Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, May-09-17, 14:44

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by scintillad
I have satisfied my craving to have a bagel breakfast sandwich once in awhile, or just a bagel with cream cheese and butter. I make my own bagels by mixing 2.5 cups of whole milk mozzarella and 2 oz cream cheese, melted together. Then mix in 2 cups almond flour and 3 tsp baking powder. Mix until a soft sticky dough is formed. You can knead it by hand or mix in a mixer. Form into bagel shapes on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 10-12 minutes at 425, or until lightly browned. They work even better if you bake them in a non stick donut pan, as they tend to rise better and keep their shape better. They have 5 grams of net carbs each.
I'm not the OP, but can you tell me how many bagels this makes? I know everyone says it's best to give up "substitutes" but I also believe that "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good". Things like this are what have kept me more or less on track for eleven years now. Maybe I'm a bad example as I'm still so far from goal. But in the past every time I've done my best to be super strict it always leads to severe binging and weight gain after several months. The longer I stay super-strict the more depressed and deprived I feel! So I'm interested indeed in a recipe like this, but don't want to make too many bagels at one time.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, May-09-17, 17:07
Registered Member

Plan: OMAD intermittent fasting
Stats: 200/173/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 49%

The recipe above makes 6 bagels. I was wrong when I said 5 net carbs per bagel. They have 8 net carbs per bagel, which is still pretty low. I agree that I have to have some variety in my diet in order to keep at it. I had done low carb before and got bored very easily just eating eggs and meat. Now that I am experimenting with recipes I have more motivation to keep going. I may be losing a little slower but I have lots of good food and a lot of variety. Store the bagels in the fridge or freezer since they are made with cheese and have no preservatives. Sometimes I sprinkle them with asiago cheese before baking to replicate my favorite Panera bagel, and sometimes I sprinkle them with sesame seeds or mix chives in with the batter. They are also good with cinnamon and erythritol if you like a sweet bagel.

Last edited by scintillad : Tue, May-09-17 at 17:15. Reason: add info
  #33   ^
Old Wed, May-10-17, 06:28

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

I agree. Ideal is no bread or faux bread, but my goal is staying the course of LC eating. Just realized, I have now been lc for about one year!!! Yeah!!! Feel so much better. More painfree days and lowest weight in more than 25 years😁