Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-17-05, 22:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 140/120/115 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default extra chewing gum

has anybody had any problems eating 'extra' chewing gum? the label has it as 0 carbs
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-05, 22:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/198/121.2 Female 5"1
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm eating it as well. I just get a bit hungry (I guess it's natural with all chewing gums).
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 00:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:
Default Chewing Gum

Hi, Just thought I'd mention that I used to chew gum, but have since read that its not a good idea as chewing stimulates your stomach to think it is getting some food and starts your pancreas releasing more insulin, which in turn lays down more fat.........can't win can we?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-05, 22:17
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 176/162.8/120 Female 164 cm
BF:
Progress: 24%

all that chewing's good exercise for your face lol
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-05, 03:33
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieMac54
Hi, Just thought I'd mention that I used to chew gum, but have since read that its not a good idea as chewing stimulates your stomach to think it is getting some food and starts your pancreas releasing more insulin, which in turn lays down more fat.........can't win can we?

Really? Anyone know where I can get some info on this? I've never heard of it before.

e
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-05, 04:34
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

I have eaten gum since the word go, and I haven't had a problem with it, as long as you're not eating 3 packs a day I think you should be fine
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-03-05, 05:54
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hey foxgluvs,

I've noticed you've changed from Atkins to South Beach, just interested in what made you make such a change? (curiousity killed the cat I know )

e
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-05, 21:04

BF:
Progress:

Re Chewing Gum. If it works for you fine, but I find it always makes me hungrier. I have been going to Sureslim here in Australia and they prohibit Chewing Gum. Sureslim is a locarb WOL and they have very strict rules. One of which is not chewing gum. A lot of what I've been reading lately about Syndrome X and insulin resistance also makes the claim that just thinking about food can stimulate our bodies into producing insulin and that even drinking diet soda or anything that contains a lo cal sugar substitute can make us produce insulin because it just tastes sweet. Those of us who have high insulin and hyperinsulinemia have very big problems with our sugar addicted bodies - the mind can play some wonderful tricks - wish mine wouldn't believe itself so much....LOL
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-04-05, 23:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

Anne stop thinking about food! Remember the insulin :P he he
(Just kidding)

But seriously if you don't mind disclosing what kind of costs are involved with sureslim ?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 06:53

BF:
Progress:

Sureslim was quite expensive and they have since changed their costings to allow for weekly payments - but it cost me over $700 and quite truthfully I didn't have much success. I know some people that it has worked for, but I had already been eating very low carb for some time before starting it. My doctor said that it was still too high in carbs for my high carb sensitivity. They also don't like you to be exercising - muscle weighs more than fat!!!!! Somehow that didn't really make much sense to me, but to others that may be appealing!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-05-05, 17:36

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsheets
Really? Anyone know where I can get some info on this? I've never heard of it before.

http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn2039

Chewing gum can improve memory, say UK psychologists. They found that people who chewed throughout tests of both long-term and short-term memory produced significantly better scores than people who did not. But gum-chewing did not boost memory-linked reaction times, used as a measure of attention.

"These results provide the first evidence that chewing gum can improve long-term and working memory," says Andrew Scholey of the University of Northumbria in Newcastle, UK. "There are a number of potential explanations - but they are all very speculative."

One third of the 75 adults tested chewed gum during the 20-minute battery of memory and attention tests. One third mimicked chewing movements, and the remainder did not chew.

The gum-chewers' scores were 24 per cent higher than the controls' on tests of immediate word recall, and 36 per cent higher on tests of delayed word recall. They were also more accurate on tests of spatial working memory.

"The findings are intriguing, although it is clear that questions remain to be addressed," says Kim Graham of the Medical Research Council's Cognition and Brain Sciences Unit in Cambridge, UK. "In particular: what is the mechanism by which chewing improves memory?"

Chewing it over
There are three main potential explanations, says Scholey. In March 2000, Japanese researchers showed that brain activity in the hippocampus, an area important for memory, increases while people chew - but it is not clear why.

Recent research has also found that insulin receptors in the hippocampus may be involved in memory. "Insulin mops up glucose in the bloodstream and chewing causes the release of insulin, because the body is expecting food. If insulin receptors in the brain are involved in memory, we may have an insulin-mediated mechanism explaining our findings - but that is very, very speculative," Scholey says.

But there could be a simpler answer. "One interesting thing we saw in our study was that chewing increased heart rate. Anything that improves delivery of things like oxygen in the brain, such as an increased heart rate, is a potential cognitive enhancer to some degree," he says.

But a thorough explanation for the findings will have to account for why some aspects of memory improved but others did not, Graham says. She points out that gum-chewers' ability to quickly decide whether complex images matched images they had previously been shown was no better than the controls'.

Scholey presented his research at the annual meeting of the British Psychological Society in Blackpool, Lancashire, UK.