Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-29-10, 08:53

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Long distance running without GU?

I've used GU (or CarbBoom) at about the 6 mile & 10 mile points in my half marathons & during my training as I start preparing for the big races. Now that I'm doing Atkins, what do I do? I don't want to sabatoge my weight loss by using these products, but IDK what else to do? Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-29-10, 09:13

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

Why not just try it without and see what happens?

Eat a good meal with lots of fats before you run and maybe have some fatty snacks to eat along the way.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-29-10, 15:50

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I've read that the "second wind" is basically the switch from burning glycogen to burning fat. No glycogen, no switch? Maybe no wall?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-29-10, 16:48

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I only use these types of products when performance is critical (race day). Otherwise, I go without and have on as low as 20g carbs a day which I kept to for a long time. I have run 3 half marathons and many shorter races and this has always worked for me.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-29-10, 17:09

Plan: Atkins Pre-Maintenance
Stats: 215/134.8/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I've read that the "second wind" is basically the switch from burning glycogen to burning fat. No glycogen, no switch? Maybe no wall?

Hmmm that makes sense. I have 0carb electrolyte replacement, so maybe i could replace lost electrolytes without combining with a carb supplement.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-11, 20:38

Plan: TNT
Stats: 159/154/140 Male 68
BF:
Progress:

http://www.vespapower.com/Sport-Supplements_c_1.html

this works in conjuction with a low carb diet. Most Ultra Runners or Long distance cyclist (competitive) that eat low carb use this supplement to keep from having to consume so much gels, carb drinks. For a half marathon, you would just take one before and you should be fine.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 21:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/231/175 Male 72 inches
BF:265/231/175
Progress: 38%

I ran for 15 years. I never used any carb-replacement ever. Never noticed any need. Even when running marathons, only made sure I took in some water. And due to not wanting a lot of water sloshing around in my stomach, I drank very little each time. Most of it went on me -- to cool me down. (Do not try cooling down by dumping gatorade on yourself. )

If you are burning 1000 kcal / hour, you would need 250 grams of sugar to immediately replace it. The calboom has only 25 grams. I doubt you are taking 10 packets per 1 hour race.

Personally, I only thought about taking food while biking -- like 4+ hour road trips. At pack paces or by oneself, you are really burning calories.

Mike
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-11, 13:38

Stats: 265/231/175 Male 72 inches
BF:265/231/175
Progress: 38%

Just stop.

There is really almost no need for the product. More hype than useful.

Think about the idea. If you are attempting to replace all the calories you burn in the run, you really have to consume a huge number of packages. For example -- burning 1000 calories -- 4 calories/gram of sugar -- 250 gram of sugar -->> 10 Carboom packages.

I ran for 15 years -- long distance runner/marathoner. I regularly ran 7-12 mile training runs with 15-18+ mile "fun" runs on the week-ends. I never carried water during training runs. And that included years training in the mid west in summer midday sun, heat and humidity. Really do not never felt any need. I think I de-hydrated once -- 20 mile run in 90+ midday heat, and then only over the last 3 miles. I did get very warm -- but one could not carry that much water if you wanted to.

Generally, I found most of the electrolyte drinks did not sit well especially when racing. Worse yet, they were sticky if spilled on you. (I slowed but never stop for water/hydration) Water -- some to wet mouth, some to wear/cool me -- was the best thing to do.

--- Alternatively one package is your daily limit. Technically the race/training should consume that sugar. The major consequence is you are slowing your progress. 2 or more might knock you out of ketosis, so you may have to go back to induction or stay there for a longer period of time.

As someone who is working out and on Atkins, I really cannot say I have noticed anything different. The first two or three weeks I felt weak -- endurance was down. However, I recovered. Right now ( older, decades off ), I feel better. In principle, your transition to fat consumption, should give you an advantage. You are already ready for the point where you consume all your "easy" glycogen stores and need to transition to other/fat stores.

Mike
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-11, 14:55

Plan: anti candida
Stats: 144/142/130 Female 5'6.5
BF:
Progress:

If you've been eating LC for over 3 or so weeks, your body is getting used to burning fat (fatty acids) for fuel, instead of carbs. I've been on an candida (LC) diet for 3wks now. I biked 40 miles a week ago, no problem. I rode 23mi mtb yesterday with only a TBL of coconut oil first, no coffee! I did fine! We're so used to hearing that you have to have carbs, and most people who bonk are in the beginning phases. I'm training for a 50mi mtb race in 5wks on LC. I already feel better. It's good to make your own electrolyte drink with sea salt, lemon juice or take minerals (slow absorb mag). There's a low sodium mineral drops by traceminerals from www.vitacost that's good. sea salt helps. I wouldn't do gu, cause your body's not used to carbs anymore and that could make you bonk. Everybody is different, hopefully you have some time to adjust and see what works best.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-11, 14:58

Plan: anti candida
Stats: 144/142/130 Female 5'6.5
BF:
Progress:

This is a great article to read, google Steve Phinney on LC and exercise.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-11, 19:54
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 136/129/115 Female 61.5"
BF:26%/22%/21.7%
Progress: 33%

I'm a medium to long distance wilderness kayaker (typical day on a trip runs 15 to 25 miles). Kayaking is more like cycling in that the heart rate is around 125 and the burn lasts hour after hour.

I quit paddling for the past year due to health problems brought on by fueling my body on carby stuff like you mention. Started transitioning to low carb in September 2010, got acclimated to it over the winter, and went very hard core on June 1 this year.

I knew it would take time to train my body to paddle on ketones for fuel and that I needed to go slowly. I just did my first 8-mile day trip a few weeks ago and it was awesome. I ate two pork sausage links and two eggs fried in bacon grease an hour before I left home. Had no hunger whatsoever on the water, and when I got to the takeout, I had no desire to eat anything carby. Last year I couldn't paddle four miles without some kind of carb blast, and when I'd get off the water I'd eat every snack in sight to avoid feeling dizzy.

I didn't eat dinner that evening until two hours after I loaded my boat and drove home. Very pleased with the outcome of this diet - now to test drive it on a 15 mile day.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-11, 15:31

Plan: low carb high fat
Stats: 146/136/120 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress:

this makes me so happy to read, as a beginnning lowcarber who is commencing training for a half marathon I was worried I would have to choose between my running and LC diet.

Going to down some coconut oil before my runs and leave it at that!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-11, 11:09

Stats: 145/120.5/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 70%

This is hugely helpful- I am running two 10ks in october and a 15 k in december, plus a half next spring, so I really need to get it in gear and make sure I'm not relying on chomps to get through it - I don't want all that sugar!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-11, 12:02

Plan: low carb
Stats: 195/174/170 Male 72 inches
BF:22%/15.2%/6 pack!
Progress: 84%

I ran competitively for 30 years (from 15 to 45) and never once used a carb-replacement product like GU however I don't think it would kill you to use it. I think it is just going to be mostly a psychological benefit rather than a physical one though.

I believe GU has like 100 calories so that's about 25 grams of carbs. If you are in the middle of a race you're likely going to burn those off quickly and be back in ketosis before the end of the run, assuming you even leave it at all.

I've been low carbing 6 months now and while I don't distance run much at all anymore I do play a lot of tennis at the 4.0 level, mostly singles, which generally requires a lot of running over a couple of hours time span. Although I initially needed some extra pre-match dextrose to keep me from crashing while playing I do fine now playing without any supplemental carbs as my body has gotten very used to running without them. As always YMMV.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Oct-01-11, 05:58

Stats: 139.5/132/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

I think the whole GU thing can by psychological, too. Plus, so many noncarbers start spouting "science speak" about how you NEEEEEED it on a run. Bull.

I have issues managing heat conditions because of excessive sweating, so I have to watch electrolytes. I bring sugar free electrolyte drinks with me on hot days. If I am going to run more than an hour, my body seems to like a 90/100 calorie high fiber wrap or deli flat (8 or so net carbs) and cheese, about a half hour before my run. Easy on my stomach and not too heavy.

I have seen peanut butter packets at my gym, packaged like Gu packs. Anyone ever try those on a long distance run? I'm thinking you'd have to walk a few steps and drink water of course, but that could be a great low carb boost. I'm a big believer in a psychological boost during tougher long runs LOL!