick out before eating.

~ 2.5 pounds beef
2 TBSP garlic powder
2 TBSP dehydrated onions
1 TBSP parsley flakes
1 TBSP crushed red pepper
~ 36 fluid ounces tomato juice
Add chili powder to taste

Mix the spices into the meat. Brown in a large frying pan, careful to break up the meat into small pieces so it doesn't become a gigantic hamburger patty. Drain meat of excess fat (optional), and then cover it with tomato juice. The meat will soak up some of the juice, so be sure to add enough to cover all the meat. Add chili powder until it's "hot 'nuff fer ya."

Last edited by Hybrid : Mon, Oct-31-05 at 17:19. Reason: misquoted tomato juice
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-05, 15:40

Plan: I am a leaf on the wind
Stats: 290/275/195 Male 5.11
BF:a mess of it
Progress: 16%
Default Mexican Chicken Soup

1 med. onion chopped
1 med. carrot chopped
3 stalks celery chopped
1 poblano pepper chopped
garlic 3-6 bulbs chopped fine
1 bunch green onions chopped
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro chopped
Lime cut into wedges
2.5 lbs. chopped chicken meat or use whole chicken thighs with skin on and bone for extra flavor and nutrition (your choice, I like dark meat)
3 bay leaves
1-2 Tbsp mexican seasoning (salt free, I also like to add a touch of fresh cinnamon and a few freshly ground allspice berries)
chili flakes to taste
1 large can chopped tomatoes
about 4 cups or so chicken broth
Sour Cream (optional)
Pepper
Sea Salt

Sweat the onion, garlic, carrot and celery until soft with a dash of sea salt and a handful of pepper flakes. Cook until you smell the hot pepper oil. Add chopped chicken and a little sea salt to season the meat and cook through. (If using whole chicken thighs, pre-brown seperately after having seasoned them with a little salt and pepper, not necessary to cook em through). Add the mexican seasoning, some black pepper, bay leaves, poblano, chicken stock and chopped tomatoes. Cook at a medium simmer covered for about an 45 minutes to an hour. Check seasoning and adjust. Add chopped cilantro and green onion and cook for 15 minutes more. Serve with lime wedges and Sour Cream if your doing dairy.

(Some people don't like cilantro...no sweat, just use some italian parsley in it's place)
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-05, 17:54
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveed
Some people don't like cilantro...no sweat, just use some italian parsley in it's place)
This recipe sounds really yummy! Though I love cilantro, so I'd just throw it in just before serving to get the maximum flavor from it. Thanks for sharing.

Wyv
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-05, 18:25

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%

Paleo Candybars

I didn't measure anything so the amounts I give are a guess and you may have to play with it to get the rigt consistency

3-4 Tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup carob powder or cocoa (optional)
1/2 cups ground nuts (almonds, hazelnuts)
3/4 cups dried shredded coconut
1 Tbsp or more to taste honey

melt honey and oil in a saucepan
add carob and nuts and coconut
form into a square and refrigerate or freeze until hard
cut and eat

you can add just about anything to this like sunflower seeds or sesame seeds or any other kind of crunchy thing or even raisins if you aren't watching your carbs too much.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-05, 03:36
Registered Member

Plan: My own cave
Stats: 145/136/120 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default Coconut Oil Mayo

4 egg yolks
1/2 cup coconut oil (liquid but not warm)

Optional
1 teasp. dijon mustard or lemon juice
salt & pepper
garlic
herbs

I use a stick blender and whizz up the yolks, then add the optional ingred. then pour in the oil (I use deodorised) while whizzing. If the oil is too warm, it will separate, when the mayo cools a bit it will mix together nicely with just a spoon (been there, done that). Makes a thick mayo that does not go hard in the 'fridge'. I find mayo made with olive oil too strong tasting, this one only really tastes of the optional additions.