Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-12, 15:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 311/250/180 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn

Avoid anything having to do with Dr. Oz, anything with grains (especially a thyroid killer like millet), and any franken-foods that approximate what you used to eat THAT MADE YOU SICK.

LOVE THAT!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-12, 20:21

Plan: Atkins, Paleo, High Fat
Stats: 180/133.2/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 117%

AJ ... Lol ... "Avoid anything by dr. Oz." now that was completely funny :0). I'll use that line every day!!!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-12, 20:36

Plan: Primal/whole 30
Stats: 208/179/158 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI 27,goal 25
Progress: 58%

The Eskiel Sesame bread has 14g carbs for a slice, 4g of protein. I love it but I think it would be more of a maintenance type of food every once in a while. I can't currently eat it or 100% whole grain pasta right now because they both stop me from losing weight.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-12, 21:12

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Eh. Not interested in a substitute, personally. Don't think it would be satisfying.

I have been experimenting with coconut to create crunchy faux-breading on chicken and fish but that's about the closest I get.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-12, 14:29
Registered Member

Plan: General Low carb
Stats: 212/186/175 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsteen
You can make bread out of flax, then toast it.. There is also a "muffin in a minute" (MIM), which people say is like bread.. or plenty of other recipes on this forum or the internet. Like Babbette says, there isn't anything quite like the real thing, so the best thing to do is not think about it. Soon, you'll not even miss it.

I just tried the MIM and it was quite delicious. In the morning with cinnamon, and cream cheese, It would be great. Maybe if you let it sit overnight in the fridge then toast, it might come close to crunchy bread.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 17:10
Registered Member

Plan: stillman, atkins, healthy
Stats: 173/148/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by astribling
I just tried the MIM and it was quite delicious. In the morning with cinnamon, and cream cheese, It would be great. Maybe if you let it sit overnight in the fridge then toast, it might come close to crunchy bread.

i didnt think of toastin it! nice idea, cant wait to try that!!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Aug-09-12, 19:00

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by astribling
Thanks everyone! I will check out some of those recipes. The Wheat Belly sounds very interesting, and I am definitely addicted! In just the few short days so far I feel better already.

And a cheat day sounds good! LOL About 10 years ago I did the Body for Life diet, which wasn't exactly low carb, but definitely lower and healthy carbs with protein. [B] I do remember doing a cheat day with that! I just worry that one cheat day and my cravings will come back.
[/B]

Thanks for all the feedback!!

As I was reading the responses, I was thinking just this point !!!! If I get off for one day all my cravings come back in an instant and I can'tget back on Atkins for months and the pounds pile back on. KNOW THY SELF!

For a cruchy bread, thry the finn crisps. IT is a rye flour base, so not sure where it fits with the wheat belly issues, but it is crunchy and packaged so you can count the carbs accurately.

I was a baker. I baked everyday after school all thu HS. ANd ate everything I baked. The entire batch of cookies, the cake and the bread. I did n't O was a carb addict. NOW I don't eat the breads, I don't even crave it any more; when I do sample it , it actually doesn't taste as good as I remember. DH and I are both super bread makers, and limit baking to special events and holidays. Everyone else in the family is a carb addict they just don't know it! LOL

You will learn to live without it. Isn't your health worth so much more than a slice of bread??????? Hang in there, find an alternative to help fill the void!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Aug-15-12, 21:39
Registered Member

BF:

theres an interesting noodle out there: hard to find. but i bought two at Mitsua, here in illinois. thats a large japanese market. they were 1.99 bag. they are made from tofu and yams. 20 calories and zero carbs!! you have to rinse them really well over and over to get the liquid off, but we had them with butter, olive oil and pepper, and they were great!! SHIRATAKI NOODLES!! excellent product!!
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-12, 00:59

Plan: Atkins - O.W.L.
Stats: 197/172/150 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 53%

Toasted almonds or walnuts can satisfy the desire for crunch. Weight out 1 oz and cut up an oz of cheese. Put a bit of cheese on a nut & it's even nicer than cheese & crackers.

Once I climbed the carb ladder and could have yoghurt sometimes, I will mix in ~ 1.5 oz of sunflower and pumpkin seeds, some cinammon, nutmeg, & 1 splenda & it's very satisfying and crunchy too.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-12, 02:25

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
a thyroid killer like millet

Oooh! I didn't know millet was bad for the thyroid! I bought some ages ago thinking it was healthy, and recently I've been using it to add some crunch to my foods - it's excellent. I only use about 1 tsp occasionally, but thyroid problems run in my family. I was feeling pretty darn good on it too, lol. Thanks for the warning.

Edit to add: I've just read up about millet - seemingly the seeds contain small amounts of goiterogenic substances that limit uptake of iodine to the thyroid. However, other foods that also contain these substances include brussel sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, mustard greens, spinach, turnips, rutabagas, cassava, soy beans and peanuts - most of these are readily eaten by low-carbers. Do you think millet is worse, for some reason? I've increased my intake of veggies recently, including a lot of kale, spinach, cabbage and cauliflower and it gave me more energy, rather than less.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Thu, Aug-16-12 at 03:32.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-12, 08:53

Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lean Ape
Why not incorporate a cheat day once a week? We eat whatever we want on Saturdays and it has a number of positive effects. If you are not following Atkins but just eating lower carb then there is no problem with this.

I don't know about anyone else...but this is suicide for me.

I could never do this....I need a really recognizible line in the sand; otherwise I make excuses to cross it.

Sort of like when I used to smoke pot and try and limit my consumption...

"....ok...just smoke on weekends...."

A week later....

"...ok...Friday is almost a weekend....puff...."

Two weeks later...

"....thursday is almost friday....puff, cough cough!...."

And so on....
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-12, 08:56

Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-POW
i didnt think of toastin it! nice idea, cant wait to try that!!

can someone link to this recipe? I can't find it.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Aug-16-12, 09:13

Stats: 238/174/170 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich

I don't have link. You can just google muffin in a minute and recipes will come up.
I use some almond meal in mine instead of all flax
My recipe
1tbs flax
3Tbs almond meal...or all flax if on induction
1 tsp or up to 1tbs of butter depending if you wsnt moist for muffin or drier for bread.
1/2tsp baking powder
1 egg
1Pkt splenda
Mix and microwave for 1 minute in square shaped container for bread or in a deeper cup for a muffin.
Eat hot for muffin or let cool and slice for bread.

The chocolate version is yummy and induction friendly.
Just add 1 tbs spoon cocoa powder and tbs heavy cream or half n half and add some more sweetener.

Good luck.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Aug-20-12, 00:44
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpavich

http://healthybodydaily.com/dr-oz-i...energy-boosters