Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 13:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/240/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Ugh. I'm such a dolt!

I started the WOE several weeks ago and I was a little (ok more than a little) disappointed because the weight was coming off kinda slow. I've only lost 11 pounds so far.

I know this program works so I figured it was something I was doing wrong. I'm not a big water drinker so I thought maybe that was my problem. I started forcing down more water and I think that's what got the last two pounds off. So, that was cool. But, there was still something wrong. Everyone else seemd to be moving so well, and I was still a sluggard.

I double checked EVERYTHING that I was eating and I found something scary. I was taking something called "Fiber Therapy" every couple nights to keep things "running well". It's marked Sugar Free on the can and that was as far as I looked when I first bought it. Well, in looking deeper in the ingredients, I saw it had something called Maltodextrin. This didn't sound good. I looked up the word on the internet and it sounds like this is used by people who work out for some extra energy and it's PURE CARBOHYDRATE! Oh, no!!! I didn't want to believe it. I had been totally messing up and feeding myself I don't know how many extra carbs for nothing! I'm so bummed. I feel so dumb because I *know* I need to carefully read labels and I was totally fooled by the packaging.

It's not all bad, though. I am really thankful I figured this out and I can now see how this program will really work on me. AND it got me to drink more water, so that is a good thing.

Just another reminder to read all the labels!!

Thanks for letting me get this out. I wanted to kick myself after I found this out as I've been working on the program so hard and was getting frustrated... Wish me luck with this WOE!

My love and support to everyone.
Rose
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 13:25

Stats: 341/284.0/210 Male 72
BF:Unknown/32.5/17
Progress: 44%

Dont beat yourself up about it just learn from the mistakes you make and let them make you better. I have found that recently I have been getting "LAX" in my WOE and I have slowed down tremendously, I have resolved myself to the fact that it is my fault and I have to be more strict. If you ever need help or anything just stop by my journal I read it daily!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 13:36

Plan: ALKALINE!
Stats: 247/220/155 Female 64 inches
BF:20-22/20/10
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally Posted by *rosebud*
Maltodextrin....

Thanks for letting me get this out. I wanted to kick myself after I found this out as I've been working on the program so hard and was getting frustrated... Wish me luck with this WOE!

maltodextrin - yep, i've read up on it too, scary, huh?

don't kick yourself -you are doing great and becoming more aware of how to live your life this way.....

you dont' need luck, you just need encouragement as you go for persistance
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 13:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 244/207/154 Female 163 cm
BF:43%/38%/27%
Progress: 41%

Good you found it....I had the same problem with my water believe it or not.
Im not a water drinker, and whe i started the low carb way, I went and bought my water that has a twist of lime in it. Never looked at the back nutrition. It was WATER as far as I was concerned. Well, I also started to stall. One day I was drinking it , and happened to glance at it. 32 carbs!!!!!! Unreal.
Never again, I look closely now about what I put in my mouth, If I dont know the carb content< i dont eat or DRINK it anymore
And really, well done on your loss, I think your doing great!

HUGs
Fiona
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 15:26

Stats: 184/140/125 Female 5 ft 1 in
BF:41%/33.2%/20
Progress: 75%

That is awesome that you thought to check...Keep on! 11 pounds is great~
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 15:43

Stats: 260/240/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 15%

Thanks everybody! I'm really looking forward to the next few days to see how I do now!

This whole thing was funny because I was so CONFUSED as to what I could be doing wrong! Ha!

Oh, by the way, I am hooked on FitDay.com. It's a great site and I'm actually on there and using it daily. Helps me see how well I'm keeping under my 20 carb limit.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 16:25

Plan: Atkins/keto
Stats: 246/237.6/118 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 7%
Smile

I think most of us have made some kind of mistake like that, but at least you figured it out , so that is good !!! I bet you see much better progress now !!! Stephie
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-14-05, 16:59

Plan: a revised atkins plan
Stats: 258/-/149 Female five feet three inches
BF:
Progress:

it is so cool to read how others have made their mistakes. it sooooooooo helps me not to make them it is liek having the big brother and sister to make all the mistakes fo you so you can watch and not make them and then be called the good child by mom and dad. LOL
The only true mistake is not to learn from them.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-05, 01:19
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Well, in looking deeper in the ingredients, I saw it had something called Maltodextrin. This didn't sound good. I looked up the word on the internet and it sounds like this is used by people who work out for some extra energy and it's PURE CARBOHYDRATE! Oh, no!!!

Ewwwww! That's why I gave up my favourite peanut butter and go natural now - it was low fat so 63% peanuts and 36% maltodextrin!!! And the other percent other additives. Sad but true - humans go for taste over quality and that's what food manufacturers go for.

e
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-05, 06:31

Plan: Home tailored
Stats: 153/149/137 Female 5ft6in
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
I Maltodextrin. I looked up the word on the internet and it sounds like this is used by people who work out for some extra energy and it's PURE CARBOHYDRATE! Oh, no!!!

OH NO INDEED!
Just spent money on sugar free jelly which lists maltodextrin- oh man!!!! What a waste of money

Thanks for posting that- I didn't realise it was such a big issue for us l/c's. U have to be so careful with these artifical sweeteners. I swear I'm not making ne more sweet stuff or eating ne more sweet stuff till I'm near goal- it's way too dangerous for my sweet tooth! I will have to finish my jelly and cream mix in the fridge 1st though

Good luck Rose- I hope u have found the root of the cause and are steaming ahead- well done so far!!!!!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-15-05, 13:58

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Please note that due to the inclusion of maltodextrin in Splenda Granular, a cup of Splenda Granular has 96 calories and 24 grams of carbohydrates compared to the 770 calories and 192 grams of carbohydrates found in a cup of sugar. Splenda Packets contain both dextrose and maltodextrin. Though Splenda is still siginificantly lower in carbohydrates than sucrose (sugar), it is not a zero carbohydrate product. Use sparingly with a low carb diet. If you would like to let the manufacturer of Splenda, McNeil Specialty Products Company, know your opinion about their use of maltodextrin and dextrose in their Splenda products, contact them at 1-800-777-5363.

Relax-The maltodextrin in your fiber supp is probably no more then in a packet of splenda. You need the fiber more then you need to worry about a single carb or two in your supplements.
Make sure you take the fiber at a different time of day then your multivitamins.