Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 06:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Progress: 33%
Unhappy 2ns cheat in 5 days, where's my willpower?

Hello,
Well on January 20 I did a little cheat. Felt bad, and seriously got back on the wagon. Yesterday, January 25 (only 5 days later!!!) I did a shredded wheat and milk breakfast, and it was open season for the rest of the day. I just ate everything carby and knew I shouldn't but sort of said, Oh the heck with it and kept doing it. Where's my willpower. I felt bad after the lst cheat and fixed it right away, but this cheat was over the top. Why didn't I learn my lesson. Scale is up 2lbs this morning!!!!

I guess it's boredom with my meals. I'm on the run and don't have time to make them interesting right now. Very busy starting a rehearsal schedule.

I want to know, why do I feel like I'm the only one on the forum who's doing this. When I posted this I saw my last post in confessions and thought, oh boy, this looks bad.

BTW, I started very gung-ho and was doing so well. Also, by the end of the day the carb cravings were coming less than every hour. Today my body feels fat, slow and sluggish. I was also having heart palpitations last night, and felt jittery. Is that carb reaction?

What am I doing? HEEELPPP! IT seems like the cheat is worse because I did one onllly 5 days ago. If it had been a month or two I wouldn't be so hard on myself. Yeeeeessh! Egad! Yech! Yukky-yukky!

Here goes again.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 09:17

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

(((ruby))), you are not the only one who struggles with carbs! My advice to folks is always this: be kind to yourself in this. Beating ourselves up only makes us feel bad about ourselves and guilty, which really doesn't help much in the long run. Carbs are addictive to so many of us, they are all around us, and it takes more than willpower to manage the problem. You may have messed up one day out of five, but that means you did great four days out of five--give yourself a pat on the back for the success, too!

Every mistake is also an opportunity for learning. Now is the time to ask yourself some questions and brainstorm some solutions. Can you eliminate carbs from your home altogether? If not, can you buy carbs for your family members that you really dislike--even if only for a couple months? If even that isn't possible, can you install a lock on a cabinet door and keep the carbs in there and only give some other family member a key?

Now, what else do you think triggered your eating that bowl of cereal? What had stopped you other mornings that didn't stop you that particular morning? Journaling carefully on this can help you see the triggers--which may be emotional or physical. (Sometimes, a legal food that is dangerous for you, eaten the night before, can trigger next-morning cravings)

Sounds like you are like me, in that if you cheat in the morning, it is nearly impossible to stop the rest of the day. So maybe another lesson to learn is to defray the cheat until 8:00 p.m.--at least it will just be one meal then, and not a whole day! Try to be perfect, but if you are only pretty good, also try to congratulate yourself for that.

I admire you for sticking with this through the struggles, continuing to post, and not just running away into full-blown carb eating. As long as you keep progressing and hanging in there with us, you will conquer this.

You're stronger than that bowl of cereal!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 14:48

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

Ruby:

No way are you the only one --- trust me!!

I cheated and unfortunately could not find my way back to the WOE/WOL program for 3 weeks.

I am back now, and let's help each other -- okay??

The cheat or inappropriate food choice is over, stand up, brush off the excess carbs and begin again. The wheat ceral is over and done with and you can not do anything about it now.

So, new start......new day......new beginning.......more success.

ATM
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-26-02, 20:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/153/120 Female 62"
BF:Start38%
Progress: 33%
Default Thanks Razzle and A Thin Me

Hi you guys,
I came in late and read your posts in my confessions thread (I was still feeling terrible) and it was so encouraging that it perked me right up and made me gung ho about continuing. I'm back on track today, but wasn't feeling very sure of myself. You guys have really helped, I can't say how important it was for me to read both your posts tonight. I will keep going. Good luck to you both and thanks so very much.

Bye,
Ruby
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 13:03

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%

Ruby:

Hi!
I got a message telling me that you were sending me a PM, but my mailbox was full - it is empty now, should you want to contact me.

ATM
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-27-02, 13:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Protien power
Stats: 164/149/130
BF:
Progress: 44%
Talking Know the feeling

Since the beginning of the year I have been not following the wol so well. I let stress triggers get to me. Plus most of my coworkers are over weight. I think they get nervous when one of us trys to unload the load.

We all did weight watchers together. I was constantly hungry!! Lost the weight but was miserable.

I have told myself to get with it. I am going back on the program. I went to the store to make sure I had all the things I enjoy in this WOL.

Baby steps is all I can say for me. I think if you tell yourself baby steps too and focus on one meal at a time.