Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, May-21-17, 12:07

Plan: Ketogains
Stats: 380/185/180 Male 70
BF:
Progress:
Default My loose skin

I do have some significant skin. Someone informed me that it was being discussed here. I am going to see how it repairs naturally for one year of maintenance. After that if it bothers me I may have skin removal surgery.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, May-21-17, 12:58
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwharton76
I do have some significant skin. Someone informed me that it was being discussed here. I am going to see how it repairs naturally for one year of maintenance. After that if it bothers me I may have skin removal surgery.

Congratulations Nathan! What an amazing success story. Isn't your new life totally awesome? So many people with a lot to lose as so worried about the loose skin. After seeing the end results on those "biggest loser" shows, I have to admin that I was too. But now that I have shed most of the weight and actually have some loose skin issues I wouldn't trade places with my morbidly obese self for the world. I can deal with the loose skin that I have.

Last edited by khrussva : Sun, May-21-17 at 13:09.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, May-21-17, 13:13
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

about eating fat, apparently getting too many calories from any source can cause a stall if you're struggling with those "last ten" pounds!

Just sent that above article/testimonial to my doctor brother who's trying to lose 10 on the Dean Ornish plan. He once told me in response to my diet "Atkins was overweight and he died of a heart attack."

Last edited by mike_d : Sun, May-21-17 at 13:29.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, May-22-17, 06:25

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
about eating fat, apparently getting too many calories from any source can cause a stall if you're struggling with those "last ten" pounds!

Just sent that above article/testimonial to my doctor brother who's trying to lose 10 on the Dean Ornish plan. He once told me in response to my diet "Atkins was overweight and he died of a heart attack."

I did count calories. In fact I counted everything. My normal macros were 145p/85f/20c sometimes my fat would go to 90.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, May-22-17, 11:45

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

About the loose skin. The following is only an idea, not how it actually works.

OK, so we got fat tissue that grows in a permanent fashion from what's called insulin-induced lipohypertrophy. Maybe skin grows in a similar fashion through some similar means, so we can't really do much about it. However, for fat tissue there's a drug called Adipotide or prohibitin-targeting peptide 1 (PTP-1) which acts on blood vessel cells to trigger apoptosis which then leads to adipocyte apoptosis from asphyxia. Maybe skin tissue can be shrunk in a similar fashion. I'm not aware of such a drug or mechanism, I'm just looking at a precedent for it in fat tissue and PTP-1.

Everybody knows about that glow pregnant mothers get. What's the cause? Growth hormone, no doubt. It's the most potent growth agent, it's also essential for repair maintenance and regeneration, so obviously that glow comes from a tremendous regeneration of skin cells. Basically, baby skin.

Growth occurs at a rate that could be much slower than fat loss, years instead of months. It's kind of paradoxical that growth would end up as the skin shrinking, but let's see where this leads anyways. OK, if skin growth and fat loss are significantly out of sync, we're gonna see more loose skin the quicker the fat loss. Also, before there's fat loss, there's obviously been lack of skin growth from lack of growth hormone, so that's something to consider. For pregnancy, we're not dealing with fat loss, but with some fat accumulation from the various hormones invoked for the baby's growth, so that problem wouldn't exist there, so we'd only see the skin improvement.

Anyways, the point is I see growth hormone as a potential help with loose skin to some degree. If not to shrink it, at least to make it look a bit better, healthier, that glow I'm talking about. Not saying to go the unapproved route, but for those who can afford it (it's ridiculously expensive), there's "rejuvenation" clinics who deal with that kind of thing, so at least it's one place to ask about that.

Regardless, the story reminds me of a story right here about Mike (and his friend, Lee) I think his name is. It's very inspiring to say the least.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, May-23-17, 06:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Nathan
DietDoctor picked up your story from The Daily Mail, and two cute photos!
https://www.dietdoctor.com/keto-cou...pounds-together
  #22   ^
Old Thu, May-25-17, 08:13

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Welcome Nathan
DietDoctor picked up your story from The Daily Mail, and two cute photos!
https://www.dietdoctor.com/keto-cou...pounds-together

Awesome thanks for letting me know. I probably won't should fill out some information on here when I get a chance chance.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, May-25-17, 08:36

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Do stick around Nathan, I'm sure you can inspire an help a bunch of folks here, myself first of all!
  #24   ^
Old Thu, May-25-17, 09:11
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I think two more Success Stories on this forum would be AWESOME. Yep - Thud. I think that the world is ready for your story, too. It may seem somewhat self-serving, but the reality is that those stories can be tremendously helpful for others looking for a solution that works. I know I spent hours reading dozens of success stories when I first started out. Just knowing what was possible was highly motivating. Learning their secrets to success were often helpful. If we can inspire others to heal themselves as we were inspired, then we are paying it forward.

Here is the link to the Success Stories

http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, May-25-17 at 12:39.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, May-25-17, 12:37

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
I think two more Success Stories on this forum would be AWESOME. Yep - Thud. I think that the world is ready for your story, too. It may seem somewhat self-serving, but the reality is that those stores tremendously helpful for others looking for a solution that works. I know I spent hours reading dozens of success stories when I first started out. Just knowing what was possible was highly motivating. Learning their secrets to success were often helpful. If we can inspire others to heal themselves as we were inspired, then we are paying it forward.

Yes! Yes! Yes! The success stories have an incredible effect on me. Thank you to Nathan, Ken, and everyone else who has shared.