Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 09:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/222/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%
Thumbs up Woo Hoo Cholesterol #'s

My #'s in June 2007

Total: 206
Triglycerides: 164
HDL: 28
LDL: 145

My #'s October 2007

Total: 153
Triglycerides: 129
HDL: 35
LDL: 92

I got a big high 5 from my doctor and was told to keep doing what I'm doing. Low Carb rocks!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 11:00

Plan: first Atkins plan
Stats: 270/232/154 Female 66 inches
BF:sz 24-26 /22/ 12
Progress: 33%

That's great! I wish mine were as good

How long have you been on LC?

#3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 11:18
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Your LDL is great, the triglycerides will prob go below 100 and HDL should increase. Do you eat many carbs, sweets or use alcohol?

My LDL is 135 but the others are good-- I am still losing fat which can affect cholesterol.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-07, 13:54

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Great job, Vicki
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 07:27

BF:

I've been on LC since late May. The only sweet I eat is occasionally I will indulge in a French Vanilla Cappucino with whip cream on top. I mainly eat whole foods - meat, veggies, and eggs.

After sharing my #'s, some of my family members who just knew I was ruining my body doing Atkins ("the nurses I work with say this or that" or "people are having heart blockages from that diet") are suddenly asking me for lists of foods I eat. In their minds I am just eating meat and cheese and they are often surprised to see that I eat a normal diet with veggies and some lc fruits and my meat intake is no more than it was before. I just don't eat breads, pasta, potatoes, or hc fruits. And of course no sweets unless they are lc. I love all the recipes available here for making lc treats - but I try to limit those to about once a month.

I am very proud of myself because I spent a week at Disney World in August and I never cheated despite the difficulty in eating LC in those parks. My Mom, who we flew in to join us, even tried to tempt me by offering to by me ice cream from the ice cream shop in our resort and I turned her down and went and got a sugar free starbucks while my family chowed down on banana splits and sundaes. It was worth it. I'm now throwing out clothes and am back in my size 18 jeans. I can't wait to throw those out and move on down to a lower size!

I also have the satisfaction of showing that this diet is good for me as well as helping me drop the weight!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 09:00

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Way to go!! You are doing sooooo well and you definitely have the right attitude to succeed!!! It won't be long and you will get to toss those 18s too!! Congratulations and keep up the great work!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 10:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Congrats to you!

Your HDL is still quite low. You really want it to be around 60. You might want to try taking some vitamin D3 and fish oil to see if you can get it higher. The fish oil will also lower your triglycerides as well. But the triglycerides are probably highish because you're losing weight.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-02-07, 06:50

BF:

Yeah, my HDL is still lowish, but at least it did go up 7 points in 3 months. Thanks for the info on the vitamin D and fish oil. I'll have to check it out. I go back in six months to have another check and can't wait to see the numbers then.

I can't wait to toss the 18's but I love that everyone has been complimenting me lately and asking me what I'm doing. I go walking alot with a friend of mine and my thighs are the smallest they've been in years. Even my sister last month while visiting told me that my legs were tiny. I'm trying to find a good exercise for my stomach. I had a hysterectomy last year with a vertical abdominal incision and some crunches feel very uncomfortable to do. I'm going to talk to my surgeon the next time I go back to see if he can recommend something.