Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 17:10

Plan: Atkins-Phase 2 OWL
Stats: 230/172.2/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Haven't had to deal with this yet...

I am having a huge Easter gathering at my house for neighborhood friends and kids... so I am having everyone tell me what they want to bring etc... and a lady tells me she is bringing a "healthified" brownie made from a recipe using black beans.

Well I would normally ignore this and just look the other way and not have any, no biggie right... but I have heard of some recipes, low carb recipes, that use black beans and was wondering if hers might be one, but instead of asking if it was low carb, I asked if it was sugar free..... well now she has went above and beyond out of her way and found some sugar free brownie mix............... well this is made by pilsbury, and obviously not something I want to have. But now I feel bad, and will feel rude turning one down Saturday at the gathering.

I am tired of explaining, in detail what I do and how I do it (eating low carb). This is a fairly new friend of ours, so she hasn't gotten the whole spill, and we haven't eaten much with her. I mean everything in me wants to say I am not eating that crap! lol... but really... what is the proper etiquette when faced with something like this? I am almost to goal, and could very easily eat one with no ill side effects, but it just goes against everything I believe in... so do I be a good host and eat what my guest is making (for me) or do I stand my ground and look like the stuck up health food-ist that won't eat anyone's food. UGH!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 17:23
4 phases Use them

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 250/250/180 Male 70 Inches
BF:ack/ack/ack
Progress: 0%

You could tell her very gently that right now your diet doesn't include flours, and thank her for thinking of you.

John
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 17:30

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

right, you could just say, thank you so much, you're sure everyone will enjoy them. And later when you have more time you can go into it, but she can just think of it like, you keep kosher- if she knows what that is.

Or before hand you could say, how about some savory meat and veg instead of baked goods. Deviled eggs are great for Easter. Also ham!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 18:02

Plan: Low Carb and IF
Stats: 201/156/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

This happened to me last week. A coworker took me to Subway for lunch and insisted on buying cookies for us. I tried to decline, but she was determined to have treats. She was paying, it was a thoughtful gesture, and like you, I generally don't make my diet a topic of conversation. So I just dropped the issue and she bought the cookies.

After we ate our meals, I said that I was really, really full. I thanked her for lunch and told her that I would save my cookies for later. Later never came, but she didn't know.

I could see this tactic working for you since your friend is bringing dessert. Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 18:02

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

If the gathering is indeed "huge," I'm sure the brownies will disappear without her knowing exactly into whom they disappeared!

Thank her for contributing to the general joy. Some other time, you can give her the details on your diet.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 18:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/178.4/145 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 49%

I honestly would have one....a small one...because I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings. Sometimes I think I need to do something for my "spirit" so if that means getting together with my girls and having a martini...that's what I do...it's not every day or even every week.
I would have a small brownie..but that's just me and I don't like to hurt people's feelings, or make them feel like I am judging their eating habits.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 20:13
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I would recommend adding something LC'ish to the dessert table, and just not saying anything. Thank her for the lovely brownies. You don't have to eat them, and you don't have to make any kind of issue out of the fact that you're not eating them. If necessary, you can even put one on your plate, and just sort of push it around a bit. If you add in something else (ie. - boost the dessert offerings) - then it'll all work out. No one will be the wiser. If you don't do this, and it's just the brownies that your guest has graciously brought, it'll be a little more obvious that you're not eating them.

Throw in your favourite LC dessert and make it all part of the meal, even if it's just a bowlful of fresh berries.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-11, 23:55

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 282/266.2/174 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBeGone5
I honestly would have one....a small one...because I wouldn't want to hurt her feelings. Sometimes I think I need to do something for my "spirit" so if that means getting together with my girls and having a martini...that's what I do...it's not every day or even every week.
I would have a small brownie..but that's just me and I don't like to hurt people's feelings, or make them feel like I am judging their eating habits.

If you had a peanut allergy would you eat peanuts to "not hurt their feelings"? NO! You have the right to protect your body from crap. Be kind and stay away from the dessert table. She will never know and if she asks if you had some, say," I am afraid I should have told you that I am also gluten intolerant and those brownies, even though they are sugar free are loaded with gluten/flours." I hope you understand why I cannot eat them. They look lovely and I am sure others will enjoy them while I cannot."
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 01:02

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
If the gathering is indeed "huge," I'm sure the brownies will disappear without her knowing exactly into whom they disappeared!

Thank her for contributing to the general joy. Some other time, you can give her the details on your diet.

This is really great advice in this situation. If the gathering is large she will never know whether you ate one of her brownies or not.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 05:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/178.4/145 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 49%

KazLaJauna-

You make a very good point.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 07:19

Plan: Primal/CAD
Stats: 198/185/140 Female 63inches
BF:nunya :)
Progress: 22%

"Oh my goodness I am so full I just dont think I could eat another bite" *smile* "but would you leave one of your brownies here for me to have later?"
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 07:37

Plan: Atkins-Phase 2 OWL
Stats: 230/172.2/140 Female 63
BF:

Thanks everyone for the input.

My dilemma is that I am not one to be fake. So eating one of something that goes against everything I believe, nutrition wise, just to not have to worry about hurting someone's feelings, is not an option for me.

I think I will kindly let her know that I don't eat the other ingredients in the brownie mix, but I appreciate her effort.

Sometimes this WOE is hard, especially when you are involved with people that have not been educated about boxed, processed foods and how horribly bad they are for you.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 08:21

Plan: Primal/CAD
Stats: 198/185/140 Female 63inches
BF:nunya :)
Progress: 22%

Quote:
or do I stand my ground and look like the stuck up health food-ist that won't eat anyone's food.

You stuck up health foodist you! - If you are happy with your weight loss ( and you should be you look fantabulous!) then you shouldn't feel this way when you tell her
Quote:
I think I will kindly let her know that I don't eat the other ingredients in the brownie mix, but I appreciate her effort
I think that sounds like a wonderful response and she shouldn't be hurt, or think of you as a foodist, b/c the results speak for themselves
What's that saying
"keep on doing what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got"
I think you have something that speaks volumes an opinion about your health. Good for you!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 09:02

Plan: OWL
Stats: 280/249/175 Female 73.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%

I have had people offer me chocolates and candy before. I tell them I have a medical condition where I am not able to process sugar, and eating the candy would cause me to have a toxic reaction. (Which it would, of course).

I consider obesity a medical condition. My body does not use sugar correctly. Eating sugar is like eating rat poison to my particular body. The accumulation of poison in my body has caused all manner of borderline and potential illnesses (Hypertension, obesity,vascular problems).

I don't know about you, but in my case, eating low carb is medicinal-- not simply a situation where I "choose" for vanity reasons to diet.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-21-11, 09:17

Plan: LC and PH now and then.
Stats: 176.5/153/140 Female 60 ins
BF:

How about grabbing a brownie, being " called " away to the other side of the room for an "emergency" and then taking a very small bite when you have her attention. Give her the thumbs up, you eat a tiny piece and she's happy. Bin the rest. We make allowances for people every day, we woman can con the whole Planet if we need to! Make her happy, bite it!!