Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-16, 11:17

Plan: none
Stats: 256/237/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress:
Default new member

hello all... I'm a new member and just looking for support and ideas on what to eat.. eating the same thing ever day cause its starting to get old after 2 months.

Shaun
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-16, 12:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi and welcome, Shaun. Feel free to tell us a bit more about yourself and what you've been doing so far. What sort of things are you eating currently? What's your lifestyle like - do you work long hours? Retired? Any particular challenges like feeding children, living far from shopping, etc?

My general advice would be to browse our Kitchen forums or LC cooking blogs, and maybe try some new foods. Try new ethnic flavours. Try new cooking techniques, especially simple things like crock pots or a clamshell grill, and easy-to-cook cuts of meat.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-16, 12:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Shaun
We are happy to help but as Kristine mentioned, we need a few more hints
You don't list a plan or have read a book, so how low carb do you want to eat?
The recipes at this website have tempting photos and note the carb level as strict, moderate, or liberal. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes The Low Carb tab at the same site explains a good basic LC plan if you need one and has meal suggestions of no-recipe foods there too.
For support you can read through threads here, success and milestone stories, start a journal, join a buddy or challenge group, whatever would help you most.
All the best,
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-20-16, 18:52

Plan: none
Stats: 256/237/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Hi and welcome, Shaun. Feel free to tell us a bit more about yourself and what you've been doing so far. What sort of things are you eating currently? What's your lifestyle like - do you work long hours? Retired? Any particular challenges like feeding children, living far from shopping, etc?

My general advice would be to browse our Kitchen forums or LC cooking blogs, and maybe try some new foods. Try new ethnic flavours. Try new cooking techniques, especially simple things like crock pots or a clamshell grill, and easy-to-cook cuts of meat.

thanks for the welcome. So far what i've done is cut all sugary foods except natural fruits. I'm not eating any breads/pasta/rice/beans/potatoes.. anything that carb heavy. This alone was a huge change for me as I usually ate lots of frosted flakes, cakes, cookies, sodas and ice cream and pies.

Currently I'm eating a lot of meats and cheese, with the occasional low carb tortilla (4 net carbs). lots of ground beef, chicken breasts, and bacon and eggs. drinking iced tea and water exclusively. I've just started using a protein powder in the morning (about 5 net carbs and another vitamin/antioxident/mineral drink that is also 5 carbs). When I'm dieing for a sweet snack I'll usually have a atkins bar or orange or mellon etc. I'm not following any specific plan other than trying to keep the carbs low.

i've been eating some different foods but mostly just more meat. at first the weight just flew off.. from 256 down to 240 in about 1.5 -2 weeks. been stuck from 235-240 for about 6 weeks or more. Not really any significant weight loss any more. This whole thing just started as an experiment to please my doctor but the weight loss was encouraging. Starting to feel discouraged because the weight is no longer coming off and the desires for sugars are only getting worse not better.

If you have any more questions let me know!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-16, 04:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

If the cravings for sugar are coming back, you may now be eating over a carb level that keeps hunger at bay for you or the artificial sweeteners in the protein drink/Atkins bar/special drink are triggering sugar cravings. It is easier to count total carbs rather than net and doing so, you may see some carbier foods that have ingredients not helping. Too much cheese can be too calorie dense, and too many sweet fruits, even though natural, might trigger sweet cravings.
You are doing great to have eliminated the junk sugary foods and weight loss slows down for most everyone. My suggestion would be to follow a LC plan for a while, one that has limits on cheese and fruit. The DietDoctor plan linked above is good, and maybe after New Years, try the stricter Two Week Challenge on same site, a plan with no fruit, no nuts, limits on cheese and dairy. Then as you add them back, you may figure out the trouble foods better for you to avoid.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-16, 13:03

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

First thing I'd suggest is ditching the Atkins bars and LC wraps. They stall many people and cause cravings. The labels are misleading and do cause blood sugar spikes for most (and then of course, insulin levels increase).

I second the recommendation to follow a plan, at least at first. Someone on this site compares it to how long would it take you to figure out how to get to a place in a city you had never before without a map? Now, how long would it take with a gps?
Eventually you'd find your way either way, but wouldn't you find it much faster with navigation?

And finally, peruse th ripe forums! They are HUGE and delicious.

Here are a few example ideas:

1. If you ditched the wraps, use a sturdy lettuce leaf like romaine or cabbage to make wraps- you can do anything from a chicken club with mayo, cheese, tomato and bacon to a BLT with avocado to chicken salad......

2. "Crack slaw" recipe is a huge hit on this site. It is very similar to moo shu. You can use pork, beef, chicken, my favorite is with shrimp.

3. Zoodles are spiraling down zucchini. You can use them for chicken Alfredo, marinara and meatballs, shrimp with pesto, etc.....

4. Pizza quiche in recipe forum is wildly popular for good reason! My favorite is to use pepperoni and bell peppers for my toppings

5. Cauli mash makes a great mashed potato substitute. With a baked ham or chicken, this side never gets old.

6. Try new cooking techniques. For example, a lot of people hate Brussels sprouts, until they try them roasted and then love them.....
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-16, 14:12
Memere to 4

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

Can someone tell me where to find the crack slaw recipe?
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-16, 18:44

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

There are tons of recipes for crack slaw. Here is one.

http://www.food.com/recipe/crack-sl...63?photo=308235
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-16, 18:50

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi Shaun. Welcome! I agree with the others. Try dietdoctor.com. You will likely do better even lower carb, at least to start. I started on Atkins, which allows introduction of more carbs gradually. It worked great for me and six months later and 25 pound down, I still don't have much fruit, just an occasional berry or melon. Stick with this site, read and ask questions and you'll do great.