Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 08:40

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 221/206.6/120 Female 163cms
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Fat girl from London

Hi,
After literally piling on the weight in the last 5 years it is time I got myself in order. I have followed the Atkins 2002 plan with great success before however unfortunately got a bit too confident and slowly but surely the pounds started to pile on.....I have tried low carb sporadically over the past 5 years but been very disheartened when the scale did not reflect the amount of effort I perceived I was putting in - in short I just wasn't motivated enough and in it for the long run.....I have however had enough - I am 220lbs!! The biggest I have EVER been and I am miserable. My confidence is shot, I am literally embarrassed of my weight. The last time I took a photo of myself and posted it to social media was about 4/5 years ago.....I am hoping that I can keep myself motivated enough regardless of the speed I am losing to stay on track and lose the 100lbs I have put on.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 09:22
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

Hi Sun and welcome.
I'm so glad you found your way here. There is such an abundance of support and knowledge you will find it much easier than going it alone.
Many of us have come back to this woe after an absence. First time losing great... then trial and error because of patience levels. Our bodies and hormones change with time.
But we are back and on track!!! Have a fabulous on plan (OP) day.
I'd suggest starting a journal so we can get to know you better
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 10:11

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

You have the right attitude- it's a marathon not a sprint. Just keep following the plan and you will get there- left, right, left, right. And by the time you reach maintenance you will have figured out how to actually maintain, as opposed to gaining it back again.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 17:58

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Hi Sun,

Welcome! You CAN do this. Dr. Michael Eades has several blog posts addressing why losing weight on low-carb the second time around seems so much harder. You might find it helpful to read these...

Why is low-carb harder the second time around? Blog post 1

More thoughts on low-carb the second time around...

Why low carb is harder the second time. Part 2

I think understanding the ways we basically sabotage ourselves without intending to when coming back to low carb for the second or third time can help one to avoid those pitfalls and be successful again. And understanding why low carb - or any diet - IS harder as you get older, even if you're doing everything right also helps because, if nothing else, it forces you to realize that losing the weight will only get harder to do the longer you put off starting.

TODAY IS the best possible day for you to start reclaiming your life and your health. YOU CAN DO THIS! And you'll find tons of helpful information and friends on this forum who'll be cheering you on every step of the way.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 18:10

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I would suggest not thinking of it as a 'marathon' or something you are putting tremendous amount of 'effort' into- these feel like negative conotations. Far easier to have an attitude that you are embarking on a healthy Way of Eating or Way of Life, and take delight in all the really delicious, high fat foods you can indulge in, while simutaneously losing weight and fending off disease!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-17, 05:24

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 221/206.6/120 Female 163cms
BF:
Progress: 14%

Thank you all for your kind welcome and Ci you are right - I think where I've gone wrong is to view this as a diet and a short term change whereas I need to instead put my energy into changing my habits in the long term and for the rest of my life. I must say focusing on it this way has stopped me from counting the days have completed and instead I focus on the awesome food I can consume (I'm a food lover which I don't think will ever change).