Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 13:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/246/160 Female 5 ' 6
BF:
Progress:
Default Realistic?

Hey everyone!

Just started my Low carb journey 3 days ago and already down 4 pounds (woo!).

My goal is to get down to 160 in 6 months. Realistic or no?

Starting weight 250
Current 246
Height 5'6
Dress/jean size 16
T-shirt size XL/14

Goal is 160 or Size 6/8

How long average would this take? I am planning on being strictly low carb (20-25 carbs per day at less than 1000 cal per day)

I am very active and muscular if that counts for anything.

Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 17:42

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Hi, and congratulations on your success so far. I do think you'll likely have to be a bit more patient than you're hoping to achieve your goal. That old calorie math of 3500 calories per pound lost doesn't really actually work out--but if it did, then you'd be hoping for a calorie deficit of 1700 calories a day, burning 2700 calories a day while eating 1000. If you're somebody who has some excess water to lose, that brings the calories down some, and the math is only loose--but I don't really think that there's a reasonable plan that will guarantee 90 pounds of weight loss in six months for a person your height.

I hope you won't let this discourage you. Even if it takes you a little longer, judging by the responses to low carbing of a lot of the long-term dieters on this site, there's a very good chance that you'll feel great while on this journey.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 18:26

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 210/178.2/160 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

That's more than 3 pounds per week. Usually lose fast in beginning and then slow down. Hang out on the forum and read multiple posts. There is a ton of information and support to help you reach your goals.

Congratulations and keep going!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 18:27

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

The point of eating low carb is to find a way of eating that is sustainable for the long term. What you are proposing, with your calories cut so low, is probably not sustainable. The advice that is usually given is to eat when hungry and stop when full, eat only real food, and keep carbs low. Your body will decide how slow or fast the weight loss will be. Check out the dietdoctor.com site. It is packed with useful information. The more you educate yourself the more likely you will be to succeed, probaly not at the speed you are hoping for, but in a sustainable for a lifetime way.

Jean
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-17, 12:35

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

That's a 60% deficit! Definitely too dramatic for a long term plan.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-17, 15:28

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Sounds a bit fast to me -- I managed to lose 60 pounds in 9 months. But as others have said, this is a journey, not a destination.... if your goal is to diet, lose, then stop "dieting" -- you will gain it all back anyway. The only way this works is as a change of life. The good news is -- it really is filled with delicious, wonderful food. You can enjoy this. And then it won't matter as much how long it takes (thought I DO get the impatience to fit in the next dress size down!)
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-17, 16:17
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi and welcome.

I always advise against setting time-based weight goals. You only have control of your behaviour - you have no control over how your body responds to it. You have little to no control over other factors that affect weight loss - age, other health conditions, genetics...

My mantra: compliance trumps everything. If you get yourself burned out, it's game over and you lose. Concentrate on making the process livable. It's okay to be super-stoked and strict for a while, but then coast on not-as-ideal foods when your motivation wanes. It's a long, slow journey that doesn't end when you reach a goal weight.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-17, 13:22

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi, sw and welcome! I agree with the previous posters. 2 pounds a week, after the initial drop, is typically about the maximum loss, which is good. If you were to lose faster than that, you body wouldn't be able to keep up.

Also, I see you're doing Atkins, but haven't read a book. I found Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution invaluable. It is an easy read, explains why this works, and gives excellent guidelines that will really help. It's under $6 on Amazon for kindle download.

It's also recommended by most of us here that you stay away from the Atkins packaged foods and shakes and stick with real foods.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-17, 20:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, IF, VLCHFLC
Stats: 375/270/225 Male 6ft 0in
BF:Nope I'm Straight
Progress: 70%

I agree with the others who have mentioned that you may be biting off more than you can chew goal wise. I am bout to post in another thread my 6 month results and I have lost 85 pounds in that 6 months. but you need to understand I had 145 to loose. my goal for the last 65 pounds is the next 12 to 18 months. I know that as I continue to drop I will likely slow down.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 06:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

We wish it was a spreadsheet, but it is not. Haven't we gotten messed up enough, doing "calorie math" and never getting the results the equations promised?

You aren't just losing weight. You are healing your metabolism, conditioning your body to burn fat instead of sugar, ramping up the production of enzymes that help us do that, and learning a new way of eating that will keep you healthy and your weight under control.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 10:28

Plan: IR Diet framework, LC
Stats: 310/288/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

I find it much easier and more encouraging to set myself daily HABIT goals rather than an arbitrary weight on the scale. The scale is notorious for being inaccurate for weight loss, because it doesn't just measure fat, but also water, skin, muscle, bone, etc.

So if I have done these things today, it's a successful day:
  1. Keep my carbs under my daily limit
  2. Keep my carbs under my limit per meal
  3. Eat at least two servings of veg
  4. Physically move at least 20 minutes (from walking and gardening and easy ("seniors" or "plus size") exercise tapes to Tai Chi and yoga)
If I do these things consistently, I WILL lose weight. I find it much more encouraging to track things I can actually DO or NOT DO, rather than aim for a specific weight.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 11:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger
I find it much more encouraging to track things I can actually DO or NOT DO, rather than aim for a specific weight.

Quoted for brilliance!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-17, 10:28

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 279.5/178/199 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 126%

Congrats on the progress so far! I am just finishing week 5 and was fortunate enough to lose ~15lbs the first 2 weeks and then reality set in and I have lost 2lbs the next 3! But that is ok, I know this is a long term project or should I say a lifetime project. I have the same type of personality that likes to work out the numbers and keep track and plan my success. I also am a list maker so I think that goes hand in hand. You are getting a ton of great advice from senior posters, so all I will add to that is to try and not get so caught up with the expectation but enjoy each day. If you have success in a day, savor it, if you feel you were not so successful, learn from it.

Good luck.

Kathy
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-17, 12:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy5853
If you have success in a day, savor it, if you feel you were not so successful, learn from it.

Great advice, Kathy!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-17, 12:28

Plan: Atkins '72 version'
Stats: 264/232.2/150 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 28%

Lots of great advice so far. I lost quick in the beginning then about 1 to maybe 2 pounds a week. There have been times I haven't lost any. Expect the unexpected and roll with it. Don't get discouraged and keep on plan. No matter how long it takes to get to goal run with it and enjoy the gifts that this WOE surprises your body with!

Best of Luck