Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 13:44

Plan: adkins
Stats: 182/178/135 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default low carb drink recipes

I am curious if anyone can tell me where I can access good free or lowcost drink recipes. I can't use aspartame products and have been using splenda or stevia in coffee and tea. I used to drink diet pepsi and such but it is hard now as regular pop is loaded with carbs.

I don't usually consume alcohol, but I will also be travelling to mexico soon and would like to know if anyone has recommendations about what to order that would be safe and low carb.

Can anyone help? I live in Canada, so if someone knows anything about Canadian products or recipes please respond. Thanks muchly!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 13:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Drinks

Diet Crush has splenda in it and is available at Zehrs and IGA stores, but water is really the best thing to drink and lots of it!

As far as alcohol goes be very careful as it will hit you hard... been there... done that! Liquor doesn't have any carbs {its usually what you put with it that brings the carb count up} but your body will switch over to burning alcohol instead of fat so it will probably impeed your weight loss efforts. Enjoy your trip to Mexico!

Akiwican
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 15:16
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I drink green tea and sometimes scented green tea that is very good chilled as well as other herb teas. Yogurt lassi - yogurt with water and mint is very refreshing. Ginger tea made from steeping grated fresh ginger is great with a squeeze of lime.

Unsweetened Flor de Jamaica - I think that's the way it's spelled - is made from steeped hibiscus blossoms - is quite tasty. You can also get lemon grass tea, chamomile etc. in Mexico.

One of the best dishes for LC in Mexico is carnitas - pork cooked in it's own fat. Lots of places serve excellent grilled chicken and seafood. Seviche is a good option too. Then there are avocados, salsa, jicama...

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 22:25

Plan: adkins
Stats: 182/178/135 Female 5'4 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Thank you for your quick responses Akiwan and Karen. I will follow up on both of your suggestions.

I'm just feeling whiney and snivelly today and bored with water...

I do drink herb tea and coffee most days and I do enjoy something sweet. That part of me I haven't been able to quell.

I am hoping to work out at the gym if I'm feeling better (touch of the flu I think) and I will keep on course as much as I can.
Thanks again.