Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 07:12

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Talking Any one interested in starting a support group in Sweden?

Hi:

I'm an American living in Ystad, Sweden, and I'm finding that lc'ing here is somewhat difficult. Lc'ing doesn't seem very poplar here and when you look for low carb products, you don't find them. So far I've found some sugar free candy ... Yuck!!! And sugar free jam, which is very good. Atkins products and other low carb products are not available here either that I am aware of.

I am posting this thread to see if there were other persons in Sweden interested in forming a support group. It's just a thought! Sorrying it's going to need to be in English if I'm going to continue to participate, because at this point I speak 95% English and maybe 5% Swedish.

Okay, folks, let me know what you think!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-21-02, 11:26
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Lc'ing doesn't seem very poplar here and when you look for low carb products, you don't find them. So far I've found some sugar free candy ... Yuck!!! And sugar free jam, which is very good.

Hi Stardust!

Good on you for wanting to start a support group in Sweden.

If you look through members journals, I think you'll find that very few eat a lot of manufactured low-carb products. Most just stick with the basics - fresh protein and low carb vegetables. It really is all you need to be successful with this WOE! Oh, and drinking your water and asking questions too!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 06:08

Plan: see above
Stats: 132/130/125
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hi,
I would love to start a group. I am just like you trying to find products sold in sweden and it is proving difficult, it not impossible. I can't afford to buy online due to shipping costs and I don't know how to live without chocolate.

any tips you may have are very very welcome
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 14:13

BF:
Talking Hej, Nikki

Wow, I thought there was no another person in Sweden attempting to LC. My SO's family thinks I am nuts for the way I eat, but I am feeling so much better and they can't deny the results.

I have not found any real LC products. I know it's better we eat food as close to nature as possible, but it so hard when your read some of these recipes and want to try them. We need LC products in Sweden.

I have been thinking of a business I could start. I was very active in natural health and had home based business, but so many of the products I had in the US are not available here, so that idea is on hold until things open up. It has crossed my mind about LC or SF products. What about diabetics here ... what do they do for sugar free products? I would like to offer books, food products, education and in time, nutritional supplements for total health. Just thinking ... I have to finish my schooling to learn Swedish before anything else and I am starting my second term the end of this month.

I had read somewhere on this forum about a person from France having the same problem and he was looking into ordering products from the UK. I don't know all that they have available and it's an idea to check into.

So where are you from and are you a native? I have been living here for one year and lc'ing again after the birth of my daughter. I started back again in Jan 2002.

I am so excited to hear from another Swedish resident. Woo hoo! Best of luck to you and if you have questions or want to chat about lc or whatever, drop me a line.

If you dare, you can visit my journal under the *S* and it is named "I am a loser ..."

Ha det så bra!
--Lisa

Last edited by Stardust : Thu, Aug-15-02 at 14:35.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 03:58

Plan: see above
Stats: 132/130/125
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hi Lisa,
it is so much fun to have found someone on LC in Sweden. I haven't actually started the diet yet properly (I am however testing and trying recipies out and so on).

I am half english half swedish and I live in Stockholm. The reason I am considering a low carb diet is not really weight loss (although I would love to lose some of my behind ), my reason for the diet is that I have Candida, i.e. yeast infection and I am not allowed to eat sugar. When I was diagnosed a was given a little pamphlet and told not the eat sugar in any form! I was misserable and so I started researching on my own and found that the LC diet should suit me. The reason I haven't started 100% is that I feel summer is an awful time to start anything life changing (I have to give up fruit and alcohol completly for at least 6 weeks and summer is not the best time to try that out I reckon).

I soooo agree with you that there is a need for LC products in Sweden. You mentioned diabetics but the problem with these products is that they still contain suger, just different types that hit the body's blood stream slower.

Have you tried ordering anything online? Also, do you know any good sites for LC in the UK. I figure it must be cheaper ordering from Europe rather than the US anyway.

Anyways, I need to get back to work but please stay in touch. Also I would love it if you started a business - I would definately be your first customer!!!

Take care // Nikki
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-16-02, 04:27

BF:

Hi Nikki:

I know all about candida ... been there ... done that. It sometimes can take longer. I mostly advised people to plan on at least months to rid the body of the overload of yeast. Also you need to stay away from caffeine. In American we have to stay away from pork, beef, and chicken because they are so loaded with antibiotics. I hope you are using supplements to help rebuild the friendly flora.

It is funny that many people do think sugar free means it won't impact your blood sugar, but it does to some extent and I am aware of that, but Dr. Atkins has sugar free products containing Splenda (tastes great and can be used in baking) as the sweetner and from what he has found, it does not impact the blood sugar levels in a negative way. Also, caffeine affects blood sugar. That makes me feel for diabetic persons thinking they are doing well by drinking coffee with artifical sweetner. They are not doing themselves a favor unless they are using Splenda.

I haven't checked out any sites yet in Europe for lc products. I need to ... it's just that I have been short on time. My daughter keeps me running here and there. Time will be cut shorter yet, as I start school in 10 days.

Well, I am assuming I don't have to ask if you speak Swedish. lol One day I am going make it to Stockholm for a weekend. It looks to be such a beautiful city.

It would really be fun for me to have a little shop to sell lc\sf items, plus grains, breads and such that don't impact blood sugar as bad. Nice little dream to think about.

It's great to meet you and best of luck on controling Candidias Albicans.

--Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 12:25
Registered Member

Plan: The Zone
Stats: 207/200/180 Male 170 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default I'm also swedish

I am also low carbing and living in Swedish. Have lost quite a lot of weight thanks to it. I also gained a lot of weight after having my daughter, but did not understand the reason until I started to read about carbs/sugar and it's impact upon bloodsugar/insulin.

I'm reading all the different recipes around the internet, and it seems that there are some many more products you can buy in other countries. Looked at an online shop in the UK, but first the prices was outrageous and then the additional fregith to that - can't afford it.
What I really would like to have is some sugarfree syrups and desserts - but can't find hardly anything that is sugarefree where I live. It's sugar in almost every food that is not "pure".

There is a Swedish mailing list for low carbing at:
http://www.kanalen.org/kolhydratiker -
if any Swedish speaking people are interested...

Regards

--Maria
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-03, 12:51

BF:
Talking Hi Maria!

Thanks for letting me know there is another person doing LC in Sweden. Whenever I mention LC to anyone, they think I am crazy. They are on the low fat craze and I think look what that did to America.

I use Hermatese (SP) sweetner, but not a lot. I also use FUN saft to drink from time to time and I have used it to make LC jello, since that is not available in Sweden. Maybe you could use that like a flavored syrup. I miss Atkins' syrups.

I also use pork rinds as a filler in meatballs, chips, lc french toast, and as a coating like for fläskschnitzel or other breaded foods. Yummy!

Check out my journal and maybe you can glean some ideas from there.

I am going to check out the link you sent to the site. I am surprized it exhists. It's a good thing.

Lycka till!
--Lisa
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 04:01
Registered Member

BF:
Default Re: Hi Maria!

Quote:
Originally posted by Stardust
I use Hermatese (SP) sweetner, but not a lot. I also use FUN saft to drink from time to time and I have used it to make LC jello, since that is not available in Sweden. Maybe you could use that like a flavored syrup. I miss Atkins' syrups.

I also use pork rinds as a filler in meatballs, chips, lc french toast, and as a coating like for fläskschnitzel or other breaded foods. Yummy!

Thanks for the tip. I had actually not thought about using FUN Light! I will definitely pick up a bottle next time I go shopping.

And pork rinds - do you actually find them in your shop? Or do you ask for them especially? And exactly what shall I order so I get the right item? (I'm sure my local grocery will bring home some, if I ask them to). How do you prepare them? From what I've read - it sounds like a really tasty low carb snack.

I have sort of gotten hooked upon peanuts (and peanut butter) and I try to restrict myself so that peanuts are not going to be my new addiction. I just love them...

Hälsningar

--Maria
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 07:24

BF:
Talking

Hej Maria!

I love your avatar. It makes me think of Midsommar. I can't wait until summer is here again.

Fun saft is a good alternative. If you use very much of it and start to stall, then you will have to take a look at the sweetners affecting your weight loss.

When I have a recipe that calls for bread crumbs or sometimes flour, I just substitute crushed pork rinds in the same amount. I use my blender to crush them pretty fine. For the fläsksnitzel, I beat an egg and added seasoning to that. I dipped the meat in the egg and coated it with the crushed pork rinds. I fried the meat until done. My boyfriend even thought they were pretty good. You can look on this site and other sites for recipes using pork rinds. I found a good one here for french toast and another pizza crust, that I cut up and use like bread sometimes. I am able to purchase the pork rinds at my regular grocer.

Here is the information on the pork rinds:
Brand: Lycka Snacks
Name: Ägte fläskesvär (replace the ä with the Danish AE)
Size: 175 g packet
Address of company: LYCKA SNACKS AB
Holmevej 14
7361 Ejstrupholm
Denmark

I hope these ideas help.

Hälsningar!

Last edited by Stardust : Sun, Feb-09-03 at 07:31.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-14-03, 20:26

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 222/206/135
BF:
Progress: 18%
Talking YES! OH YES!

I am an American living in Sweden and I also thought I was the only low-carber here!!! HEJSAN!!!!

I'm married to a lovely Swedish man and have been living here for 5 years now. I started on Atkins, lost 20 lbs. during Induction and became pregnant with our darling Danibear (Danielle). I did a modified Atkins during the pregnancy and did so well, I had the full approval of my caretakers. For the first time, I didn't have gestational diabetes and only gained a healthy 9 kilos for the whole pregancy (instead of my usual 50 lbs.) Danielle is 15 months now and healthy as an ox!

I've recently been diagnosed with hyperinsulinaemia and started on Protein Power 5 wks ago. I am EXTREMELY resistant to weightloss because of my condition and would love to offer/receive some encouragement.

Niclin13, can you find Dietorelle chocolate where you are? The bars are 75gr and very satisfying. I never eat more than 25gr at a time (approx. 5 carbs), but that is quite enough. If you like to cook a little, I have many chocolate recipes.

Actually, I have all kinds of recipes to offer. I belong to a forum for stepmoms and post a weekly recipe 'column' (extended posts) with LC recipes. Now even the non-LCers are using my recipes and I've been asked to compile a cookbook for sale to site members. Ask me anything-- if I don't have it, I'll find it and if I can't find it, I'll try and create it! Oh, I'm soooooo happy to see other LCers here!

Alyx in Småland

Last edited by SwedenSM : Fri, Feb-14-03 at 20:43.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 10:51

Plan: Making it up as I go.
Stats: 201/191/125 Female 62 inches
BF:100% heehee
Progress: 13%
Cool Hejsan!!!

Hej tjejer!!

I am also in Sweden! I must agree, it is very difficult to find low carb/no sugar products.

I have access to Dietorelle, light and dark chocolate, all of their hard and soft candies. Even Weight Watchers candy, which, I am not sure is sugar free? The only kind of sugar substitute I have found is Aspartame.

Does anyone know if we can get sucralose in Sweden?

I have looking at lowcarbing for almost a year now, and have finally made the decision to go through with it. I don't know how to do induction. I have read the rules. But I am so afraid to make mistakes that I end up not eating at all, which can lead to serious weight gain, as we all know. Cutting out bread and pasta in Sweden is like asking someone to stop breathing. Bulle anyone? EVERYONE HAS BULLAR!!!!

A little about myself, I am 26, from North America, overweight, married (swedish husband), no kids (yet), and my name is Kimberly! I live in Hammarö, right on Vänern!

I would love to know how you girls did induction ... is the Dietorelle chocolate ok to eat during induction?

I am not the type of girl to go out and eat bok choi, fiddle heads and wine vinegar dressings. I am not a gourmet in any way.

Do any of you have a sample "Swedish" menu for induction?

Good idea to start a little club! I'm in!

Vi ses!

Kimberly
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-03, 15:21

Plan: general LC (+ gbp)
Stats: 218.3/150/130 Female 158 cm
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hej Kimberly and everybody else!

Sorry, can't help you with your questions. I just don't eat or drink anything sugary - no real sugar, no sugar substitute - as they only make me want the real thing anyway. It was extremely difficult the first week, but now I don't have to watch myself so closely. I used to be a chocoholic and it's wonderful to be free!
Good luck to you! And don't be afraid to eat!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 16:00
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbinCopy

Does anyone know if we can get sucralose in Sweden?

I have looking at lowcarbing for almost a year now, and have finally made the decision to go through with it. I don't know how to do induction. I have read the rules. But I am so afraid to make mistakes that I end up not eating at all, which can lead to serious weight gain, as we all know. Cutting out bread and pasta in Sweden is like asking someone to stop breathing. Bulle anyone? EVERYONE HAS BULLAR!!!!

I would love to know how you girls did induction ... is the Dietorelle chocolate ok to eat during induction?

Hejsan!

I do not think it is possible to get sucraclose in Sweden unless you import it yourself.

And I agree with the difficulties to eat low carb here: It seems almost like some sort of crime not wanting to have potatoes, pasta or "kakor och bullar"! I am so tired of ordering food in restaurants and even more tired when we stop for a snack during our trips: All you can get is white bread with a tiny piece of cheese or prepacked sweets. I always keep a packet of nuts in my bags.

The Dietorelle chocolate contains sugar alcohols and I should be very careful with it during induction. Some people can handle it, other have to count even the sugar alcohol carbs as full carbs. And you ma7y get gassy. I have the dark Dietorelle chocolate without problems (2 g of carbs after dedecution of sugar alcohols) but the milky one makes me gassy and gives me cravings (suppose it is because it contains less chocolate and more sugar alcohols/gram).

Lycka till!

Regards

--Maria - native and genuinely Swedish!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 01:09

BF:

Hi everyone! It's great to see more people from Sweden lcing.

CarbinCopy, you don't have to fix fancy meals. You can keep is simple with real food. Try having grilled meat or fried meat with a side of steamed veggies and butter or salad with real dressing. I have my mom send me packets of Ranch dressing from the States. Yummy! You should check out the journals of those of us living in Sweden to see what we eat. You are welcome to pop by mine anytime.

I can only eat very little of the Dietorelle or I am in the bathroom for hours. I have stopped eating it, because I cannot stop with just a little bit.

Best of luck to you!
§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§
Hi Maria!

Nice to see you around! I have not been active in the other group. I read the emails and some I understand just fine and others are totally beyond my capablity in Swedish. With a two year old at home, I don't have much time to myself, so I don't have time to look up many words. I am starting Svenska A this coming term and maybe I will be understanding more soon.

You are making such wonderful progress! Congrats!

Vi hörs!