Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 14:48
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 204/155/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Nat is my Hero!!!

Wow! I sure do wish I could get motivated enough to start exercising. Even walking would be a great help. I don't think bowling is actually excercise, however....it's better than being a couch potato!!!!
Had a fairly good week myself, lost a little in the inches area, and that same 3 lbs. AGAIN!
It's the lifestyle which acheives results! That's the important thing.
Keep up the great work Sue!
Thanks for all the great info everyone!!!
Murp
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Feb-17-02, 03:18
Registered Member

Plan: None right now
Stats: 150/144/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Arrow Things To Consider If You Continue To Have Difficulties...

Hi! I've done Atkins several times, except for the first time when I reached goal very quickly (didn't have much to lose) I kept falling off the wagon. Since then, I've learned a great deal about LC, the female body, and nutrition, in fact I plan to formally study nutrition very soon.

I hope your health is GOOD. By that I mean that you are not experiencing any symptoms that could indicate a problem that could interfere with your metabolism. A very common yet misdiagnosed problem would be a slight imbalance in female, pituitary, adrenal or thyroid hormones. Candida overgrowth causes intolerable cravings and slows metabolism. Another is simple malnutrition brought about by something as simple as favoring one type of foods over others (ie. carbs...) thus creating an imbalance, and so on.

A couple of questions came to mind since you mentioned you recently had a child: are you on b/c pills? During your pregnancy or after delivery, did you experience any problems of any kind? In fact, if you take any type of medication regularly, even some OTC, they could interfere with weight loss.

Also, you mentioned being "addicted" to PB&J sandwiches. I still love PB, and at one time used to eat it directly from the jar, also mixed with juice-sweetened spread. I found that usually signifies low serotonin which causes cravings for carbs. The craving for PB usually means lack of magnesium and vit. B6 which, incidentally, are used to make serotonin. The sugar in the jelly causes production of insulin which is also necessary to make serotonin. The fact that you tried going on Induction many times and your cravings sabotagged you is to me an indication that your serotonin levels may be low. Did you by any chance experience any degree of post-partum depression or have you ever been depressed? Watch out now for any negative change in your mood or your sleep pattern as an indication.

I hope this helps. Best wishes,
Raquel
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 17:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/192/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Raquel thanks for the info. If my body is low in serotonin is there any vitamins I can take? I currently take no multi-vitamins or supplements. I just started taking B/C pills just a few days ago, I had a scare this month and I want to prevent any furutre ones (for now).

As far as my pregnancy...my only problem was my huge wait gain. Mind you my little guy weighed over 9 lbs. (delivered C-section). But 100lbs is still not justified. Depression? Yes. Not too bad but I wasn't able to breastfeed and the nurses made me feel as though I was unfit to be a mom. My doctor however was excellent and assured me my baby would do just fine on formula.
The baby blues are now gone.

By the way I started BFL 02/18. So far I'm sore but liking it. However I don't have enough dumbells. Need to either join a gym or go out and buy more.

Murpel, check out the website bodyforlifediaries.com. A young girl named Jennifier started body for life last year, Jan 01 and her transformation is amazing. She was about 200lbs....she moviated me get my butt out there.

Murpel, congratulations on your inches lost.

Sue
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 22:43
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 204/155/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Sue

Congrats on starting BFL.
Not being an expert, nor having any more knowledge than the next first time LC'er, I am a firm believer in the suppliments. I had a problem early on with cramps. I'd get hellashious cramps in the front of my shins at night. Bugars would wake me screaming. I added potassium and E to my regiem. Also, acidophilus to help with the lack of yogurt, or any way to add it to my diet otherwise. I haven't had many problems health wise since being LC.
There are so many journals to read, perhaps you can gleen some great info from Nat or one of the others in their journals.
I also have found that by drinking water when I crave, it starts a cycle of craving water, not carbs.
Keep up the good work,
Keep drinking that water.
Murp
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 23:50

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally posted by susanna
If my body is low in serotonin is there any vitamins I can take?

Hi there Sussana....

Congratulations on starting BFL! I love it and I think you will too once you get into the swing. One of the best things about exercising is that it will stimulate the good brain chemicals...serotonin being one.

St. Johns's Wort is recommended for depression. I know several people who have had good success with it; one a nurse and one a doctor. You might want to try it.

Marlaine
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 11:34
Registered Member

Plan: None right now
Stats: 150/144/130 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 30%
Post RE: LOW SEROTONIN

Sorry for the delay, I tried to post my reply twice the other day and each time it said I had to log in and after I did my message was gone! I think that happened b/c I was accessing the forums from a hotmail window...

Now, to answer your question about nutrients that boost serotonin, these are: the amino acid tryptophan (or its by-product 5-HTP), B-complex (especially B6), magnesium, calcium, and good oils rich in essential fatty acids (ie. flaxseed, evening primrose, borage, fish liver oils).

You probably gained so much weight b/c of high insulin in your body, that also accounts for the size of your baby.

And about the Dr. that told you to exercise for 2 hrs., he doesn't know what he's talking about! Too much strenous exercise will lower the active form of thyroid hormone, therefore, reducing our metabolism, who needs that! That's why some people get addicted to exercise, they find that if they stop or slow down they'll gain weight as now they have to burn more calories to just hold off weight gain.

Re. St. Johns Wort: It's not a good idea for anyone taking b/c pills, for info please read this article: http://www.usatoday.com/life/health...ve/lhalt010.htm

Last edited by Raquel : Tue, Feb-26-02 at 11:40.