Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-11, 20:39

Plan: The Healing Diet
Stats: 210/190/170 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress:
Talking I love interval training

I don't love exercising in general but I do love interval training. I just got done about 5 hrs ago, and I still feel so good that I just had to wright a post about it. It really gets the endorphins flowing.

For anyone who doesn't know, interval training is short bursts of intense exercise combined with a more moderate pace. It's said that 20 minutes of interval training switching between an intense run and a walk burns more calories than a moderate 1 hr jog.

What's great about it is it's flexible. The average recommended time is 20 minutes. But if you're short on time, you can do just 10 minutes and still get a good workout. And if you have 30 minutes plus, you can make it a marathon workout.

If you're in not so good of shape, your intense burst can be a 10 second jog. If you're in great shape, you can adjust it up as much as you want. the most important thing is to get your heart rate up.

Then after your heart's pumping and you're breathing heavy, you take it easy for a minute or so. And it's adaptable to everything from walking/jogging to exercise bikes...to whatever.

Here's what I do. I have a bum knee from work, so I can't do high impact. But I do have lots of hills in my neighborhood. So I walk, then I see one of those nice juicy hills and I go up one either at a brisk walk or a slow jog depending on what the hill looks like.

I get to the top and walk slow until I get my breath back, after a minute, there's the next hill.

Even though at work I am moving all day, it does not compare to a short interval training workout. There's something about getting your heart rate up like that...it just makes you feel good. It kills the brain fog, food cravings, depression. I recommend everybody try it.

Once you force yourself to do it, it becomes very addictive.

Here's a link with some more info http://www.prevention.com/health/fi...00013281eac____
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-11, 12:50

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

I agree. I find it strange... but I also can keep doing it longer than just trying to keep my heart rate up at maximum cardio level for an hour.

I used to get on the machines and get my heart rate up to max and keep burning/sweating for an hour. Now I surge for a bit, then slow down, surge-then slow down.

Last night I checked the stats and according to the machine, I burned the same 450 calories doing intervals than I did when I was going hard the whole time. And I felt great afterwards - not like I had hit the wall (drained).

I read that interval training was better at burning fat than plain cardio.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-11, 21:19

Plan: The Healing Diet
Stats: 210/190/170 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress:

Yeah, it's really funny how it works. I get totally drained from being on my feet at work all day. But if I can make myself start the interval training, I get an energy boost.

It's also great because an "interval" can be just about whatever you want.