Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#3697   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 16:24
Registered Member

Plan: antivegan,was subzerocarb
Stats: 200/187/175 Male 6' 0"
BF:27%/19%/12%
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo
A correction: I have been using the term "gluconeogenesis" to refer only to the production of glucose from protein, a process that has an efficiency of 58%. In fact, the term also refers to the production of glucose from glycerol.
ubizmo, this was covered WAY BACK in this thread.
Quote:
Under prolonged fasting conditions, which partly mimic eucaloric zero carb intake*, about 75% of the GNG-produced glucose is from protein; the remainder is from glycerol.

*Key difference between fasting and a calorically adequate zero carb diet is, of course, that in the eucaloric diet the protein doesn't have to come from muscle tissue if there's adequate dietary protein.
The use of muscle tissue would be to spare the bodyfat in a starving person. See... fat IS the preferred macro and micro nutrient for our bodies.

Main thing is, although Bear was the one who brought up the glycerol being used for glucose needs, he never fully understood the GNG pathway that was used by the liver. I guess physiology is not his "strong suit".
  #3698   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 16:31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
... Or that GNG does not play a role in glucose homeostasis on a carnivorous diet or in carnivorous animals...
So, Wooo... on a zero-carb diet, after becoming fully FFA/keto-adapted, would glycerol be used as the substrate, or amino acids?
  #3699   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 16:37
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve
Is it diet-related? And if yes, how would a zero-carb woe influence the thyroid efficiency?
Only the "black-box" knows for sure!
  #3700   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 16:41
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobi-p
Insulin is a hormone.

Ahem! I think Rosebud KNOWS that! I just love it when one nurse corrects another one like she is actually revealing a big secret! LOL
  #3701   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 17:11

Plan: VLC
Stats: 240/145/150 Female 69 inches
BF: 21%, HT: 69"
Progress: 106%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
Ahem! I think Rosebud KNOWS that! I just love it when one nurse corrects another one like she is actually revealing a big secret! LOL

I was not correcting, just adding. Sorry if I offended you.
  #3702   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 17:15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobi-p
I was not correcting, just adding. Sorry if I offended you.

You didn't offend me at all, but I believe the subject had already been covered several pages ago.
  #3703   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 17:18
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
This is day 68 on the all-meat diet for me.
Yesterday, my doctor adjusted DOWN the amount of dessicated thyroid I have been taking for the last four years. She said I was overcompensated ... suddenly!
Is it diet-related? And if yes, how would a zero-carb woe influence the thyroid efficiency?

I have heard of people decreasing their thyroid because they have lost weight. There is an equation for determining dosing range that is based on weight. The equation is posted in the thyroid area.
  #3704   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffybear
You didn't offend me at all, but I believe the subject had already been covered several pages ago.

I have a life other than this Thread; I guess I missed the post where this was "already covered several pages ago."
  #3705   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 17:37

Plan: zero-carb
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Ok, I guess it has finally come to the end for me.

The thread has become infested with parasites who take our time but don't contribute anything but noise.

I began this to inform people who have a bodyfat problem about the highly 'unsocial' diet that is our evolution-imposed real diet.

First I encountered those who are addicted to 'some' veggies. Then those who are compulsive counters of calories and readers of 'scientific' studies which contradict my experiences. This was followed by the pedantic control freaks who 'know' that my lifestyle is flawed. After that the parasites who cling to their acculturation and feel obligated to attack and render useless anything which contradicts their belief systems.

The final straw was the ******** who impugned my knowledge of the cancer which threatened my life. This ********* finally brought me to the realisation that I am simply wasting my time wading through a daily pile of hundreds of meaningless unproductive posts to find a genuine question from the few who are really interested in changing their body shape, health and lifestyle.

SO, it has been an interesting trip, thanks to those who CAN follow and have supported me, but I am now departing to leave the thread to the parasites and mercenaries who have stolen it.

Any one who is interested in the path and has any genuine questions on how to implement this controversial way of eating is welcome to visit my website and send me an e/mail.

Goodbye and- 'Thanks for all the fish'.

Last edited by tamarian : Sat, May-06-06 at 17:57. Reason: personal insults removed.
  #3706   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 17:52

I for one will be visiting your website and emailing you. Thank you for taking the time to outline the lifestyle that has been successful for you.
Sponsored Links
  #3707   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 18:06
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
This is day 68 on the all-meat diet for me.
Yesterday, my doctor adjusted DOWN the amount of dessicated thyroid I have been taking for the last four years. She said I was overcompensated ... suddenly!

Have you stopped dieting? (i.e. restricting calories)
  #3708   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 18:13
Registered Member

Plan: Raw Meat Only
Stats: 183/176/198 Male 179,5 cm
BF:
Progress:

It is actually a good decision to give up this thread for everyone involved. The useful stuff has already been said.

It is improductive sitting on forums and arguing about this and that. The only thing you will learn from that is retorical skills. It is a totally worthless for educational purposes. To honestly share personal experience is all the use there is to it and that does not take many words and posts; especially considering that most people do not seem to have any useful experiences to share at all. This thread and the whole Internet is a testimony to that. I have been on more forums than I can remember in my young life and it is the same everywhere. People mostly post nonsense, whether they are 10 or 50 years old. One grows tired of filtering the noise. A wise man once said that wireless Internet may very well destroy our chances of contacting intelligent life. He was probably right.
  #3709   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 18:26
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
So, Wooo... on a zero-carb diet, after becoming fully FFA/keto-adapted, would glycerol be used as the substrate, or amino acids?

Likely both and I see no reason why the body would stop using amino acids.

In fact, the earlier link I posted about feline diabetes explicitly states that carnivores have an extremely poor tolerance to starvation because of how they metabolize protein constantly.
  #3710   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 18:37
Registered Member

Plan: General Controlled Carb
Stats: 225/180/180 Male 185 centimetres
BF:

Quote:
A correction: I have been using the term "gluconeogenesis" to refer only to the production of glucose from protein, a process that has an efficiency of 58%. In fact, the term also refers to the production of glucose from glycerol.

Under prolonged fasting conditions, which partly mimic eucaloric zero carb intake*, about 75% of the GNG-produced glucose is from protein; the remainder is from glycerol.

*Key difference between fasting and a calorically adequate zero carb diet is, of course, that in the eucaloric diet the protein doesn't have to come from muscle tissue if there's adequate dietary protein.

References? You want references? We don't need no stinkin' references! I did it using theBear's method of introspective research. I ate a chunk of meat and EXPERIENCED the GNG!

I think you need to be careful you are not confusing efficiency (which normally relates to energy efficiency) and availability (ie the percentage of amino acids which are glucogenic and the amount of glucose that can be derived from each). As I understand it availability varies between amino acids and the comparative inefficiency of obtaining energy from protein (and one pathway involves the intermediate production of glucose) is the key factor which underpins the concept of 'metabolic advantage' on a low carb diet.

And I for one would be happy to see scientific references quoted here! - and if that makes me a parasite or a mercenary I really don't care!!
  #3711   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 18:38
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleoDeano
ubizmo, this was covered WAY BACK in this thread.The use of muscle tissue would be to spare the bodyfat in a starving person. See... fat IS the preferred macro and micro nutrient for our bodies.

Main thing is, although Bear was the one who brought up the glycerol being used for glucose needs, he never fully understood the GNG pathway that was used by the liver. I guess physiology is not his "strong suit".

The body uses muscle during starvation not because it "prefers to use fat for energy" but because maintaining muscle mass is not a top priority when energy is so low. Well developed muscle mass is expensive to maintain and not as biologically essential as fat. The muscle goes first because it costs too much relative to the benefit. With weak muscles you can get by okay (assuming you don't act aggressive or do anything dangerous or risky or stupid, which you likely won't considering what famine state does to your mind thus behavior). On the other hand, without minimum fat, your endocrine system shuts down and maintaining homeostasis of everything gets next to impossible.

If you get demoted at your job, are you going to keep your expensive luxury car while sacrificing food money? No. The car goes first, then the other "luxury expenses", before you touch the food and rent money... assuming you were well adapted to survival, of course (as a side, lots of people keep their cars when they can't afford to... and in a natural environment, these people wouldn't survive one winter ).

In times of stress or famine, the body prioritizes what it eats and what it preserves and how quickly with a carefully evaluated priority of need relative to cost. The first things to go are excessive adipose (but not the minimum fat which takes severe starvation to touch), fancy muscles, reproductive system, etc... it is not adaptive to remain as high of a metabolic rate (fat/muscles/top quality hair/skin/nails) in famine, nor is it adaptive to have kids in famine, as all these things only exacerbate the strain on resources.

This has nothing to do with what the body "prefers to use for fuel" and it is irrational to think the body is acting like a kid picking out their choice of candy when we are talking about times of life or death scarcity.
  #3712   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 20:33

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Well, another good thing ruined! I am disappointed, but not surprised. It seems that there are always some people to ruin things for the others.
Bear, I want to thank you for your awesome message. I had been following the Atkins diet for some time, without much success. I had read the summaries of the Inuit diet and felt it was right for me, but I never got the guts to follow an all meat diet until you came along and posted your first message. It is the right diet, I feel it in every ounce of my body. I will go to your site on occasion and ask for advice when I need it, but don't worry, I won't impose on your time too often.
I wish you the best, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.
  #3713   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 21:27

Hey, Dean... Is our bus derailed? Maybe gone but not forgotten and to be pursued on other highways, huh?
  #3714   ^
Old Sat, May-06-06, 22:46

Plan: Lights Out
Stats: 255/225/190 Male 72"
BF:all
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Well, another good thing ruined! I am disappointed, but not surprised. It seems that there are always some people to ruin things for the others.

I know all of Bear's sycophants will chime in here like this, but I want to point something out. Bear started this thread, presumably to "share" some information, but within a scant THREE DAYS his language degenerated into this:

"So far as duparc, I am appalled to find his mind so poisoned with his own calcified ego that he chooses to call me a liar."

And it just got worse and worse. Once you expose your own weakness like this, people sense you're not 100% authentic. Good riddance to an insufferable egotist with no credibility.

Oh, and that doesn't mean I think the all-meat diet is a bad idea.
  #3715   ^
Old Sun, May-07-06, 02:28
Slightly foxed

Plan: Take over the world,Pinky
Stats: 284/275/224 Male 5'7"
BF:No, I'm straight
Progress: 15%

Well, this has been a fascinating thread. Not for the diet, that has been put forward on this forum before and been a subject of vigorous but friendly debate, but for the chance to see a little bit of society in miniature.

In a strange way one would have liked to be able to like TheBear, just because he was player in that little window of time when dropping acid was newish and cool. That milieu has a certain iconic status.

What actually happened was that we got an authoritarian autocrat in our midst whose notoriety got him listened to.

What's fascinated me is that the reaction to this has been a very flat bell curve, I'd say almost thirds. The middle ground seemed to be unaware (or didn't care) about the absolutest viewpoint they were encountering. For about another third (and I have to admit I was one of them) our immediate reaction to dictators is to roll our sleeves up for the fight and make them prove their assertions. The remaining third I do find worrisome.

In the face of some of the most clear-cut megalomania ever encountered on this board, they immediately adopted the role of disciple/follower.

I've gotta say, that's scary. But it goes a long way to explaining how corrupt and/or dicatorial regimes continue to enjoy popular support.

Last edited by LondonIan : Sun, May-07-06 at 07:54. Reason: an errant 's'
  #3716   ^
Old Sun, May-07-06, 02:30

Plan: Dr Greg Ellis
Stats: 10/10/10 Male 186 Cm
BF:
Progress:

i know one thing, bear you changed my life, thank you!
  #3717   ^
Old Sun, May-07-06, 03:37

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonIan
What's fascinated me is that the reaction to this has been a very flat bell curve, I'd say almost thirds. The middle ground seemed to be unaware (or didn't care) about the absolutest viewpoint they were encountering. For about another third (and I have to admit I was one of them) our immediate reaction to dictators is to roll our sleeves up for the fight and make them proves their assertions. The remaining third I do find worrisome.

I congratulate you on the courage it took to make this admission. That must have been tough for you. Allow me to be the second person to pat you on the back for that -- I wish I could have been the first, but you beat me to it. I feel much better knowing that courageous folks like you are out there, willing to go toe to toe with dictators, wherever you find them.
  #3718   ^
Old Sun, May-07-06, 04:16
Registered Member

Plan: no carbs
Stats: 160/160/160 Male 6'
BF:10%

And what's wrong with dictators?
It's how packs of carnivore animals are governed. Ever heard of alpha pair in wolf pack?
And they are confronted from time to time to make sure they are able to dominate. It's most efficient system ever created.
  #3719   ^
Old Sun, May-07-06, 04:22
Is it me?

Plan: low carb/no spike
Stats: 230/191.8/166 Female 5' 7" (top weight 266)
BF:
Progress: 60%

It amuses me how two people can read a post and take such different meaning from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikdriver
I congratulate you on the courage it took to make this admission. That must have been tough for you. Allow me to be the second person to pat you on the back for that -- I wish I could have been the first, but you beat me to it. I feel much better knowing that courageous folks like you are out there, willing to go toe to toe with dictators, wherever you find them.

LondonIan's post seems to have rankled with Kwik who appears to have taken it as being a chest beating exercise on the part of the poster.

For myself, this passage sums up the uneasiness that this thread has had me feeling all along...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonIan
The remaining third I do find worrisome.

In the face of some of the most clear-cut megalomania ever encountered on this board, they immediately adopted the role of disciple/follower.

I've gotta say, that's scary. But it goes a long way to explaining how corrupt and/or dicatorial regimes continue to enjoy popular support.

TheBear's diet preferences have not unduly bothered me. His delivery style and some of the almost cult-like responses to it have.
  #3720   ^
Old Sun, May-07-06, 04:36

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchi
It amuses me how two people can read a post and take such different meaning from it.

LondonIan's post seems to have rankled with Kwik who appears to have taken it as being a chest beating exercise on the part of the poster.

It's nice being able to look around and find so much to amuse you, isn't it?

Anyone who couldn't see the rather overt chest beating of that post was too amused to really pay attention....

"Amusingly" enough, I wasn't "rankled," but "amused" in my own right, by someone who is off-put by the egoism of someone else, but perfectly willing to make a post where they congratulate themselves for being willing to, not only stand up to "dictators," but say they are willing to stand up to dictators, unlike the sheep and oblivious who comprise the other 2/3 of humanity.

Perhaps there's so much amusement going around, we've strayed into "mirthful" territory. What comes after mirthful, I wonder. Hysterical? What an amusing train of thought. Or is that a mirthful train of thought. Damn, I think I got on the wrong train. Didn't the dictator Mussolini make the trains run on time? That's the problem with dictators -- they're never around when you need them, probably due to the courageous and untiring efforts of people like Ian.
  #3721   ^
Old Sun, May-07-06, 04:48
Is it me?

Plan: low carb/no spike
Stats: 230/191.8/166 Female 5' 7" (top weight 266)
BF:
Progress: 60%

Now what's the word I'm looking for?

Touche.

or

Touchy.
Sponsored Links
  #3722   ^
Old Sun, May-07-06, 06:06
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_LC
And what's wrong with dictators?
It's how packs of carnivore animals are governed. Ever heard of alpha pair in wolf pack?
And they are confronted from time to time to make sure they are able to dominate. It's most efficient system ever created.

Egads! Now there are wolves among us. Or are they werewolves? I think some are really going off the deep end---all the way from human to a pack animal! LOL. Are we seeing the beginnings of a transmutation of the brain here or what?
Hmmmm--is it acid or the carnivorous "path" causing people to see themselves as canis lupes rather than homo sapien in their mind's eye (and maybe the mirror). This is sooooo interesting! Dang, where is Freud when we need him? All we have now is Dr. Phil.

Last edited by fluffybear : Sun, May-07-06 at 06:12.
  #3723   ^
Old Sun, May-07-06, 06:09
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletchi

For myself, this passage sums up the uneasiness that this thread has had me feeling all along...

TheBear's diet preferences have not unduly bothered me. His delivery style and some of the almost cult-like responses to it have.

Now you've hit the nail on the head!! Just what I have been saying all along.
  #3724   ^
Old Sun, May-07-06, 06:28
Registered Member

Default Did anyone ever catch the inconsistency.................

In the original REAL (carnivore) HUMAN DIET post, Bear stated that he ate an all meat (except for spices and some dairy products) diet because that is what humans ate during the paleo era. He based his views on his reading of an article by the explorer Stefansson who lived among the Inuits during the first part of the 20th century. HOWEVER when some people (including a graduate anthropology student I might add) said that evidence of plant eating was found in excavations (and I can give you the citations if you wish) in North America, Bear said that there were no inhabitants on the North American continent before 12,000 years ago. Inuits live on the North American continent. If, as Bear believed the continent was not inhabited by humans until after the paleo era, why did he cite them as evidence that stone-age humans were totally carniverous? The other inconsistency of course is that Inuits didn't eat dairy products and it is hard to imagine any paleo era people eating anything remotely resembling dairy after being weaned. It is one thing to hunt a wild animal, it's another thing altogether to MILK it. I think that this entire thread would have gone down better (at least with some of us students of anthropology) if it had been called the "Eskimo diet." He then could have cited how the Inuits survived for thousands of years on an all meat diet and be done with it.

Last edited by fluffybear : Sun, May-07-06 at 07:43.
Closed Thread