Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-09-17, 21:31

Plan: keto <50 net carbs
Stats: 183/163/140 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 47%
Cool Back after a long time for health reasons more than weight this time

Hello all! I'm very glad to be back to an incredibly supportive community!

The last time I started a "serious" LC diet I was in college and really wanted to lose my freshman 15. I danced around a lot of diets and was really impressed with the amount of science, support, and good advice I received here. I was not committed. As I said I "bounced around" quite a bit. I did not commit to anything particularly, rather I cherry picked the things out of each diet that I thought that I would like. I experimented with something new every few days. After a few years my physical activity got back to normal, I took the weight off no problem and quickly abandoned my LC lifestyle. That was in 2006 ish.

I've roller-coasted a few times since then, (I'm 5'6", have gone between 125-180, and I feel best at ~145lbs). I've always been able to take weight off pretty easily with exercise and since I'm an athlete that usually hasn't been a problem. But with age, school, work, inactivity, and the mental problems those stressors bring it's been a lot harder these past few years.

I have eliminated added sugars, refined carbohydrates,, and most processed foods (I'm a strict ingredient list reader) and have been feeling a lot better these past few days. I am a nursing student and believe I should set a good example for health and I strongly believe that maintaining stable blood sugar and insulin levels will greatly increase my own health and help me to lose weight, even if it is slowly I'm okay with that. I just want to say out loud to someone that I am making the commitment.

Thanks for listening/reading K8
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-11-17, 08:30
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Welcome back, KB

Sounds like a good plan. I was successful losing weight with LC in my teen and college years, then using exercise to sort of maintain a good weight for several years. I was athletic (football and wrestling) and I jogged a lot in my early 20's. That wasn't enough. I still had to "go on a diet" from time. When I wasn't "dieting" I ate regular carby junk. So I spent 5o I spent 5 or 6 years putting on and taking off the same 15 to 20 pounds. That solution stopped working when I got married and took a desk job. I only wish I would have understood my problem in those days. I needed to make LC a lifestyle. Had I figured it out then, I'd have saved myself 30 years of grief.

You are absolutely right - his is about your health. When you eat healthy, everything else falls into place - including the ability to maintain a healthy weight. Eating low carb does that.

I wish you the best with your nursing degree. We need more nurses like you. My daughter eats low carb. She was recently roasted alive about her diet by a nurse practitioner that she had to see when her regular doctor was not available. Funny thing is, her doctor supports LC and that nurse does not. They are in the same practice. No wonder people are so confused about what constitutes a healthy diet.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 06:03

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Welcome back. Sounds like you're ready to stick with it. As Ken says, we need nurses like you (renegades!) not the ones who react with horror at the idea that a normal, healthy person can stay that way on a low-carbohydrate lifestyle.

Best wishes.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-17, 13:57

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome k8ty
Great to have you back and committed to LC. Our local LC support group at Duke has quite a few nurses and other health care workers in it so the stories of no time to eat anything but vending snacks, plates of cookies brought by grateful family members, and even sadly, the hospital cafeteria can all be challenges in your future. Good time to commit now to a healthy LC way of eating. All the best,