Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 05:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 128/122/112
BF:
Progress: 38%
Smile Atkins Dieter in London

Hi

I have just started the Atkins Induction Diet and find that there is hardly any information (apart from book) in the UK. I live in London and if anyone can direct me to where I can buy low-carb or sugar-free food that would be great!

I have been 9 stone for a long time and want to lose one stone and it looks like this is the first diet that is going to allow me to do this so I am very pleased with this diet. Nobody would take my simple weight loss seriously before - and now I feel as if I am finally being understood by someone who knows and understands how to lose weight.

Any other London Atkins Dieters out there?

Daschnook
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 09:40

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 143/131/121
BF:
Progress: 55%
Smile Hello!

Hi, Daschnook!

It's great to see another Londoner at this forum. I'm from London too. I've been low-carbing since October last year. I've been browsing round lots of sites and forums, but I found this one is the best. There are lot of people who can always offer their help by answering your questions and sharing their experience.

I hope to hear more from you, especially because like me you haven't got that much to lose, so it would be interesting to know how you are doing.

Good luck!

ella
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-02, 13:24

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Wlcome

When I first started with Atkins I spent many hours looking for LC, sugar-free food.

A lot of the prepared food has some form of hidden carb. It is not just the sweet foods that contain sugar. Mayonnaise, curry sauces etc all contain them.
Eventually I found it easier to buy the basics and create simple easy meals at home so I could be certain they were sugar free.

Shopping List for me is basically eggs, meat, fish, chicken (raw which I can cook); nuts Holland & Barratt are great and reasonable, as are a lot of supermarkets. LC fresh vegetables such as peppers, cauliflour and broccoli.

Stay with the diet and you will lose. You are nearly half way there already!
Take care.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 04:11
Registered Member

BF:

Hi

Thanks for the helpful replies. I am a big fan of Waitrose for their fresh seafood and frozen seafood. Fortunately my partner cooks great and does great LC food for me so I will have to ask him for his seafood recipe kuz it is quite simply TDF (if you like seafood).

He was also talking yesterday about some kind of dish with lamb and cream and garlic which had me salivating (in a good way)

When he has time, I will ask him to write down the recipe to share with everyone here.

Thanks again for all the help and advice

Daschnook
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 10:39

Plan: atkins/x factor
Stats: 157/157/133
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi
i too am from London and on day 2 of re-inducting to Atkins.
I'm on my own doing this as all my friend think i'm mad.
I refuse to spend the rest of my life struggling with weight watchers or slimming world(i always gain on this one) and it's the only diet although slow for me that makes me feel great(once in ketosis) and that i don't constantly obssess about food with.
I also sleep much better on this woe and lose all my carb cravings (helped by chromium picolinate). My only real problem with sticking to it is that i like to have a bottle of wine once a week but that will now need to be a couple of gins and slimline tonics and that i eat too much legal food.
Great to find this sight and meet new friends-----Davina
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 12:08
Registered Member

Stats: 786/786/786 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hi Davina

watchout anything that says slimline, reduced fat etc, cause they're usually bulking with carbs.

As a rule of thumb, the higher the fat the lower the carb, so be careful when you go for low fat stuffs.

Ciao
Sheila
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 13:43

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile NW London Wow!

You are so right, Sheila - Low-Fat invariably means High-Carb.

Davina, You could still have your bottle of wine once a week - only share it with 2-3 friends and take it in turns to "bring the SINGLE bottle of wine". That way you are only having a glass. If it helps make the diet more acceptable and you feel less deprived I see no harm done.

NW London! Would you be interested in the Get-Together being planned for 23 or 30 March? Reply in Get Together thread please.

Take care.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 13:59

Plan: atkins/x factor
Stats: 157/157/133
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi all
yep i know what you are saying but i've looked on the bottle and slimline tonic has trace carbs also i know that gin has zero so this is probably the better option than wine!
There are so many places on this board to post that i am a little confused where to post what!---sorry to sound so thick!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 03:02

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Daschnook and Co

I am sitting in Victoria, London, typing this, although I live a little outside. I find Atkins a great way of eating. Like what has been said before I find it easier to cook from scratch so that I know what I'm eating and if I use prepared foods, I look carefully at the labels before I buy. Having been on a low fat way of eating for many years it is interesting to find how many carbohydrates I ate without realising.

Did you post the menu with lamb, cream and garlic - sounds great.

Little Anne
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 03:25
Registered Member

BF:

Hi

Thanks for reminding me to post the lamb/cream/garlic recipe but I must wait for my husband to come home and tell me hwo to make it. He is the chef in the house and fortunately he follows Atkins with me kuz he knows it is a healthy way of life and a great way for me to shape up for my bikini.

He is working late tonight but as soon as he is home when I am on line I will ask him about this recipe and post it.

He once made it for us before we knew anything of Atkins and it was delicious!

Nice to meet you!

Daschnook