Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-08, 21:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158.6/143.2/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Need some clarification

I am going to make the switch this week, but before I do I would like to be prepared.

How much fat should I be intaking per day. My height 5' 2" and 143.6 lbs. I have the 30 day book, but awaiting to receive the PPLP book which I know has much more info.

I believe I was told for protein it was 27g per serving and carbs 7-10 g per serving plus snacks.

Are we allowed to eat Jicama, Pomelo and any others that are not listed in the book. I guess as long as we do our math we should be fine. Trying to switch my ind to PP instead of Atkins.

Is coconut milk okay to use instead of heavy cream?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 05:43

Plan: PPLP Intervention
Stats: 206/160/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

Mary, I'm sure the long time PP'ers can help more, and I surely need to re-read the book, but from what I can tell, you don't have to measure fat, you just have to make sure you use "good" oils, and depending on which plan you follow, some don't allow cheese, nuts, dairy, etc. From what I gather, the important thing to track is your protein, followed by your carbs, and whatever fat comes along with that within the plan is okay. I could be wrong, because I probably read the book too fast
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 08:14

BF:

Thanks misschris. At the moment, I have the book titled 30-Day-Low-Carb-Diet-Solution. This is a good book to get you started, but I really need to read the PPLP with the rest of the nitty gritty.

misschris: How is day 2 going for you?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 08:29
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Eat as much fat is you need to feel satiated and to make your foods taste good. There are people who do PP who eat a lot of fat, and that works for them. High fat intake makes me feel ill. In any given week 60 - 65% of my calories come from fats.

You are allowed to eat anything, whether listed in the book or not. You just have to find the correct amounts of those foods to give you 7 - 10g of carbs. Coconut milk is also okay.

The biggest change from Atkins is getting accustomed to remembering that all foods are allowed, often in very small amounts, and that it is up to you to decide what to eat. You have it exactly right -- as long as you do the math it's okay. The other thing, of course, is watching how you feel after eating different carbs. If it makes you crave more carbs in general, or more of that one carb, then you know it is something you need to avoid.

One important carry over from Atkins is eating carbs with protein and/or fat. A snack that is essentially all carbs is really not a good idea.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 20:07

Plan: PPLP Intervention
Stats: 206/160/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

My day? Well, not so good!! This was a bad week to start. I do good in the morning with my protein shakes, I hit my protein amount fine. My lunch was grilled shrimp, a half pound, which was probably okay. My dinner? Ugh. I had Chipotle grill steak with sour cream, cheese guac, lettuce and onions/peppers, I fried up a low carb tortilla for the guac. I also had a few coconut/PB candy discs. I'm still within my carb limit, so I'm not stressing. I think I am just vamping up to really start 100% Sunday.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 21:28

BF:

Sounds like you are on track misschris. Keep it up!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-02-08, 10:42
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moretta
I am going to make the switch this week, but before I do I would like to be prepared.

How much fat should I be intaking per day. My height 5' 2" and 143.6 lbs. I have the 30 day book, but awaiting to receive the PPLP book which I know has much more info.

I believe I was told for protein it was 27g per serving and carbs 7-10 g per serving plus snacks.

Are we allowed to eat Jicama, Pomelo and any others that are not listed in the book. I guess as long as we do our math we should be fine. Trying to switch my ind to PP instead of Atkins.

Is coconut milk okay to use instead of heavy cream?

Thanks.

My interpretation of PP is that you may add healthy fats, in quantities needed to prepare/dress foods and to your taste. No need to "count" fat grams, unless there is a problem with progress later on, then you could take a look at it, but no need to start out counting grams of fat or shooting for a certain amount at the get-go. Just start using healthy fats in ways and amounts that seem appropriate to you and see what happens.

In the 30-Day LC Solution Plan, all foods are acceptable in all phases, up to your daily carb allotment. If any food causes cravings or intestinal discomfort or any other signs of intolerance or trigger, it's best to avoid it.

When you get your book, you can then decide which "level" of PP you want to follow.

Enjoy PP!

Last edited by ElleH : Fri, May-02-08 at 10:52.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-11-08, 19:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Although it's been awhile since I've read the book, I think the Eadses recognize that even though burning fat for fuel has a metabolic advantage, you can't go hog wild on it. You still have to maintain a caloric deficit in order to continue losing weight, especially after the first 50% of your weight loss. Even if you don't pay attention to calories at first, eventually, you have to.

Of course, if you exercise, you get a break, because your caloric expenditure goes up. If you do weight training, your increased muscle volume uses up some more calories, even at rest. But there's a limit.

Once you've settled into a LC routine, take a look at any of the BMR calculators on the web to determine what your caloric intake should be to maintain your weight. About 10% below maintenance intake is all you need to aim for to continue losing weight. Going too low below maintenance intake will signal your body that you're starving, and you probably won't lose weight then.

It's easy to get calories from fat; 2 oz. of pure fat has about 450 calories (9C/g x 25.4 g/oz). Many LC'ers, myself included, get 50-65% of our calories from fat. The difficulty is finding healthy sources of fat. I'm lucky in that many local organic ranchers who sell at farmers' markets will sell their animals fat, which I then render.

Last edited by aj_cohn : Sun, May-11-08 at 20:04.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-13-08, 17:59

Plan: PP / Atkins
Stats: 275/215/170 Female 5'8
BF:too much/26%
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by misschris
My day? Well, not so good!! This was a bad week to start. I do good in the morning with my protein shakes, I hit my protein amount fine. My lunch was grilled shrimp, a half pound, which was probably okay. My dinner? Ugh. I had Chipotle grill steak with sour cream, cheese guac, lettuce and onions/peppers, I fried up a low carb tortilla for the guac. I also had a few coconut/PB candy discs. I'm still within my carb limit, so I'm not stressing. I think I am just vamping up to really start 100% Sunday.

hee I don't know that there is such a thing as a "good week" to start Just jump right on in and do your best.

Yeah the carbs could have been spread out a bit more during the day but your menu looks *great*. Lot's of protein, a good mix of veggies.. and a few treats which is what keeps all of us sane and on the right path.

The thing I love about PP (and it's been said before by others) is that it allows you to make your own choices. Want something that's a bit carby? Fine, just factor it in.. Want to eat high fat? Fine, just factor it in.. the only do's and do not's apart from the protein minumums and carb intervention level maximums are the things that you work out for yourself along your journey..

For example, I started off having a whey protein shake in the mornings until I learned that even if it had adequate protein it didn't stick with me and I was hungry again really soon, so I switched it up. I got bored with eating green veg at every meal, so I made some of my meals based around tomato and red peppers (and even occasionally sweet potato). If I feel like having a decadent day filled with almond flour goodies.. well yum
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-14-08, 08:34

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

If you ate enough protein, and kept your carbs below the minimum, then you're doing it right!

I've personally found that it matters little if I get exactly the right amount of protein at each meal, as long as I get enough protein total throughout the day. Specifically, I find it hard to get lots of protein at breakfast daily, but find it easy to make it up with snacks.

I use tons of coconut milk because I don't tolerate any dairy products besides butter. No specific foods are excluded in the "hedonist" plan. I'm not doing any specific plan (hedonist, purist, etc) but my diet closely resembles the purist plan, as I'm removing all the foods that I personally react to.