Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 13:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239.5/179.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Question intermittant fasting

I've just read Dr Eades blog on IF, and was wondering if there are any people here doing it. If anyone has links to prior discussions or threads, I'd really love them!

Thanks!!!!
Sueparl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 13:53
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

There is a thread in the General LC forum and I believe a thread in the Buddies, Countdowns & Challenges Forum.

I'm basically doing informal IFing with Atkins. I fast approx 18 hours and eat for approx 6 hours. I break my fast around noon each day, and eat dinner around 6 pm. If I get hungry in between I eat, but usually I don't. I really like it. It meets all my needs:

-I'm not hungry in the AM anyway, so I don't eat
-I like eating bigger meals, so I get to eat 2 bigger meals per day, instead of 3 smaller ones.

Someday, I would like to eat just one large meal a day, but I can't do that right now. I need the emotional release of a lunch. I know it sounds weird, but with 3 little kids, getting to eat to a nice lunch makes me feel better! Maybe when they all get in school, I will strive for 1 large dinner a day.

Anyway, check out those threads.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 14:13

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

I thought and have read that eating 5-6 small meals a day is better in order to help your metabolism. So can someone explain how fasting or only eating 1 large meal a day is better for you? And does fasting work for everyone? I know that I have a problem fasting because I am always hungry and usually eat several small meals a day.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 17:41
Registered Member

Maybe someone can provide the link to that blog. Dr Mike explains it pretty well. It's a well-documented phenomenon, that IF improves all blood levels and overall health, while most of the time reducing weight. No one ever suggests you fast longer than 48 hours, at which point the body will likely begin to access it's on muscle protein.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 17:45

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Here's the link
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/?p=278

the thing that makes SO much sense is how paleolithic humans had to eat. They went quite a long time before meals (no drive thrus, you know) and not much in the way of carbs. Gotta go out, hunt it, kill it, drag it home, prepare it, eat it, then digest.

makes soooo much sense!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 17:58

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Elle, do you drink anything other than water during the fasting time?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 18:11
Happy Loser!

Plan: Atkins food, IF 20/4
Stats: 287/238/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Here is the main IF thread (over 100 pages long!). Drop in, have a read and ask questions, the IFers posting there are both knowlegeable and helpful.

There's also another smaller thread here .

Look forward to seeing you over in the main IF thread
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-07, 19:36
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Elle, do you drink anything other than water during the fasting time?

Nope. Just water, and lots of it! I usually drink 32 - 40 ounces before I break my fast at noon.

That may not seem like much, but for someone who STRUGGLED to drink 8 - 12 ounces a day, it's a tremendous improvement, yes?

I hate the feeling of water AND food in my stomach...it's either one or the other for me. So, once I start eating, I start sipping, and I get another maybe 16 ounces the rest of the day. Still not the "recommended" 64 + ounces, but I'm very comfortable with my water intake now, whereas before I knew I was doing my body a disservice, not drinking enough.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-07, 15:20

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly1
I thought and have read that eating 5-6 small meals a day is better in order to help your metabolism. So can someone explain how fasting or only eating 1 large meal a day is better for you? And does fasting work for everyone? I know that I have a problem fasting because I am always hungry and usually eat several small meals a day.

Way back in the day, when our ancestors had to hunt for food. They did not eat 3 meals a day with in between snacks. You can only stand so much jerky.
They probably never ate more than once a day. No doubt there were times when they ate even less. If you think about what foods they most likely ate, they were able to keep their insulin/glucose levels in tip top shape.

As I considered this I began to conclude that my insulin is much more stable, perhaps even a little lower than what it was when I was just plain old low carbing. Up to a couple of months ago, I was eating atleast 4 full meals a day and a small snack. Although low carb, My eating habits kept me hungry.

It began to occur to me that my digestive system was not completing its job between meals. Perhaps this is what a healthy diet is lacking. By eating before everything had a chance to digest, just might raise insulin levels, cause constipation and other digestive relatied annoyances. I thought about the digestion issue because I noticed that now that I have included IF to my WOE, I have a nice BM within an hour after my first meal of the day...everyday. My tummy area doesn't expand as much towards the end of the day. AND, my waist is measuring 1/2 inch smaller than it did a couple of months ago, and I lost around 8ish lbs since April. In addition, my TOM, so far seems to be about 3 days shorter. This is great since it was lasting for about 6-7 days.

So by allowing my gut to fully digest a day's worth of food, I think that I am improving insulin/glucose stability, bowel function, and female hormonal issues by not eating so often. I make certain that each meal is healthy. All meals have protein, veggies/fruit and fats. An I have had mcuh welcomed results.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 12:12

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:

I can't imagine that ANY one way of eating could be right for everybody. We all have different physiologies.

I know that I personally fare much worse when I try to fast. I end up getting overly hungry and I eat even more later in the day, plus I end up feeling weak and dizzy the entire day, even after I've broken the fast.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 12:16

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

I'm with Ruthla on this...I have generally about 5-6 small meals a day....fasting not a good thing for me...

To each there own!!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 12:42

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Your first meal of the day is breakfast since you're breaking your fast, whether you eat it at 6 a.m. or 6 p.m.. I choose not to eat a morning meal, but I do eat at 12:30 p.m. and around 6:30--7 p.m. and I don't snack. I tried the 24/24 schedule but it gave me headaches. I was never a big breakfast eater anyway, so the 18/6 works for me--and I am losing weight.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 12:50

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandalayVA
Your first meal of the day is breakfast since you're breaking your fast, whether you eat it at 6 a.m. or 6 p.m.. I choose not to eat a morning meal, but I do eat at 12:30 p.m. and around 6:30--7 p.m. and I don't snack. I tried the 24/24 schedule but it gave me headaches. I was never a big breakfast eater anyway, so the 18/6 works for me--and I am losing weight.

That's me, too. I tried the Fast 5 "window"-type IF and didn't like it. I don't like to eat a large amount at a time and I just felt ill from eating that much in a short time. I need to split it into two smaller meals and, since I feel that it is important for your stomach to completely empty between meals, the 7-8 hour "window" works a lot better.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 17:41

Plan: my own
Stats: 278/217/185 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 66%

black57 has it spot on.

in my opinion those of you who are attached to your 5-6 meals a day are addicted to feel good hormones your brain gets from when you are eating something.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-07, 17:54
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
I am always hungry and usually eat several small meals a day.
Have you wondered if that's why you're always hungry?

Its a chicken or egg situation. When you fast the nagging hunger disappears