Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-14, 06:42

Plan: keto ancestral/IF
Stats: 330/189/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I have celiac disease and a milk allergy. Janet is right - in most places I've ever eaten, when I tell them that gluten and milk are allergies, they are all over it. The last place I ate in a restaurant (something we do very seldom because of my food allergies), the manager heard allergy, headed over to the table, and even asked about food preparation. They wound up cooking me a ground beef patty in a new frying pan with new utensils - and I didn't get contaminated, so it was good.

That being said, when we travel I take as much of my own food as possible. I've pre-made a lot of food ahead of time and put it in my freezer for just such occasions. I pack a big cooler and take it with me. That way, all I need is a microwave and I'm grand. I also take really easy to package foods - like hard-boiled eggs, cut up veggies, and salad fixings. Thus far, I've managed to do really well when traveling. Occasionally I brave a restaurant - but I tend to go during their less busy times so I can talk with the staff, and if it sounds like they can't avoid cross contaminating me with gluten, I just don't order anything. Plus, for the inconvenience of having to bend over backwards to feed me, I always leave a pretty big tip.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-14, 12:20
Registered Member

Plan: Wheat Belly / Atkins
Stats: 198/187/165 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 33%

Morning, well the vege offering at marae has increased heaps, so thats a relief. I still been eating my salads but hav compromised a bit - 1 t pesto, 1 t mayo. Not sure if it ok to hav camembert but had a bit of that yesterday. Also had a bit of ham and 1 piece of bacon - so apart from that hav just kept with protein n veges...

Impressed with u dealing with chickens urself. Really, thats th way it should be. It wasnt until we had our 3rd beast done that i decided to stay at farm and watch. They hav qualified homekill guys with refrigerated trucks. U leave the chosen one with a mate, so they r not stressed just think its another day at home, n then its ova really quickly. 1 of our goals has been that we would hav them despatched that way rather than, on a truck for hours, food withheld, then lined up, knowing whats going to happen.

Anyway, feeling a bit tired n grumpy, with interrupted sleep - so i wondering if really been a bit resentful around my eating. Relieved that i havent had any urges to join in eating rolls, bread, crackers, cake or puddings. One of kids was talking about chocolates and i do hav a bit of a twinge but actually i feel relieved that i not looking around for opportunities to eat, which is still a too fresh memory!

I was tempted to hav 1 of those pellet type chewing gum pieces, someone left a packet in my car... Anyway i will get rid of that today. Well i betta go n make a 2nd salad for my meals today
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-14, 09:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Listened to an interesting blog post about why Primal/paleo is popular in Aust/NZ ..and another symposium.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=463012

Hope you are feeling better and embracing a grain-free life.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-14, 20:53
Registered Member

BF:

Bit of a catch up:

Thanks NoWhammies - sorry must have missed your post. Funny - I don't have a formal diagnosis for celiac or any other allergies, so this is "voluntary" for me.
Funny too - had a Conference dinner - it was hardest to go without the cheesecake,,, but I knew that I really couldn't have any - after getting them to give me dinner without mashed potato and gravy

Well, was overtired and angry and marched into my friend's empty motel room - lent to me for my last night.... thank goodness, so I could sleep - what did I find, half a bag of potato chips and my favourite - half a bottle of sweet bubbly wine.

So, I tipped the remainder in a wine glass - took a gulp, then went outside (about midnight I arrived) and tipped out the potato chips on the grass (whoops can't quite trust that I would leave the packet alone once placed in room's rubbish bin), then took a 2nd look at the wine glass and biffed that out.

So, was pleased with my "away time" adventures, overall. Bit weird when I got home I noticed that it looked as though I put on 1kg approx over 2 days, once I arrived home again..... may have been the wine? or menstrual cycle? as I have been keeping to the good basics.

Funny - didn't really bother me too much, although I started writing down what I was eating... seems to have returned back to same weight today - so must be fluid or something.
Anyway, not too bothered as I figured out that I really do like this kind of eating plan - it feels really good overall.

Picked up hard copy books of Wheat Belly and WB recipe book and I got a book out on all kinds of foods, and have ordered additive books - I use my local library a lot.... but plan to buy the WB cookbook.

Also, bought a food processor yesterday and "new wheat free ingredients" for recipes, so I have a few more "good basics" on hand.... I have NOT cleaned out all flour etc, from my cupboards YET..... so still in transition, in terms of the rest of the family and recipes.

Read through that link Jenny - and yes, am registered to go - he speaks at the same time.. but it's great that I've now - liked the FB page and ensured am signed up for emails etc....

Just wondering about LC and wheat free - for breastfeeding mothers??? My daughter's got PCOS and is b/f her 7 week old bubs, I've invited her to the Nov 13 event but wondering if I'm best to just suggest wheat free and have carbs - e.g. rice and potato....

Last edited by michele.c : Mon, Nov-03-14 at 20:58.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-14, 05:14

Well past giving advice on that, but look back through threads on on this pregnancy sub-forum. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=95

I can tell you in the Paleo world, a grain and sugar free diet during pregnancy and after is common, with added rice and sweet potato if needed. Chris Kresser is a great resource on that.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-14, 09:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I had to look it up. Apparently a Lifestyle block is what we'd call a hobby farm.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-14, 23:31
Registered Member

BF:

Hi everyone! Well been going through and writing down a lot of WB recipes from the book and the internet, tried out the cookies - which have grown on me!

I did have a "slip" about 1 week ago, had a bit of a crust from homemade apple pie, ate some dates... apart from that been staying on track.

Seem to be having trouble with consistently losing weight, but anyway, am experimenting a bit with amount of protein/ fat.... still feels like a good way to eat - even though I'm not getting the results on the scales that I would most prefer!

My daughter doesn't want to do any weight loss stuff till about a year after bubs.... but she's pretty balanced, so that's good
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-14, 00:35

Plan: hflc
Stats: 166/157/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 22%

welcome michele! These boards are the best! Have a wonderful HFLC weekend!
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-14, 15:49
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Jamackarch, thanks for the welcome... Your signature of weight patterns has reminded me of my own, very up and down weight journey. Am still losing - currently 174 pounds - I think!

I have fit bit scales, which give %fat etc and update to FB app, graphs my progress etc..... but am unsure about what to do with them. Maybe my bathroom floor is damaged or something - causing error readings, of weight going up and down. Usually, I see trends, but sometimes I'll see "sudden" weight gain or loss.

Anyway, today - I'll take the win - and let the numbers go. I suspect that I may be thinking that once I get to xyz number - then I'm a: cured! b: can go back to eating anything I want!

Sigh, I do feel overall healthier and relieved to feel less compulsion around food and overeating - and really that's the best benefit for me and my health.... and hopefully a good numbers trend over time!

BTW, just made a lc (zero wheat) cheesecake. Looks good - not even feeling tempted to eat it, more curious to see if me and the family will like it! lol

For some reason I'm really not keen on "coconut oil" so I'm pleased to see that for WB recipes I can use butter instead.... internet is so handy - like I never use buttermilk - so good to know I can use yoghurt and milk etc.... so I've been writing out recipes for later use - using pinterest and my old school exercise book.

Last edited by michele.c : Mon, Nov-17-14 at 16:08.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-14, 04:56

Up and down on a scale is perfectly normal as we all have about a four pound "gray" zone of water weight that changes for no reason. I weigh daily but only looked at the seven day rolling average, or now check that I am in that "zone" and not above. Have you read "Why the Scales can Lie?" In the Best Of forum below...it explains Weight loss well. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...078#post8939078
You answered my question to you from your other thread...you ARE feeling healthier and that is the goal, not a number on the scale. You might want to start reading the Maintainers thread. There is a long standing post of articles from the Refuse to Regain website. Her most recent post is a good example of her writing. http://www.refusetoregain.com. I can add that maintaining is also easier if you eat NO wheat to set off those opiate cravings Dr. Davis talks about.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-14, 22:23
Registered Member

BF:

Great, thanks for those links Janet. really like the scales "article" and the Barbara Berkeley link - I subscribed to her on youtube, but I noticed that my library..... must be a bit backward, as she doesn't come up just yet!!

I was brave today and moved my scales around..... am guessing that where they were situated the floor under the lino is probably damaged, so I would get a 5kg difference, at times!!!

So, now they are in another corner of the bathroom - and so am back up to the "normalish" number for me..... I have found that weighing daily but looking at the overall trends - monthly/ 3 monthly or whatever is an easier way for me to "live with the numbers" and just take one day at a time, foodwise.

I have been off the wheat but have been struggling with eating quite a lot of lchf.... but still - feels better than eating "rubbish"

I felt tempted to buy some diet coke today.... but I didn't. I have gotten to like a bit of lime juice squeezed into water, so I hope that's okay carb wise.
maybe 1 lime every 2-3 days. It's hot over here, and so cold drinks is something I really like.

Last edited by michele.c : Tue, Nov-18-14 at 23:05.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-14, 04:18

A little lemon or lime juice is fine, also other fruits and veg you might like to make "spa water", e.g. Cucumber, orange slices, berries. Living in the American south now, unsweetened iced tea is always in my fridge. Southerners think it odd because it is not sweet, English friends think it just plain odd to have tea over ice, but it is refreshing anytime, including with meals, with or without the caffiene hit. Many herbal teas taste good over ice too, like the fruity ones, and leftover coffee. Anything on plan, is fair game to be put over ice in summer.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-14, 11:58
Registered Member

BF:

Ahh, very good. Have had herbal teas but never had iced tea. Isn't it bitter?
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-14, 03:32
Registered Member

BF:

Well, I'm feeling a little strange tonight.

On the plus side, I made some WB flaxseed crackers and a WB Walnut Raisin Bread. My husband really liked the crackers and the Raisin bread looks good - just came out of the oven.

Haven't tried the crackers yet... when I read that link on "refuse to regain" I decided to try the tip about not eating after 6pm! Done this 2 nights in a row now, and I must say, I don't think I realised just how much grazing I was doing - lchf - but still - lots!

Anyway, part of my baking is to have a few things "in stock" or in my freezer, so that I have healthy snacks/ treats on hand.

Part of my feeling a little strange - is that I've had such a love/ hate relationship with food for so long, mostly hate - and obsessively sneaky eating of junk foods, while trying to keep fridge, freezers and cupboards healthy!

It's weird to bake stuff and know that I can actually have them - guilt free! Not used to that - usually, I bake and create for others, knowing that I can't really have any! lol