Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 09:43

Plan: protein power
Stats: 172/147/130
BF:
Progress: 60%
Exclamation Fatty Liver?

For the past three years I have been dealing with increasingly elevated liver enzymes due to fatty liver. I was about 40 lbs overweight. In December the doctor said to lose it, now. Fatty liver can lead to cirrosis of the liver and that can kill you. So, in January I decided to make a serious effort to lose the weight. There really wasn't any improvement until I began LC in March. Last week my labs came back with normal liver enzymes. I am so excited. This is the best incentive to keep going and keep it off for always. I still have about 20 lbs to lose but the improvement keeps me heading toward my goal. So, if anyone else out there is dealing with fatty liver, there is hope.

To clarify: I rarely ever drink alcohol, it's just my lovely metabolism that caused the fatty liver.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-09-03, 18:19

Plan: Home grown based on Protein Power
Stats: 194/174/174
BF:
Progress: 100%

your lovely metabolism helped along by refined carbohydrates.

Congratulations
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 13:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/158/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 104%
Thumbs up

"Sis" - that is fantastic. I also have a fatty liver and keep looking for an information I can get on it. I keep thinking that my liver won't burn off the fat properly and I'm going to make it worse by eating all this fat. I've been on since Apr. 30 - lose a pound, gain a lb. - and my clothes feel tighter. Did you talk to your doctor? I did, but he didn't seem to know anything about the Atkins plan. D'oh.

I was glad to read your note and congratulations!

Did you start losing immediately or was it slow? I read an article that if you have a fatty liver you won't go into Ketosis. That worried me.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 13:57

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I've heard good things about sliymarin milk thistle being good for liver problems.

http://www.rxvitamins.com/people/milkthistech.asp

http://www.naturalfacts.com.au/milkth.html

I've been taking one a day for quite some time, I am doing some research now, thinking I might up the intake a bit.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-12-03, 22:39
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi there Sis,

You might be interested to read Sandra Cabot's information page re: Fatty Liver. She promotes eating lean meats, good fats and oils, plenty of fresh vegetables and fruits. She advises you to eliminate ALL sugar and processed, refined carbs, dairy products, cheese etc, processed fats and transfats. She does not advocate low-fat, but she does state "you should oil, not grease, your body".

Good luck to you in achieving your weight loss goal

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 04:33

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Thanks for the article Doreen. One paragraph that I found especially enlightening:

Quote:
The liver has become a fat storage organ rather than a fat burning organ - so this situation must be reversed before actual weight loss can occur. Obviously this will depend on the extent of the fatty liver as to how long this will take. Also be prepared for the fact that you will more than likely hit a 'plateau' - where weight loss will stop or slow right down - this may go on for weeks or a month or two - Don't be discouraged at this time - the fat loss is occurring - but is going from within your liver so you may not see any visible fat loss from the body - stick with it! It is at this time that people will tend to give up thinking that that's it - they won't lose anymore - not true! - you must be diligent and patient - the symptoms you are experiencing have taken years to develop and cannot be reversed by a couple of weeks of "dieting" Yo Yo dieting is not advisable as the weight lost will return plus more and the metabolism will slow.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 10:45

Stats: 257/234/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I too have a fatty liver. My last 2 blood test came back with those results. My doctor advised the same as yours...loose it. On the 5th of May, I started this lc again. I did it before for awhile and actually felt better. I don't remember if I had much weight loss but my clothes fit better and I didn't feel as bloaded. I was going to go for another blood test soon but now I may put it off for a month or so to see how my liver is reacting to all this. I am so happy to hear that your results were now normal.

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 09:39

Plan: Atkins/Rosedale
Stats: 244/216/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I just found out that I have a fatty liver but mine goes a step further. I also have cirrohosis. I just found out yesterday and I have to have a liver biopsy. I am scared and can't stop thinking about the implications this may have for me. Wish me luck
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 10:05

Plan: protein power
Stats: 172/147/130
BF:
Progress: 60%

Cinnamo,

I'm sorry for your diagnosis. Maybe it's not as bad as it seems. They can't tell anything until you have the biopsy done. The liver has an amazing ability to heal and regrow.

I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

Blessings,

Sis
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 15:16

Stats: 257/234/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Cinnamo,

Of course I wish you luck. Things may not be as bad as they seem. Wait for the results of the tests. Take care

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 20:15

Plan: My own low-carb rules
Stats: 190/180/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon
I've heard good things about sliymarin milk thistle being good for liver problems.

http://www.rxvitamins.com/people/milkthistech.asp

http://www.naturalfacts.com.au/milkth.html

I've been taking one a day for quite some time, I am doing some research now, thinking I might up the intake a bit.

I did a research project in school on Silymarin & mice -- it reversed their drug-induced fatty liver. I also found an abundance of info on Silymarin, in reputable journals (not just "alternative medicine" papers). Research indicates that it may work for humans too, but not sure about the dose.